Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I have done the calf strengthening a lot too. It's very frustrating but I think tbh particularly now with WFH that it really is not good for the mobility of back, hips, hamstrings etc and really just needs discipline in keeping the whole chain going.

I love the running though would be quite injury prone at it. I would be of the opinion that rather than it being bad for you it is just unforgiving so if you have weaknesses in there running is just going to bring them out.

imtommygunn

On another note Nadia Power is doing some great times in the 800 metres these days. She smashed the national indoor record yesterday. Robinson coming back nicely, Tobin flying and Andrew Corcoran starting to make a name for himself in the 1500. (Dublin track club seems the place to be at at the minute).

Mageean is maybe dropping off a bit but there is massive competition in the womens 800 metres these days. There are 4 or 5 under 2:05 recently and Mageean seems the slowest but this will pick up. Katie Kirk in there too which is good to see as she has had a few problems over the last number of years. I think the world indoors? is coming up so really good to see the competition in there.

bogball88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfF4f-QGRn8
Good 5 minute warm up that can be done in the house before starting a warm up. I find it very useful after sitting most of the day

imtommygunn

Cheers bogball. That kind of thing would definitely help.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 18, 2021, 08:54:48 AM
I foam roll non stop lol. I do banded exercises a lot but if I stop them then after about a week everything goes to shit again. Yeah hamstrings from too much sitting also not ideal. I try and stretch too but too easy to get out of the habit.
Not ideal alright
Look at more hip exercises and single leg exercises
Single leg deadlifts, split squats, single leg (supported) squat, side lunges (deadlifts)
Your legs are as strong as the weakest link in chain

imtommygunn

Thanks manfromdelmonte. I also suffer from the fact that I would once have been half fast as a runner and am getting old so shouldn't be doing my runs at sub 7 minute miles especially when I am sitting half the day lol.

tintin25

Working from home has definitely had an effect on my running.  When pretty fit I could comfortably do 5km in 22 to 25 mins.  Found anytime I've been out recently I get pain/tightness round by calves and down towards feet after 1/2 km and I just can't build up any speed at all.  Lucky if I do 5km in 30 mins.

imtommygunn

Honestly it's the sitting I think. It kills you. Need to find ways to couteract what it does really.

Milltown Row2

For me the niggling injuries I've had recently is completely down to not being at the gym! I was doing strength work tailored workouts which were strengthening the muscles around my joints.

I'd have always finished off when a stretch routine, now it's just a scattered workout randomly in the house!

Get the gyms opened up!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 18, 2021, 05:35:16 PM
For me the niggling injuries I've had recently is completely down to not being at the gym! I was doing strength work tailored workouts which were strengthening the muscles around my joints.

I'd have always finished off when a stretch routine, now it's just a scattered workout randomly in the house!

Get the gyms opened up!
I download pieces of relaxing music that are 20-25 mins long
Put them on and stretch for the full duration
Either that or a yoga video off youtube

imtommygunn

New indoor 800 record for mark English pushed all the way by Cian Mc Phillips who got a new u20 record. Mens 800 interesting too. (Shoes are playing a factor in times might I add)

laoislad

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 20, 2021, 06:30:04 PM
New indoor 800 record for mark English pushed all the way by Cian Mc Phillips who got a new u20 record. Mens 800 interesting too. (Shoes are playing a factor in times might I add)
Do you reckon there will be any mass participation events up North this year? When is the Belfast Marathon usually?
Can't see how the Dublin Marathon will go ahead, no way they are going to let 25000 people cram into Merrion Sq this year.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

It's usually in May. The half in September is already changed to virtual.

I'd be happy with parkrun by end of the year at current rate. (There actually were quite a few races over last summer here - they weren't the huge participation ones but in the hundred plus category anyway. I suspect they could maybe come back).

I couldn't see any of the city marathons on at all.

laoislad

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 20, 2021, 09:05:51 PM
It's usually in May. The half in September is already changed to virtual.

I'd be happy with parkrun by end of the year at current rate. (There actually were quite a few races over last summer here - they weren't the huge participation ones but in the hundred plus category anyway. I suspect they could maybe come back).

I couldn't see any of the city marathons on at all.
Yeah even getting Park Runs back would be something. Can't see any of the big city races happening at all.
I got my usual thanks but no thanks email from the London Marathon last week. I wonder will that even go ahead.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Some good performances so far in the euro indoors. Maybe a few outside shots at a medal too.