Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

On another note.... surprise win for St Brigids over Portglenone. What is the story with county players in these games? I see the likes of Crozier playing. I guess it's on a case by case basis?

JimStynes

They nearly feel like glorified friendlies. A lot of teams not even remotely close to full strength.

bannside

St Brigids are going to be stronger this year, full panel for first time in years with many working abroad or taking years out to travel the world all home and available. Won minor and under 21 championships in recent years, this group now presenting themselves at senior. Good new manager in place who is highly thought of, so expect them to be very competitive this year. Caught us with last minute goal, no excuses from PG1.

The agreement as far as I know it is that if you play half a county match, or less, you are free to play for your club. So.. Niall Delargy played for us, and Niall Mc Keever and Dermot Mc Aleese sat it out.

I think this year is all about the championship, league just preparation for that.

imtommygunn

Who is their manager BS?

bannside

Anthony Mc Grath, ITG. Held in high regard from those who know him at QUB. I expect he will push them on a bit this year.

BigBallWeeBall

St Brides defo on the up with more players available perhaps due to travel restrictions. Have won at least 1 u21 but think minor still eludes them with a few finals/semis not going their way.

imtommygunn

Rossa are a good bit stronger with travel restrictions in place too. Good win for them.

Belfast GAA man

Is the rule about county's players playing club a father teD one ? Whatever u think urself Dougal

asaffgael

Has Stewart played much for All Saints? Looks a great find.

EOC1923

Quote from: asaffgael on May 17, 2021, 03:06:14 PM
I would say he has, great to see him and Loughran starting, Pat Shivers was reportedly close to starting but for an injury. Antrim were well organised, well lined out and had a bite about them which was great to see.

bannside

There's going to be injuries, especially in a shortened season, full pelt now in league, straight into championship, and 30 players looking for 15 starting jerseys, so there should be a bite at training. That's what the panel is for. Most other years the team could almost have picked itself, this year its wide open bar a handful of nailed on starters.

Home to Sligo on Sunday, another difficult assignment, never much between us.

NatSoSaff

Quote from: EOC1923 on May 17, 2021, 04:15:39 PM
Quote from: asaffgael on May 17, 2021, 03:06:14 PM
I would say he has, great to see him and Loughran starting, Pat Shivers was reportedly close to starting but for an injury. Antrim were well organised, well lined out and had a bite about them which was great to see.

Those 3 lads all starred for the U20 side that took Tyrone to the wire last year. No one is looking to get carried away but things are certainly looking up, and as someone else says there, with a handful of men to come back in then we are allowed to get excited  ;D

asaffgael

Is Matt Fitz playing for the county this year?

bannside

Playing soccer for Glenavon, but soccer in NI will be wrapped up in a couple of weeks, and he would be some addition to the panel (certain starter at 11) for the months of June and July. Timing perfect to allow him back to Glenavon in August.You would assume management will be all over this. Last time he played in Athletic Grounds he hit the net twice as far as I can remember, against Tyrone.

whatwillbwillb

Quote from: bannside on May 19, 2021, 07:52:00 AM
Playing soccer for Glenavon, but soccer in NI will be wrapped up in a couple of weeks, and he would be some addition to the panel (certain starter at 11) for the months of June and July. Timing perfect to allow him back to Glenavon in August.You would assume management will be all over this. Last time he played in Athletic Grounds he hit the net twice as far as I can remember, against Tyrone.

Bit surprised and shocked at your response bannside, taking your previous and present involvement , talented the lad may be and getting remunerated for it I'm sure and good luck to him all day no issue at all. However if your the young cubs the likes of Loughran No 11 studying in Dublin, travelling up numerous times a week etc and big kudos to the present management now using and they are performing. Far from Lenny who talked the talk as always to the media, leaving/ignoring these cubs on the line or in stand, it would be a such a negative statement to put out there so early in the campaign. ?