The Covid all Ireland hurling championship 2020/21

Started by seafoid, June 26, 2020, 07:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaillimhIarthair

Galway threw that game away in 2 absolute mins of madness - 5 up and well in control and threw it away. Might be a blessing in disguise in the long run. A win would have glossed over a few positional issues.  Team and management will be rightly sickened this evening though.

seafoid

Small margins though

Another day Lawlor would have been sent off or Canning would have scored a goal
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mouview

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 14, 2020, 07:52:53 PM
I only saw the last fifteen but Galway were rubbish. Can't see them challenging limerick.

KK were rubbish up to that and you think they will?

imtommygunn

Didn't say that! Tbh maybe harsh as didn't see the full game but just expected a lot more from Galway. Maybe they'll improve yet.

Milltown Row2

Watched first ten minutes, recorded it and watched it later on, after a couple bottles of wine and two espresso martinis! Will watch it again  ;D

But the funny thing was, I was texted the result and even though I was watching the match knowing the result I couldn't understand how they lost that game! Galway were head and shoulders the better team, and collapsed!

Momentum is incredible, hard to stop impossible to break late on. Hats off to Kilkenny and Cody, Richies goal was unreal.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2020, 10:44:38 AM
Watched first ten minutes, recorded it and watched it later on, after a couple bottles of wine and two espresso martinis! Will watch it again  ;D

But the funny thing was, I was texted the result and even though I was watching the match knowing the result I couldn't understand how they lost that game! Galway were head and shoulders the better team, and collapsed!

Momentum is incredible, hard to stop impossible to break late on. Hats off to Kilkenny and Cody, Richies goal was unreal.

Slack as the back. Hogan unmarked few times and should have had another

marty34

Kilkenny just hung in there, as normal.  You know what you get with them. Great credit to Cody.  They are using the short puck out a lot more, a bit wobbly at times but they kept at it.  Dodgy in the full back line though but didn't concede a goal last night but you think back to the Dublin game.

Galway always looked in control and a bit more dangerous up top but couldn't get a goal.

Joe missed a crucial free or 65 near the end which would've closed the gap.  Small margins.  Thing is Galway only have a week to prepare, and if they win that, then only another week.

Walsh and Fennelly were very quiet last night.  Cody showed very well in the first half but can't see Walsh and Fennelly being as quiet again, that also goes for T.J., from open play but the magic at the ends sums him up.

Waterford should battle hard V Limerick today but Limerick will be hard to stop. A team for all weathers!

Milltown Row2

Waterford not going away..

Some wayward shooting with the wind
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jeepers Creepers

Great work rate from Waterford but Limerick just keep to the plan and keep chipping away.

imtommygunn

They do come across as a "stick to the process" kind of team.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 15, 2020, 05:48:45 PM
They do come across as a "stick to the process" kind of team.

I suppose it's a tried and tested process that gets results. When players step away from it (like Limerick did for a bit) the other team gets a foothold in the game. The wayward shooting from distance built up their wide count

johnnycool

Quote from: SHEEDY on November 14, 2020, 07:56:29 PM
Galway looked comfortable for 3/4's of that match. A minute of madness cost them, they never hurled at all in last 10 minutes.

Daithi Burke lost a bit of concentration for one of the goals and the keeper whilst too rash to come out needed to come out with a bit of purpose and take the man as well as the ball and didn't take either and kinda jumped out of the challenge. He needs to be braver in those situations. His puck outs are like arrows though!

Galway will be kicking themselves, the better team over the 70 minutes but giving soft frees kept Kilkenny in it. Refs are picking up on the spare arm tugs. Once Kilkenny went with TJ Reid and Hogan in the FF line, big McInerney or Harte should have dropped in there to sweep as it was pretty obvious what Kilkenny were going to do and it worked like a dream for them.
If the two are to meet again this year then I'd fancy Galway but they now have to get over Limerick to do that and that's where the real battle lies ahead.

johnnycool

Quote from: up the rovers on November 14, 2020, 05:44:47 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 14, 2020, 05:41:07 PM
Down beat Offaly on penalties in the Christy ring. That's unexpected.
Unexpected but great to see. Well played Down. Feel slightly for Offaly as they would be my favourite county outside Antrim. Another year in the Christy Ring for Offaly, will Fennelly stay on?

Fennelly and his expensive enough backroom team..

Great win for Down and I'd be a liar if I said it was expected but the split of the season has meant that lads who otherwise couldn't commit to hurl for both now can, the likes of Conor Woods in at centre back makes a huge difference to Down this year. Coupled with the fact most of these lads came off the back of a tight club championship campaign of 5/6 weeks of competitive hurling on the bounce took them straight into a league win over Derry and then to beat Derry a few weeks later again in the CR was a huge monkey off their backs.

Didn't get to see the game but my man in the stand on the mic reckons it was no fluke and if anything Offaly were the ones lucky to get the draw at the end of normal time.
Wee Keith is a good penalty stopper. He's saved a few against us in the championship this year and last with big Magic firing them at him, so the Down lads were confident enough when it went to penalties.

Kildare next up, a win would be nice but both are promoted to the Joe McDonagh for next year.

johnnycool

Tipp v Galway
Clare v Waterford

All getting tight now with straight knockout.

Tipp v Galway, I'd be inclined to go for Galway based on 50 plus minutes of the Leinster final, but Tipp will have seen enough in the last quarter to have a serious chance. Big mental test for Galway.

Waterford will go into this game as favourites, Clare showed a bit more against Wexford and are improving per game, Tony Kelly is unplayable at the minute, but so is Tadgh DeBurca IMO. Two serious talents but Waterford to shade this one IMO.

Conlon and Duggan seem to be gone for the year, big loss to Clare.

seafoid

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on November 14, 2020, 08:31:08 PM
Galway threw that game away in 2 absolute mins of madness - 5 up and well in control and threw it away. Might be a blessing in disguise in the long run. A win would have glossed over a few positional issues.  Team and management will be rightly sickened this evening though.
It was the indiscipline that lost the match. Handing soft frees to KK is pointless
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU