Bosses call for better refereeing in hurling.

Started by Silky, February 14, 2007, 09:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silky

From the Indo. Can you really ever have common sense refereeing and consistent refereeing? I just don't think our refs are capable of delivering both. In fact I'm not sure it can be done at all.

Keating blast for 'nonsensical' refereeing rules Wednesday February 14th 2007

TOP hurling managers have rounded on over-officious referees and appealed for common sense to prevail in 2007.

The appeals were led by Tipperary hurling manager 'Babs' Keating who expressed concern at Tommy Dunne's sending off for Toomevara against Ballyhale in last Saturday's epic All-Ireland club semi-final in Portlaoise.

Dunne has signalled that it was the end of his hurling career at all levels. Keating said the red card Dunne received was harmless and he has pleaded with GAA president Nickey Brennan to try to restore "common sense" refereeing to the game. He was joined in chorus by Ger Loughnane and Gerald McCarthy who are also concerned about what is now expected of referees.

"I wouldn't like to see Tommy Dunne remembered for that. But it is clear that the rules and the rules that govern referees have to change. The referees that we have today are working with the rules that are given to them and I think it's nonsensical," said Keating.

"We had a football match down in Mayo where the referee gave 15 yellow cards and there was a football game in Cork where another 15 were shown," he added.

"If I make the comparison with soccer, when there's a yellow card it is justified. A player's legs are taken and it's what I call a worthwhile yellow card. This idea of ticking and yellow cards has to be looked at and changed. There needs to be more co-operation between the linesmen and referees, more understanding.

"It's in all of our interests if 2007 goes off without any controversy. Every game I've been involved in this year, with the exception of the Waterford Crystal final, I would question a lot of the decisions. I don't think any of us want that kind of a 2007 ahead of us. I would like to see this ticking gone. If you go back to our day, if someone deserved to be sent off, they were sent off. End of story," he reflected.

"Referees are putting too much pressure on themselves by giving out a yellow card for very little. Then when something more serious happens they have problems," he noted.

'Babs' believes his decision to discipline players by ejecting them from the squad for excessive drinking after the Munster final defeat to Cork drew a line in the sand that will only benefit the county.

"I did say that I was never in a more comfortable Tipperary than I am at the moment. Without appearing to be critical of any of my predecessors, because that would be very wrong, some surgery was required in Tipperary with the attitude of some of the players that I inherited.

"I am particularly delighted that I took that route because it was required. Anyone that wanted success wouldn't put up with guys drinking after a Munster final. I have no problem with drinking, but drinking to the excess that I heard about wouldn't be tolerated not alone in sport but in the workplace.

"The rules that I laid down helped the minors and U21s and I think will help Tipperary in the future if they are adopted and kept in place. Without those rules we all know that lasting success cannot remain," he predicted.

'Babs' predicted that Pa Burke, star of last year's All-Ireland minor title winning attack, can be one of the greatest forwards to play the game but insists he won't be rushing him into action in 2007.

He also claimed it was the first time in many years that Tipperary was free of controversy and conflict.

Colm Keys

aontroim abu

Surely this is a call to change the rules and not having to change the refs attitudes?

"But it is clear that the rules and the rules that govern referees have to change. The referees that we have today are working with the rules that are given to them and I think it's nonsensical," said Keating.

As Babs states the referee applied the rules and sent Dunne off for punching, which by the way is also a sending off in soccer. I dont see what the rules of soccer have to do with the rules of hurling anyway!

"If I make the comparison with soccer, when there's a yellow card it is justified. A player's legs are taken and it's what I call a worthwhile yellow card. This idea of ticking and yellow cards has to be looked at and changed. There needs to be more co-operation between the linesmen and referees, more understanding.

Dunne should have known better than to throw the punch - the new rule changes only alter how the player is punished suspension wise, not how the referee applies the law

johnneycool

Eamon Morris for all his faults was 100% right to send off Tommy Dunne for his two or three rabbit punches on saturday. If one of the Cushendall or even the Loughrea lads had got the line for a similar offence there wouldn't be a word about it. It seems there should be greater leniency for players from the big three than the rest which is balls.

Maybe it's Babs putting pressure on the refs to be more lenient later on in the year, maybe he's going to bring a bit of the 'hells kitchen' back to Tipp hurling???

I honestly thought Barry Kelly was terrible in general during the Dall/Loughrea game and in some instances gave frees which I couldn't see and it seemed the players on both teams weren't sure what way he was going to give them either which is never good. Biased no, poor yes.

Canalman

Babs mouthing off again.

The master of the cheap shot imho.

Dunne was deservedly sent off against Ballyhale.