Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaffronSports

Goals can certainly make a huge difference but at this time of year scores tend to be lower anyway. As MR2 says Neil will be solid from the dead ball, as will Bergin for OLG. Should be a good game.

ardtole

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 16, 2023, 10:53:59 PM
Quote from: Oso on December 16, 2023, 07:11:03 PM
Quote from: SaffronSports on December 16, 2023, 05:36:50 PMDo we think Cushendall have much chance tomorrow?

I think the fact it's not Ballyhale is bound to be a boost to them although any club side that has quality like Lawlor, Butler and Keegan will be hard beat.

They'll probably have to improve again on the Slaughtneil display but I certainly don't think it's mission impossible.

They have a chance because all 3 players you mentioned are top players but are defenders. OLG don't have the calibre of forwards ballyhale have or have had and the same goal threat.

But they are probably going to have to work harder for scores and take more scores from play from further out to be in with a shout and I don't think they have that quality in their midfield and half forwards.  I reckon they need a couple of goals at least to win and that will not be easy against that defence.

So if they don't get goals, based on your posts, they'll lose?

Cushendall don't throw up too many goal opportunities and the Dall will score 95% of their frees within 70 met

I'm going for a 1 or 2 point win for either team

My biggest worry for Cushendall would be the fact they conceded 2 goals to both Portaferry and Slaughtneil.

Milltown Row2

Both teams are strong in defence...

Be a good semi
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffrongael

Quote from: ardtole on December 17, 2023, 12:15:29 AM
Quote from: SaffronSports on December 16, 2023, 05:36:50 PMDo we think Cushendall have much chance tomorrow?

I think the fact it's not Ballyhale is bound to be a boost to them although any club side that has quality like Lawlor, Butler and Keegan will be hard beat.

They'll probably have to improve again on the Slaughtneil display but I certainly don't think it's mission impossible.

They have a chance because all 3 players you mentioned are top players but are defenders. OLG don't have the calibre of forwards ballyhale have or have had and the same goal threat.

But they are probably going to have to work harder for scores and take more scores from play from further out to be in with a shout and I don't think they have that quality in their midfield and half forwards.  I reckon they need a couple of goals at least to win and that will not be easy against that defence.

Cushendall don't throw up too many goal opportunities and the Dall will score 95% of their frees within 70 met

My biggest worry for Cushendall would be the fact they conceded 2 goals to both Portaferry and Slaughtneil.

3 v Portaferry. Should be close today
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

That's some helter skelter start
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Oso

Cushendall don't throw up too many goal opportunities and the Dall will score 95% of their frees within 70 meters

Yes!!!!  I think they knkw that themselves given how they've started.

Have you a problem with my posts wee man or do you need further clarification?  You seem to challenge everything. 

They've done exactly what I thought they needed to do, take some great long range points, and got a goal and McQuillan was massively unlucky with his effort that hit the post, that would have been a massive boost.

But... That looks like a strong breeze/wind and scores from further out will be harder to come by this half.  Paddy Burke and Campbell have been immense. Liam Gillan getting it tight and should also have been black carded already.

First 15 minutes of this half are massive, with that wind it might get away from them, they need some early scores on the board and ideally another goal to be in contention going into the last ten.

Milltown Row2

What's with the wee man stuff? Are you a child?

Silver hill

Hard luck Cushendall. Epic game. 3 or 4 rushed efforts with 10 /15 left proved costly. Ref a wee bit sore on them I thought in that second half.

SaffronSports

Quote from: Silver hill on December 17, 2023, 03:07:52 PMHard luck Cushendall. Epic game. 3 or 4 rushed efforts with 10 /15 left proved costly. Ref a wee bit sore on them I thought in that second half.

Yeah those wides and a couple of opportunities when they ran in too far maybe thinking goal but didn't even end up getting the point proved costly.

MoChara

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on December 17, 2023, 08:17:36 PMHas anyone any idea why Cushendall is referred to in Irish as Bun Abhann Dalla? Cois Abhann Dalla would appear to be much more obvious as the "Cush" can't have come out of nowhere. Must be a reason though.

This is extremely important btw.

Are they not both just descriptors for the bottom or lower part of the river Dall?

marty34

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on December 17, 2023, 09:04:23 PMSomething like that but we have arrived at Cushendall as the anglicised version of something. I know what my money would be on.

Would there be a Scots gaelic influence in that area?

Although Irish was probably spoken in the Glens I'd say up until a generation or two ago probably.

SaffronSports

Quote from: marty34 on December 17, 2023, 09:09:23 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on December 17, 2023, 09:04:23 PMSomething like that but we have arrived at Cushendall as the anglicised version of something. I know what my money would be on.

Although Irish was probably spoken in the Glens I'd say up until a generation or two ago probably.

The Glens area would have been part of the Kingdom of Dalriada and trade etc would have been more common with Scotland than other parts of Ireland. I've no idea re language though.

MoChara

I think Cushendun use Cois Abhainn Duinne, and dont quote me but I had heard at one time the difference was where the village is settled Cushendun at the mouth of their river and the main part of Cushendall a bit up from the sea, but the original "Cushendall" settlement had also been at the river mouth where now is known as Dalriada. So cois abhain dalla is an older name for an older development.

It was also called Newtownglens for a while too I hope thats you fully confused on the issue now 🤣

marty34

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on December 17, 2023, 09:15:06 PM
Quote from: marty34 on December 17, 2023, 09:09:23 PM

Absolutely there would have been though I don't think that relates here.

There's 2 versions but is Bun the official version?

I wonder what Cushendun is?

marty34

Quote from: MoChara on December 17, 2023, 09:17:48 PMI think Cushendun use Cois Abhainn Duinne, and dont quote me but I had heard at one time the difference was where the village is settled Cushendun at the mouth of their river and the main part of Cushendall a bit up from the sea, but the original "Cushendall" settlement had also been at the river mouth where now is known as Dalriada. So cois abhain dalla is an older name for an older development.

It was also called Newtownglens for a while too I hope thats you fully confused on the issue now 🤣

Beat me to it.

Place names are very interesting.