David Kennedy Tipp Hurler

Started by Dinny Breen, January 08, 2007, 02:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

is now a Kildare hurler, played against Carlow yesterday. David is a guard in Naas, nice chap he is too but he hasn't transfered to Naas GAA but instead is remaining with Loughmore-Castleiney. Can someone explain how this is allowed, personally i think to have an All-Ireland winner in your team helps raises standards but just curious as to the validity  ???
#newbridgeornowhere

tayto

That's the rule that was brought in last year, you can change hurling county without changing club, only to a county not in the Liam McCarthy. This is the first player I've heard use it. i think you're only allowed three per team.

Dinny Breen

Cheers Tayto,

makes sense, hope he becomes the first to win Liam and Christy.
#newbridgeornowhere

tayto

I hear there's great work going into hurling in Kildare as well as Mayo? Apparently Mayo have doubled their playing base in the last 5 years. It'd be great to see them win the Ring cup. Seán Kelly gets a lot of stock on here but I have to say I really think the Ring and Rackard competitions were a great idea!

LilyWhiteAllright

wat did we play carlow in by the way?

Dinny Breen

Think it was a challenge game, they play Meath next week, the team was..

1.Connor Cunningham
2.Colm Maguire
3.Paul Keegan
4.Tom Finnerty
5.Paudie Reidy
6.David Kennedy
7.Richy Hoban
8.Fiachra O'Muineachain
9.Billy White
10.Mattie O'Dowd
11.Mark Maloney
12.Colm Buggy
13.Tony Murphy
14.David Harney
15. Ciaran Divilly
#newbridgeornowhere

LilyWhiteAllright

nice to see Tony Murphy back, wheres the game v meath, b4 the football is it?

Onlooker

David Kennedy is a fine hurler and a very committed player and he should be a big addition to the Kildare team, but there is one thing that strikes about a player who plays for the county he is living in and also for his home club in another county.  David Kennedy plays Senior Hurling and Football with Loughmore-Castleiney and there must be a very large possibility of a clash of fixtures between Kildare and Loughmore.  If both are listed to play Championship matches on the same day or week-end, he will be placed in a very difficult position.   The fact that he is a dual player increases the probability of a fixtures clash at some stage.

highking

Its amazing how a player can play for another county without having any affiliation to that county, only that he lives there, when hurlers in other parts of the country are not allowed to play due to the dual club rule. A group of ten hurlers were stopped from registering to play hurling with a dual club, simply because they were members of an exclusive football club also.

Surely everyone should be entitle to play hurling at all levels and not just the elite hurlers.....

Dinny Breen

Quotenice to see Tony Murphy back, wheres the game v meath, b4 the football is it?

That would make sense but it would probably mean a 1 pm throw-in, can't see that happening...
#newbridgeornowhere

youbetterbelieveit

I believe it is a good idea to allow some players from the stronger counties play with weaker counties, David Kennedy can bright alot of experience to a kildare team, and any young ones on the teams could learn a great deal from him.

tayto

Former Tipperary hurler David Kennedy has become the first high-profile intercounty player to switch his county colours but continue playing for his home club.

The Loughmore-Castleiney man lined out for the Kildare Senior hurlers at centre back in a challenge match against Carlow last weekend.

A motion, put forward on behalf of Louth club Naomh Monine, which would allow hurlers from Liam McCarthy Cup counties, such as Tipperary, to play for Christy Ring or Nicky Rackard Cup counties, like Kildare, as well as their home club, provided they were resident in the weaker county or it was the county of birth of a parent, was passed at last April's Annual GAA Congress in Killarney.

"It would be a great boost for the hurling development strategy, for the hurling development committee and for the new National Hurling Co-ordinator (Paudie Butler)," said Louth's Central Council representative Pat Hamilton.

The rule, which allows weaker counties to avail of a maximum of five such players, was also backed at last year's summit by officials from the stronger hurling counties of Kilkenny and Cork, who were content that it would not detract from their own panels.

"If a player is important to a traditionally stronger county and he applies for a transfer the home county can deny the transfer, so there are safeguards there," said Kilkenny chief Ned Quinn of the condition that the player must be officially released by the home county before declaring elsewhere.

The new ruling, brought in to increase the competitiveness of tier two and three counties, means that Naas-based Garda Kennedy, who is a dual player, can now play for Kildare as well as his home club.

magpie seanie

From one of the staunchest Seán Kelly critics I will say that this rule change and establishment of the Ring and Rackard Cups was an excellent first step in moving hurling in the weaker counties forward. Sligo last year I believe had a couple of Cork lads (who play their club hurling back home) on board for the Rackard Cup. I suupose the Kelly presidency had to oversee one or two good things by the law of averages.