Ulster Championship 2021

Started by J70, June 21, 2021, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

The weird thing is that McGeeney would know better than anyone, as a player, how to protect the FB line.

I thought Armagh were the better side from the first minute to the last but there was something about Monaghan today that said they weren't losing.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

yellowcard

Quote from: ONeill on July 17, 2021, 11:45:56 PM
The weird thing is that McGeeney would know better than anyone, as a player, how to protect the FB line.

I thought Armagh were the better side from the first minute to the last but there was something about Monaghan today that said they weren't losing.

It's no secret that Armagh's major weakness is the lack of good man marking defenders. Morgan and McKay were exposed badly in that first half but they were largely hung out to dry by the lack of protection in front of them. I think McGeeney has overall done a good job with this group of players but if they aren't going to play with a sweeper then they badly need a defensive sitting centre back to shore up the middle. It was the goals that ultimately won Monaghan the match today.

Solo_run

If Mickey Harte managed Armagh he would have them in an AI within 3 years

ONeill

I think most counties are lamenting man-marking defenders. We saw that in Killarney too.

Interesting to see what McGeeeney learns from this.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

StPatsAbu

Quote from: ONeill on July 17, 2021, 11:26:47 PM
Great to see Armagh bate all the same.
Do they not get bate all the time?

Armagh18

It's a pity Brendan Donaghy wasn't playing today he'd have definitely tightened up that defence.

Rian O'Neill is probably the best player in Ulster and top 5 in Ireland.

Itchy

Quote from: Solo_run on July 18, 2021, 12:05:28 AM
If Mickey Harte managed Armagh he would have them in an AI within 3 years

Eh I don't think so.

imtommygunn

Better than Michael Murphy? No way. Conor McManus either.

brokencrossbar1

It's hard to know how to summarise that game. Was unfortunately on the road for the first half and listened to it on the radio. Conleth Gilligan is a pleasure to listen to, very insightful, as I said to herself talks the game the way he played it, sees the patterns and the flow. We definitely didn't deserve to be behind as far as we were but the goals were very poor. Naive to say the least. The lose of Blaine Hughes didn't help but the keeper wasn't at fault for Darren Hughes running untracked through for instance. Maybe the change of keeper so late in the day unsettled the defence as a whole which is completely understandable but some of the basic defending just simply wasn't there and that has been an Achilles heal for years and does not seem to be any closer to be rectified.

As a consequence of the early goals we were always chasing the game. The thing is though because of how open both teams were I always felt there was a chance. I said to herself, it's what you do in the last 10 and not the first 10 minutes that make the difference and I always felt there would be the chances. The early part of the second half was key and by getting a number of scores on the board kept the belief there. I always felt if we got within 3-4 scores of Monaghan then a goal chance would present itself as Monaghan would get nervous and we would get braver. It happened and we took full advantage though the brilliance and bravery of Rian and young Turbitt for the first goal were outstanding. The second goal was all about hard work and belief. There was a real hustle to win the sideline and then really quick thinking from the kick and coolness by young Kelly.

The thing is we just couldn't finish the job and that is because of decision making on the field and on the sideline. Shot selection, poor passing decisions and bad tackling, along with Rian obviously being completely fecked and carrying injuries meant Monaghan got the chance to get the scores they needed. We also stepped off them and encouraged them to go for it when we really should have been stepping up on the in the last few minutes and defending in their defensive areas rather than ours. Take cards, slow the game, be 'cute'. We just didn't have that and that should have been driven home from the sideline. Also we needed fresh legs in as the likes of Soupy and Hall had run themselves to a standstill. I also think Grugan seemed subdued. Extra legs in the last 3-4 minutes breaks up the flow of the game and also freshens it up. This is easy to say in hindsight and from the safety of the couch but the thing is the management are there to see this and make these calls. The good managers see it and do it, it didn't happen and that's where we fail I feel.

Cannot doubt the commitment, drive, and effort. The players died with their boots on and yesterday will be mentally devastating. The thing is what from here? I will make this clear I do not believe we have the squad to win and AI as it presently stands. Too many players just not quite up to that elite level. Physically we are behind a lot of teams, we do not have big men, well defensively anyway. They are good players but not physically dominating and that tells. Therefore we need a system that we hone, perfect and stick to. It may not always be pretty and we may not always score what we scored yesterday but we certainly cannot concede what we did yesterday. We were actually far more defensive against Antrim than we were yesterday I felt. Yesterday was a game for a line across the 45 and score on the break, hitting the likes of Murnin, Rian etc particularly in that heat. We are repeatedly being caught out defensively and after 7 years that hasn't changed. 7 years is a long time and yesterday was the closest we have gotten to an Ulster final and we are still not there. I know people will be saying that the management deserve another chance but this was their 'another chance'. I think now is the natural time for a change. Geezers 'contract' is up. There is a summer of club football for players to clear their heads of yesterday and also to make the right call on the new management. I think he has taken them as far as he can, similar to the 2 Brian's before, and a new management who know how to win as managers, either at club or county level, needs to come in.

inroundthesquare

Marty Clarke also picked up that Armagh when they had the big comeback and were up with 10 minutes left were unsure of what to do -evidenced by Kelly and I think McQuillan refusing shots and recycling late on. Also the Rian O'Neill free from near 70 yards would never have been taken on had they been behind.

At the other end McManus had the mental ability and the skill to knock over two great frees, also won and scored a free just before that by taking on his man. You could see him telling Kieran Hughes at one point to keep calm and not kick away possession.

omagh_gael

Tyrone and Donegal have some job following that game yesterday. Hats off to both Armagh and Monaghan for an epic game in that heat! RIP young Brendan, horrendous tragedy for Monaghan GAA and his family.

larryin89

Rian o neill is a joy to watch , one of the best footballers I've seen in a while . People quick to say hes not in Murphy, mcmanus category are not been fair minded or open minded . If someone who never seen any of McManus or o neill play till yesterday they'd say rian o neill is a better footballer .  McManus was cute as to get that free though reminded me of his namesake but a tony in a ros jersey , great men to fraud a free out of nothing.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

LeoMc

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 17, 2021, 06:58:25 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 17, 2021, 06:43:49 PM
As a matter if interest what was the attendance in Newry?
4,000 in Thurles and a small looking gathering in Nowlan.
heard somewhere it was 2400, though looked more..
Would they let u16s into the terrace if accompanied by an adult?
I have a ticket for Brewster park and would like to bring the 10yo.

Itchy

Interested in the Armagh opinion on McGeeney. Yes you can say that was a great game and a very narrow defeat yesterday. But do ye not ask yourselves about this as it was the same in 2019 against Cavan. Ye look like a team that buckles when the pressure comes on and your defensive frailties have not been addressed which is really what is undermining your ability to win Ulster. There is no doubt Armagh have forwards better than the majority of counties in Ireland. The thing is, ye might be waiting a while to get a better chance to get to an Ulster final. I think from the outside looking in ye have been incredibly patient with McGeeney, I dont think he would have lasted this long in any other top 10 county.