Latest Developments In Galway Hurling Saga Show How Bleak The Situation Is

Started by MoChara, November 12, 2015, 01:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duine Eile

To be honest that statement from Cunningham is a bit rich, where was his regard and concern for Galway hurling when he was asked straight out  before his ratification if he had the backing and support of the players and he said he had, even though he had been informed otherwise? Galway hurling is bigger than any one individual after all as he has stated himself.

screenexile

I think it's a bit rich from the players in all honesty.

They got Conor Hayes ousted and then requested Loughnane... they got Lougnane ousted then and the CB got in John McIntyre. He got the road and Cunningham came in with a relative degree of success and they get him ousted.

They've been in winning positions against Kilkenny/Cork/Tipp a number of times over the past 15 years and have never gotten over the line and to once constant in that time has been the type of player. When Cody hears of playing Galway in an All Ireland Final I'd say he rubs his hands because he knows when the pressure is on his lads have it and Galway will crumble because they always do!

Cunningham has been shafted here it will be interesting to see who would want to come in after this scenario and how they will do!!

PS. Has anyone heard of any genuine grievance or particular issues that the players have with the management or are they just using Cunningham and his team as a scapegoat for their own shortcomings?

Asal Mor

I'm surprised at the certainty with which some people are knocking the players. Unless you're involved and have been attending training sessions there's so much we don't know about the situation. I'm still hopeful that the players are doing this for the right reasons, that they don't believe Cunningham's training methods and tactics are up to scratch and they want someone who can bring them to a better level. Also, we should remember how heroic they were this year up to the second half of the final, against Tipp especially and maybe give them some benefit of the doubt. They hurled with a physicality, workrate and skill level that I've never seen from a Galway team, including the sacred late 80's team. I've nothing against Cunningham,but it's unfair to give him the credit for getting them to the two finals and then blame the players for losing them in the second half. He also presided over two disastrous years - were they the fault of the players? Maybe, but it will be up to them to prove themselves next year. I wouldn't be hugely optimistic that they'll prove everyone wrong and win the All-Ireland next year, but I wouldn't claim to know enough about the preparation of the team, to condemn them for their actions either(though I do agree with deiseach's point that they should at least take ownership, and have the courage to say which players want him gone).

Catch and Kick

Quote from: Asal Mor on November 17, 2015, 01:06:24 PM
I'm surprised at the certainty with which some people are knocking the players. Unless you're involved and have been attending training sessions there's so much we don't know about the situation. I'm still hopeful that the players are doing this for the right reasons, that they don't believe Cunningham's training methods and tactics are up to scratch and they want someone who can bring them to a better level. Also, we should remember how heroic they were this year up to the second half of the final, against Tipp especially and maybe give them some benefit of the doubt. They hurled with a physicality, workrate and skill level that I've never seen from a Galway team, including the sacred late 80's team. I've nothing against Cunningham,but it's unfair to give him the credit for getting them to the two finals and then blame the players for losing them in the second half. He also presided over two disastrous years - were they the fault of the players? Maybe, but it will be up to them to prove themselves next year. I wouldn't be hugely optimistic that they'll prove everyone wrong and win the All-Ireland next year, but I wouldn't claim to know enough about the preparation of the team, to condemn them for their actions either(though I do agree with deiseach's point that they should at least take ownership, and have the courage to say which players want him gone).

That's the point I am making - they didn't do it on their own, neither did he. There re weaknesses in all set ups; it's up to ALL involved to address them. I am afraid this is going to end bad for Galway hurling.....

seafoid

He brought in a good few younger players as well and one of them won an allstar this year.
I think he leaves Galway hurling in a better state than he found it.

I'd love to see Brendan Lynshkey taking over and adding a bit of resilience .   
I don't think it's necessarily a bleak situation.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: screenexile on November 17, 2015, 11:52:07 AM
I think it's a bit rich from the players in all honesty.

They got Conor Hayes ousted and then requested Loughnane... they got Lougnane ousted then and the CB got in John McIntyre. He got the road and Cunningham came in with a relative degree of success and they get him ousted.

They've been in winning positions against Kilkenny/Cork/Tipp a number of times over the past 15 years and have never gotten over the line and to once constant in that time has been the type of player. When Cody hears of playing Galway in an All Ireland Final I'd say he rubs his hands because he knows when the pressure is on his lads have it and Galway will crumble because they always do!

Cunningham has been shafted here it will be interesting to see who would want to come in after this scenario and how they will do!!

PS. Has anyone heard of any genuine grievance or particular issues that the players have with the management or are they just using Cunningham and his team as a scapegoat for their own shortcomings?

You're talking like it's the exact same bunch of players that have been there for the past 15 years under 4 or 5 managers. The current squad is even quite different to the squad that reached the final in 2012. Only 6 players that started the 2012 final started the 2015 final. I don't see the relevance of what Loughnane or McIntyre has to do with it.

You'd have to feel some sympathy for Cunningham but nobody knows the ins and outs of the situation and we may never know them unless the players and/or Cunningham express them in detail. By all accounts this was a long standing issue and did not just emerge after they lost an All-Ireland final.

Certainly they have placed more pressure on themselves for next year as people will be looking for them to fail now. Even inside the county.

Duine Eile

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 17, 2015, 01:47:40 PM

Certainly they have placed more pressure on themselves for next year as people will be looking for them to fail now. Even inside the county.

Especially inside the county I'd say, the amount of anger and bitterness towards the players, without knowing the full details, is unbelievable. People seem to have forgotten that only for Noel Treacy's casting vote as chairman last year Cunningham was gone, this overwhelming swell of support for him is very strange.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Catch and Kick on November 17, 2015, 01:29:25 PM

That's the point I am making - they didn't do it on their own, neither did he. There re weaknesses in all set ups; it's up to ALL involved to address them. I am afraid this is going to end bad for Galway hurling.....

That's fair Catch and Kick, but I was referring to posters who were assuming, with absolute certainty and insufficient knowledge, that Cunningham was doing a fine job on the basis that they had reached two finals and that the players were spineless because they lost second half leads on both occasions.
If the players feel that Cunningham doesn't give them the best chance of winning should they feel obliged to shut up because they reached 2 finals? It would have been much easier for them to keep quiet and they've put huge pressure on themselves by doing this. I'm not saying they're right, I'm just saying you'd need to be inside the camp to have a worthwhile opinion on whether they are right or wrong. We'll get our answer on that next year.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Duine Eile on November 17, 2015, 02:23:48 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 17, 2015, 01:47:40 PM

Especially inside the county I'd say, the amount of anger and bitterness towards the players, without knowing the full details, is unbelievable. People seem to have forgotten that only for Noel Treacy's casting vote as chairman last year Cunningham was gone, this overwhelming swell of support for him is very strange.
Exactly.

Asal Mor

Quote from: seafoid on November 17, 2015, 01:30:49 PM
He brought in a good few younger players as well and one of them won an allstar this year.

Thought they showed plenty of resilience this year seafoid and were physically dominant in most games. I think Lynskey would be an unmitigated disaster(from reading his comments,I don't think he's noticed that the game has changed since the late 80's. He seems to think that winning basically comes down to being thicker than the other team) and the only consolation would be that it would be a bit funny to see him fall flat on his face, given that he's always ready to stick the boot into the current team.

And as someone on the Galway forum said, how exactly would he put more steel into the team, by showing them the scars on his knuckles?

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on November 17, 2015, 02:48:25 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 17, 2015, 01:30:49 PM

Thought they showed plenty of resilience this year seafoid and were physically dominant in most games. I think Lynskey would be an unmitigated disaster(from reading his comments,I don't think he's noticed that the game has changed since the late 80's. He seems to think that winning basically comes down to being thicker than the other team) and the only consolation would be that it would be a bit funny to see him fall flat on his face, given that he's always ready to stick the boot into the current team.

And as someone on the Galway forum said, how exactly would he put more steel into the team, by showing them the scars on his knuckles?
I don't think they have the money to go outside the county. Daly would add a good bit but how much would he cost in Smoky Bacon Burgers ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cunny Funt

Anthony Cunningham didn't hold back on that statement last night will be interesting to see if the Galway senior players will react with a statement of their own.

Another that didn't hold back was Ger Loughnane today. He said Cunningham brought the Galway players to the water but they refused to drink. He also said whoever takes the job next will need his head examined.