The Covid all Ireland hurling championship 2020/21

Started by seafoid, June 26, 2020, 07:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

I've seen them right through the 80's they came out on the wrong side of some battles, that can be labelled to a lot of teams. I've never seen them down tools, they lacked the final 10 minutes in a game at times, that wasn't down to being soft, It was fitness, they've addressed that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I do think their footballers possibly fall into that category and should be so much better but definitely not the hurlers. I doubt anyone ever called Tony Keady, Sylvie Linnane or Ger McInerney soft and lived to tell the tale lol. Some of those shoulder challenges against Limerick you felt yourself wincing at.

Don Cockburn

I think Limerick will have too much for Waterford. While the scoreline against Galway looked close, there was never a point in the game where I thought we'd lose.

sid waddell

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 11, 2020, 08:52:56 AM
I do think their footballers possibly fall into that category and should be so much better but definitely not the hurlers. I doubt anyone ever called Tony Keady, Sylvie Linnane or Ger McInerney soft and lived to tell the tale lol. Some of those shoulder challenges against Limerick you felt yourself wincing at.
Galway hurlers underperformed for many years though

Between the end of the 87/88 team - which was the 1990 final - and the 2015-present team there were about four individual years in which they properly got it together (1993, 2001, 2005, 2012), and maybe another three or four individual years in which they were a bit unlucky (2000, 2002, 2009, 2010)

The rest of the time they just weren't at the races at all, which usually meant they could be at the races, and let their hair down

They had fantastic underage teams during these years, but at senior seemed to be in a permanent state of transition, they had more players than they knew what to do with

You'd even say that one All-Ireland for this current team is a poor enough return

imtommygunn

I don't think structures helped them prior to leinster when they had only one match to be fair to them in that regard.

I do think they have a problem bringing underage talent through. They've got so much you do wonder what happens to the half of it. I have a feeling it is one of those counties where the club scene is very damaging to the county scene with club rivalries etc though that is only through some things I hear.(just a feeling but when you for example are like Canning and are playing clubs with boys who trod on your head then you are maybe a bit wary of some other clubs lol)

Agreed I would say they probably should have more than one with current crop. While they ran Limerick close(ish) like someone else said here there was never really a point in that game where they looked like winning. With Canning not getting any younger you'd imagine they will drop off a bit from being genuine contenders too. I don't think they had a team over about a 15-20 year period that was really capable of winning an all ireland  ability wise despite a few final appearances. (early to mid nineties to about the 2010/11/12 mark - basically when Joe came on the scene)

mouview

Quote from: reillycavan on December 10, 2020, 11:30:49 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 29, 2020, 05:17:20 PM
This is great experience for Galway. I'd take a loss here for an all Ireland next year.

Galway like footballers too soft.  Won handy All Ireland against Waterford in 2017. Will be long time before win All Ireland in hurling or football again at senior level.

Bit like calling the Cork hurlers from 2005 onwards soft.

up the rovers

Big match tomorrow. Limerick rightly favourites but I have a sneaky suspicion that Waterford might spring a surprise. Thats where my fiver is going anyway. Waterford to run the legs off them.

Milltown Row2

Seems the weather might play a part today in both games....

Greasy wet ball, handling will be tested and the odd slip may let a player in on goal.

In fairness to Limerick they adopted pretty well thst night it lashed on them

Hopefully both games serve up a cracker, wishing Antrim all the best, Kerry and Antrim have met 3 times already this season, they'll have picked up a few things from each game. Expect a tight game

All games to be finished on the day o take it?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

I was watching the camogie and Munster minor hurling last night.

Must be just the senior hurling that's using the new yellow sliotar?

reillycavan

Rossfan

Congrats to " Millhouse" and the Antrim lads.
Soon be time to split it into Belfast and Antrim :D;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sid waddell

I've seen pitch in Croke Park in better condition

Antrim were much the better team in the first game, should have won by more

Yer man for Kerry should have dropped the ball into the square looking for the equalising goal from that free instead of taking a point, you're highly unlikely to get a better chance, can never understand why players do that

marty34

Quote from: sid waddell on December 13, 2020, 03:19:43 PM
I've seen pitch in Croke Park in better condition

Antrim were much the better team in the first game, should have won by more

Yer man for Kerry should have dropped the ball into the square looking for the equalising goal from that free instead of taking a point, you're highly unlikely to get a better chance, can never understand why players do that

Yes, I think the pitch is patchy enough in certain areas.

Capt Pat

There doesn't look to be anything wrong with De Burca coming off. Can he come back on?

sid waddell

Waterford badly need a goal

And you can't say they haven't had chances for them