Westmeath Hurlers - Fair Play

Started by AZOffaly, December 12, 2016, 04:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Don't know if this was mentioned before, but fair play to the Westmeath Senior and Under 21 Hurlers, who are trying to draw attention to the plight of the homeless in Ireland, and Dublin in particular, this Christmas. They're giving up a post match meal from 2017 to donate 100 dinners to the homeless around Grafton Street at 8.30pm tonight. Fair play to them, and I think it would be great if other counties followed suit.

The GAA is all about friends and family, and looking after each other, so maybe this could become a 'thing'.

Well done Adrian Moran and all involved.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/westmeath-hurlers-are-making-a-stunning-gesture-that-will-restore-your-faith-in-humanity-35283738.html

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 12, 2016, 04:23:37 PM
Don't know if this was mentioned before, but fair play to the Westmeath Senior and Under 21 Hurlers, who are trying to draw attention to the plight of the homeless in Ireland, and Dublin in particular, this Christmas. They're giving up a post match meal from 2017 to donate 100 dinners to the homeless around Grafton Street at 8.30pm tonight. Fair play to them, and I think it would be great if other counties followed suit.

The GAA is all about friends and family, and looking after each other, so maybe this could become a 'thing'.

Well done Adrian Moran and all involved.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/westmeath-hurlers-are-making-a-stunning-gesture-that-will-restore-your-faith-in-humanity-35283738.html

Great idea! Fair play.
MWWSI 2017

Croí na hÉireann

All came about from Adrian Moran seeing a fellow outside the Jervis centre recently staring into oblivion. It got him thinking, felt they had to do something and came up with the idea. Restores your faith in the GAA alright, wonderful idea.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

macdanger2

Fair play, pity it's not getting more media coverage which might encourage others to do something similar

Shamrock Shore

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

five points

If the Westmeath hurlers don't need a post-match meal, they shouldn't be asking their county board and their own clubs to foot an unnecessary bill.  Charity donations are much more impressive when you spend your own money, not someone else's.

AZOffaly

Quote from: five points on December 14, 2016, 10:03:12 AM
If the Westmeath hurlers don't need a post-match meal, they shouldn't be asking their county board and their own clubs to foot an unnecessary bill.  Charity donations are much more impressive when you spend your own money, not someone else's.

FFS talk about sour. Could you not just be happy that an inter county team are doing something to try and help people who are in trouble. And how do you know some of these players don't donate their own money as well. The symbolism of this gesture, given the GAA's position in Ireland, is as important as the lads giving up one mean. Some people give me ire.

five points

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 14, 2016, 10:05:51 AM

FFS talk about sour. Could you not just be happy that an inter county team are doing something to try and help people who are in trouble. And how do you know some of these players don't donate their own money as well. The symbolism of this gesture, given the GAA's position in Ireland, is as important as the lads giving up one mean. Some people give me ire.

Symbolism my nelly. There is a certain symbolism alright in getting someone else to pay for your own charity gesture. They haven't mentioned that they are donating any of their own money so I don't know how you can use that as a defence.

DuffleKing

Go away you little man

five points

Quote from: DuffleKing on December 14, 2016, 10:56:05 AM

Go away you little man

No. I'll say what I like, thanks.

AZOffaly

Quote from: five points on December 14, 2016, 10:26:14 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 14, 2016, 10:05:51 AM

Symbolism my nelly. There is a certain symbolism alright in getting someone else to pay for your own charity gesture. They haven't mentioned that they are donating any of their own money so I don't know how you can use that as a defence.

Are you for real? Or is that a silly question. Do you expect them to say, 'We're giving this dinner, and by the way, we're all great lads and donate our own money as well'?

Whether they donate or don't is immaterial in the context of this gesture, except to someone like yourself.

Also, just to humour you, if they are giving up one of their meals, and therefore they then have to feed themselves the equivalent of that meal at some stage, then they are, in effect, giving up their own money. It does not say that they are forcing the County Board to pay for an EXTRA meal for the homeless.

You're a mile off base on this.

five points

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 14, 2016, 11:28:26 AM
Are you for real? Or is that a silly question. Do you expect them to say, 'We're giving this dinner, and by the way, we're all great lads and donate our own money as well'?

Whether they donate or don't is immaterial in the context of this gesture, except to someone like yourself.

It was you, not me, who mentioned the red herring that they may be donating some of their own money. So you're attacking yourself.

AZOffaly

Quote from: five points on December 14, 2016, 11:35:35 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 14, 2016, 11:28:26 AM

It was you, not me, who mentioned the red herring that they may be donating some of their own money. So you're attacking yourself.

You said it would be more impressive if they gave their own money, rather than getting their county board and clubs to pay for their gesture.

I just pointed out that you don't know whether they do that as well, or not, so why raise the point in that context. I see now you are just playing semantics, so fire ahead.

Well done though, you've managed to get me to help you turn a thread about a genuinely nice gesture into another thread full of snide one upmanship disguised as intelligent debate. Fair play.

five points

Shorter AZOffaly: "How dare you disagree with me!"  ::)