Derry v Tyrone - Celtic park Sun 22nd May

Started by tyroneman, April 25, 2016, 06:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhailov

Quote from: Onthe40 on May 17, 2016, 10:27:24 PM
I'd have question marks over Richie's pace and ability to fit into mickeys system of run, run run..yes he's a big physical player and can kick a point but......

Totally disagree - Richie more than capable of playing the system. He can run all day long and has been doing it for last 12 months. Will be surprised if he doesn't start but MH championship teams are almost impossible to predict.

tiempo

I'd have question marks over Richie's pace and ability to fit into mickeys system of run, run run..yes he's a big physical player and can kick a point but......

there's no room in the modern game for big men that can kick points, that Dublin team is tiny sure

Wildweasel74

Derry going poor as long as i can remember, simply disorganized at the back and no midfield, Connor Murphy should been tried there from the start of the league, Derry goalkeeper gives away too many points with his kick outs, the 2 best forwards in Derry are still the 2 Bradleys and they haven't been about awhile, the team actually looked unfit during the league so it hard to see how they will have made up the fitness difference in 6 weeks. The best Derry team will not be on the pitch on sunday, and there record at celtic park since 2010 is simply shocking, Tyrone likely to win pulling up but you never know, 1 offs occasional happen.

bogball88

What about pre match pints-wheres decent?

Keyser soze

Quote from: tiempo on May 17, 2016, 10:46:25 PM

there's no room in the modern game for big men that can kick points, that Dublin team is tiny sure

Derry have a couple of these players... I would imagine they will be picked up by McCann and Brennan and spend their time chasing in their wake as they surge up the field time and again...until the big men run out of steam....complete carnage

Wildweasel74

Try the bluebell, there Mary B beside the pitch but it small and fills fairly quick, Celtic bar wouldn't drink it in unless you stuck lol

FermGael

Lads is Rory Brennan injured?
I have heard he has done the hamstring
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

JoG2

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 18, 2016, 11:38:09 AM
Quote from: tiempo on May 17, 2016, 10:46:25 PM

Derry have a couple of these players... I would imagine they will be picked up by McCann and Brennan and spend their time chasing in their wake as they surge up the field time and again...until the big men run out of steam....complete carnage

thank christ Damian and Brian are picking the team and not yourself !

Atticus_Finch

I've been patiently waiting for my 666th post since the day I signed up to this board.  I am hoping some black magic can come from it and benefit the Oak Leaf County.

With this post I would like to call upon the dark forces of Black Magic, Witchcraft and general skulduggery to forget about their gaelic team of choice, Tyrone, who they have long been associated with (think of Cavanagh's cynically hauling down Conor McManus in the All Ireland quarter final of 2013,  the subsequent birth of the black card, Peter "The Average" and all his referee deceiving trickery and probably the most evil of all things Tyrone ........ RICEY)   and come over to the bright side and get behind Derry who could do with all the help they can get.

I would say to the dark side, put your powers to good use ...  look at Game of Thrones and that aul witch bringing Jon Snow back from the dead to fight the good fight.

Surely you have got all the kicks you can out of the evilness of Tyrone and need a new project to invest in ... you would be made most welcome to start your new project this Sunday.

Doire abu  ;)

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Jinxy

You're wasting your time Atticus.
The devil is a Throne man through and through.
Where do you think they got the red hand from.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BennyHarp

Right, cutting out all the bullshit - Tyrone to win this by at least 8 points!
That was never a square ball!!

screenexile

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 18, 2016, 03:32:16 PM

Fair play for at least one of you having a set of balls!!

sambostar

Quote from: screenexile on May 18, 2016, 03:46:40 PM

Weather forecast isn't looking good so could see this turning into a low-scoring, tight, niggly affair

Surely Derry will come out fired up but hopefully once the initial storm is weathered & the game settles down Tyrone's better balanced team & system will win through - Tyrone by 4  :)

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: screenexile on May 18, 2016, 03:46:40 PM

I'd be interested to see the stats of how many games in Ulster have been won by this margin in the past 10 years - guarantee it would be under 10%. I think we (Tyrone) will win on Sunday but I think it'll be by 3 points maximum. Derry will be massively up for the game, and i see the forecast for Sunday is for rain. A wet day on a tight pitch like Celtic Park would be a big leveller.

Looking at Laois' performance v Wicklow at the weekend I think that would support the argument that Tyrone have been overhyped this year bearing in mind we had a tough enough time beating Laois in the league. Also, alot of the praise for Tyrone has centered around our pace, fitness and running game, alot of which stems from the half back line. Rory Brennan and Tiernan McCann are both carrying hamstring injuries into this game - it'll be interested to see if they both play and if this has any effect.

Another strength of Tyrone's this year is the sweeper system where Colm Cav and Justy Mc have excelled. Justy Mc is also a doubt for this game. If he doesn't play this would have a big impact bearing in mind the physicality he brings which we could do with against the likes of Emmet McGuckin/ Ryan Bell and Derry's fondness for the high ball.

As always in the Ulster Championship, the winner will need to be accurate from placed balls. Ronan O'Neill has been relatively successful in this regard this year for Tyrone from the right side, although he has still missed a few and this type of occassion will be a test of his nerve. Regarding our left hand free takers - Mark Bradley had a poor day on them on the League final while McCurry has form for missing his fair share on the big days. Think Derry have the advantage in this regard with Kielt, Bell and Lynch.

This being said, I still reckon Tyrone will win but we should be very wary of an amush and talk of Derry getting a hammering is ridiculous considering the nature of the Ulster Championship and the history of this fixture

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.