Started by GalwayBayBoy, January 10, 2007, 12:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Let's hope so.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=70857

News on possible Cannings comeback imminent

Ollie Canning Galway
10 January 2007

New Galway hurling boss Ger Loughnane has hinted that the return of Ollie and Joe Canning to the county squad may be imminent.

Although the former Clare supremo has confirmed that the duo have not been training with his panel and was unsure as to whether they would be back, he said he would have a better idea on such matters "by the weekend."

Across the county, there is a growing sense of optimism that the brothers will put behind them controversial matters which arose in last year's county championship and rejoin the fold.

magpie seanie

As predicted by the bould Magpie several weeks ago.

I'm good.

The Bottom Brick

QuoteAs predicted by the bould Magpie several weeks ago.

I'm good.

How did you know? Where are you getting this information? I mean, nobody saw that coming!  :D
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

tayto

Good news all the same, christ i hope someone other then kilkenny or cork can win the All Ireland this year.

magpie seanie

Ara relax Bottom Brick. Don't be so serious!

Bud Wiser

The Canning's haven't said they are coming back. The Evening Herald printed a story yesterday that said everything and said nothing.  There is speculation but no comment whatsoever from the Cannings.  Loughnane will have to keep firing at the oil cans on the tree stumps for another while and even if they were coming back I would expect that after what happened the announcement would have come from them or a joint statement instead of Ger Physicality predicting what is going to happen.  Anyway, ,we have enough problems in Laois hurling to not worry about this and since Ger is going to win an ALL-Ireland in year one and definitely in year two I don't know why we bother in the first place.

Quote"There are not as many talkers in the dressing room now with Peter and DJ gone because they were both great talkers.
I wouldn't be a major talker. Maybe sometimes you'd say a few words.  Before one of the matches we were after a team meeting and Brian Cody asked if anyone wanted to speak. Everyone got up and walked out and that was it.

"It's funny.  But sure there's no point in talking at a team meeting or in the dressing room - you talk on the field."  King Henry.

GalwayBayBoy

That is one of the oddest posts I've ever read here Bud. ;D

Bud Wiser

Ah relax GBB, when you get older you ramble like that.  I just threw in the Sheff quote as an aside, nothing to do with the topic.

However, there is nothing odd about my interpretation of the rubbish posted about Canning in yesterdays Herald.

Buy this evenings Herald and it is a different story because they have retracted and actually got a quote from Canning for a change instead of printing stuff more off the wall or odd than my posts.

Canning states in tonights Herald " he has more than enough on his plate with club hurling, he will play in the Fitzgibbon Cup and he will be playing with LIT this year and he does not see himself making any moore commitments than that in the next year@

Now, he said that, not your man with the shotgun that shoots the oil cans, and not me.

Laois might get a clear run at it after all !! :P

Bogball XV

so the lads have decided against playing, at least for the national league - anyone know is there any chance of them playing at all this year?
Personally, if they've opted out of the league, I reckon that Loughnane will not be in any rush to accommodatet them later in the year.

dodo

On the RTE news that Ollie announced his inter-county retirement.

Big loss for Galway hurling. Thought the idea of himself and Joe playing on the same Galway team would keep him on board.

Josey Whales

terrible about ollie- just to mi-louth about joe-that's all a smokescreen-i've ruled galway out already the reality is the galway county board caused this mess by allowing a young man to be stamped in the face and allowing the perpretrator away with it.

GaillimhIarthair

f**king terrible news about Ollie.  I was really hoping that both himself and Joe would be there for the championship.  I wish him well in his retirement.  He has been probably our most outstanding hurler over the past 7 or 8 years and one of the few that would walk onto any county team. 

magpie seanie

Seems I was wrong. Even Locky couldn't turn this one around.

This is a terrible pity for all sports fans and a shocking indictment on the Galway hurling board who have also presided over the most abject underachievement at senior level of any county I can think of in any grade.

muppet

And Ger Loughnane thought the Clare County Board were bad. Welcome to real cowboy country Ger ::)
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

I know retirements can be reversed (see Carey, Denis Joseph) but this is an awful black eye for Galway. A lot of people scoffed when Joe made his comments about joining a rugby club in Limerick. Maybe that's not a million miles away either.