Dublin on Saturday

Started by bogball88, August 20, 2015, 11:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogball88

Heading down to Dublin for the Tyrone Kerry match this weekend and few of us are staying down the Saturday near Connolly station. Where would be decent for pints during the day and evening time before heading out for the night? All suggestions welcome

gallsman

Quote from: bogball88 on August 20, 2015, 11:37:14 AM
Heading down to Dublin for the Tyrone Kerry match this weekend and few of us are staying down the Saturday near Connolly station. Where would be decent for pints during the day and evening time before heading out for the night? All suggestions welcome

Pubs that aren't near Connolly Station  ;)

What kind of age group is it? Single or spoken for? In general, George's Street (and Dame Lane), South William Street (and the various streets in and around that area) and Baggott Street would be my preference. Good pints, good grub available near them all.

bogball88

A mixture of both single and spoken for men, not too fussy where we go just somewhere with good atmosphere and good craic really, obviously nowhere too fancy ;D

macdanger2

What sort of pubs are you looking for??

Old pubs with a nice pint, I'd recommend Bowes on Fleet St., The Long Hall on George's St. and maybe the Chatham lounge off Grafton St.

Livelier pubs for the evening, I'd probably recommend around Camden St., maybe Cassidys & Ryans and Whelans afterwards. Coppers, the Black Door, Diceys all close by to there as well to finish up in

Actually, if you're coming from Connolly, you could do Mulligans on Poolbeg st, Bowes, the Palace Bar on the edge of Temple Bar, Long Hall and on up to Camden St.

Denn Forever

Could head up to Fairview  Gaffneys (?) nice old pub. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

gallsman

If on Camden Street, there'll be plenty of craic in Flannery's the night before the match.

Stag's Head to Globe to Long Hall to Flannery's. Good wee dander.

highorlow

QuoteWhere would be decent for pints during the day and evening time

The Boar's Head on Capel st is good, small pub, Cavan Man Hughie owns it, it's about 3 x LUAS stops from Connolly / Busarus.

You won't go wrong in Cleary's under the bridge either, just a 50 yard walk to the right as your coming out of the main Connolly entrance, it's a real Dublin pub and the aul lads in there are good craic.

The Celt used to be good, it's on the bottom of Talbot st and if you don't mind the tourists it's probably ok for an early evening pint.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

5 Sams

+1 for Mulligans and The Palace. O'Neills on Suffolk St have a deadly carvery lunch, good pints but lots of tourists. Take Gallsman's advice and don't hang around the Connolly St/Busaras area.
The Aristocrat Years

Canalman

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 20, 2015, 02:11:39 PM
+1 for Mulligans and The Palace. O'Neills on Suffolk St have a deadly carvery lunch, good pints but lots of tourists. Take Gallsman's advice and don't hang around the Connolly St/Busaras area.

-1 for Mulligans . Kip imo. Chaplins around the corner far nicer.  Not too fond personally of O'Neills but can see why others would warm to it.

AZOffaly

I like the Palace Bar, lovely pint in there. Most others I could take or leave to be honest. Full of Dubs sure. ;)

highorlow

For food in that area try the Long Stone, can't go wrong, nice bar also. Next street up from Mulligans.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Clov

Its yonks since i been there but the Flowing Tide is a grand spot, is it not? If you are to go drinking near Connolly Station.

edit: I also have always liked the Palace Bar and the International Bar.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Billys Boots

The Palace is peerless for a pint of plain.  Mulligan's isn't what it used to be.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 20, 2015, 02:44:29 PM
I like the Palace Bar, lovely pint in there. Most others I could take or leave to be honest. Full of Dubs sure. ;)
Dublin would be a great place if it wasn't for the Dubs...

+1 for Bowes on Fleet St. It's a quiet spot but great pints in it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Quote from: gallsman on August 20, 2015, 11:58:24 AM
If on Camden Street, there'll be plenty of craic in Flannery's the night before the match.

Stag's Head to Globe to Long Hall to Flannery's. Good wee dander.

Stag's Head yes and Long Hall yes.

I am getting too old for the other two.

Maybe  - Bowe's - The Palace - Stag's Head and Long Hall before choosing any of the late night bars nearby.
MWWSI 2017