Ulster Championship 2021

Started by J70, June 21, 2021, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 13, 2021, 05:19:10 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on July 13, 2021, 04:39:51 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 13, 2021, 04:28:09 PM
You could even see Coldrick motioning with his hands after he blew, almost laughing, basically saying, "how much time do you expect me to give yez, lads?".

Once it went back out to the middle to start over again, he was always going to blow.

On his overall performance, I didn't see him as being harsh on either team. He missed the penalty shout, but McMenamin pulled the shirt and put the arm around his neck for a split second each, so its not hard to see how Coldrick missed it in real time.

I'd agree re the time given. We knew he'd eventually blow once the ball was being passed backwards, which is fair enough I suppose. I think Rogers was the only player who could maybe have let one fly.

Completely disagree re the penalty shout though. Coldrick was standing looking at it, the arm / hand around the neck was in full view of the ref... It was poor not to award a penalty imo.

Ref'd a game recently, point in it with injury time nearly up, free from out on the wing I said to the player that he'll need to either score or I'll allow one play from the break ball. Ball dropped short and they proceeded to try and engineer a score, eventually I blew and the abuse was desperate..

I was the reason why Antrim football is so bad, was the pick!
You can't blow when the team is attacking! That's a new one

When times up, it's up !

Hope ye got called a baldy basturt at least once also 😃

yellowcard

The failure to get a shot away within the time limit was purely Derry's own doing, Coldrick gave them every chance. If anything he was being over generous with the amount of injury time played. I'm not sure where he found another 75 seconds from in those 4 minutes. It was just poor game management from Derry but was in keeping with the general pattern of the game where both sides showed an unwillingness to take a risk and kick to an inside forward. Both sides had been preconditioned to play a safe possession based game which did little for the spectacle. I don't buy into the post match narrative many put forward that the quality of this match kick started the championship. It was simply down to the closeness of the scores and a general desperation for a competitive match which kept it interesting. The lack of physical contact and long spells of short passing possession based plays are not very entertaining for a supporter to watch.

The non award of a Derry penalty is another matter entirely, he made a mistake on that one.

Franko

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 13, 2021, 03:45:36 PM
Quote from: Estimator on July 13, 2021, 03:18:20 PM
I wouldn't blame Coldrick for not allowing Derry time to get an equaliser. McBreartys winning point landed over the bar right on time ticking by the 74min. He blew the whistle about 75secs later, he allowed Derry to work the ball down the left, then switch the ball to the right, before trying to go again on the other side. He was never going to add infinite time to let Derry get a shot away.

I'm not saying it should have been an infinite amount of time, but if he wasn't going to give Derry the chance to develop a scoring situation, why didn't he just blow it up after the kickout? 75seconds isn't long when you take the time needed for a kickout out of it.
Perhaps another 30-60 seconds is all it would have needed then there really would have been no excuse for not getting a shot off. If we couldn't have worked a scoring attempt in that time then fair enough. It is subjective I suppose but I felt over the course of the entire game he was unduly harsh on Derry in comparison to Donegal. I see the Irish News yesterday seemed to be of the same view.

Can't agree with this at all.

As one poster said, he gave Derry enough time to make 3 attempts at breaching the Donegal defence.  But nobody wanted to take on the responsibility.

This is where Derry miss a proper leader.

All it took was for someone to carry the ball into a Donegal tackle.  Coldrick would have been absolutely itching to award a free.  But nobody had the sense/bollo*cks to do it.

Instead they danced forwards and backwards across the 45 until the ref had no option but to call time.

TabClear

You could even see Coldrick motioning with his hands after he blew, almost laughing, basically saying, "how much time do you expect me to give yez, lads?".

Once it went back out to the middle to start over again, he was always going to blow.

On his overall performance, I didn't see him as being harsh on either team. He missed the penalty shout, but McMenamin pulled the shirt and put the arm around his neck for a split second each, so its not hard to see how Coldrick missed it in real time.

I'd agree re the time given. We knew he'd eventually blow once the ball was being passed backwards, which is fair enough I suppose. I think Rogers was the only player who could maybe have let one fly.

Completely disagree re the penalty shout though. Coldrick was standing looking at it, the arm / hand around the neck was in full view of the ref... It was poor not to award a penalty imo.

Ref'd a game recently, point in it with injury time nearly up, free from out on the wing I said to the player that he'll need to either score or I'll allow one play from the break ball. Ball dropped short and they proceeded to try and engineer a score, eventually I blew and the abuse was desperate..

When times up, it's up !

This. Drives me mad (even more so in soccer ball) when refs play a few extra seconds to give the attacking team a chance. If time is up the ref should blow it up irrespective of were the ball is on the field. I know that might cause a riot in certain situations but that's the rules. If we want to see teams get "one more chance" then by all means change the rules  like rugby where the ball had to be out of play for time to be up. (The GAA trialled this about ten years ago I think?). I actually think it was a decent change in that it takes a degree of subjectivity out of it but in the modern game it  might go too far the other way. Those Derry lads might still be passing it along the 45 if that rule was in place.  ;)

JoG2

Quote from: Franko on July 13, 2021, 05:53:08 PM
I wouldn't blame Coldrick for not allowing Derry time to get an equaliser. McBreartys winning point landed over the bar right on time ticking by the 74min. He blew the whistle about 75secs later, he allowed Derry to work the ball down the left, then switch the ball to the right, before trying to go again on the other side. He was never going to add infinite time to let Derry get a shot away.

I'm not saying it should have been an infinite amount of time, but if he wasn't going to give Derry the chance to develop a scoring situation, why didn't he just blow it up after the kickout? 75seconds isn't long when you take the time needed for a kickout out of it.
Perhaps another 30-60 seconds is all it would have needed then there really would have been no excuse for not getting a shot off. If we couldn't have worked a scoring attempt in that time then fair enough. It is subjective I suppose but I felt over the course of the entire game he was unduly harsh on Derry in comparison to Donegal. I see the Irish News yesterday seemed to be of the same view.

As one poster said, he gave Derry enough time to make 3 attempts at breaching the Donegal defence.  But nobody wanted to take on the responsibility.

All it took was for someone to carry the ball into a Donegal tackle.  Coldrick would have been absolutely itching to award a free.  But nobody had the sense/bollo*cks to do it.

Instead they danced forwards and backwards across the 45 until the ref had no option but to call time.

A proper leader? Did you see some of the scores from likes of McFaul and McGuigan when Donegal had fought their way back into the game on different occasions? Glass and even young Doherty. That team had leadership all over the pitch on Sunday. From a team playing Div 4 very recently to what we witnessed in Ballybofey. You could see from about the 65th minute on alot of the players were out on their feet. It's just didn't happen in the last few mins. Certainly not down to not having a proper leader

twohands!!!

Quote from: TabClear on July 13, 2021, 06:24:07 PM

When times up, it's up !

This. Drives me mad (even more so in soccer ball) when refs play a few extra seconds to give the attacking team a chance. If time is up the ref should blow it up irrespective of were the ball is on the field. I know that might cause a riot in certain situations but that's the rules. If we want to see teams get "one more chance" then by all means change the rules  like rugby where the ball had to be out of play for time to be up. (The GAA trialled this about ten years ago I think?). I actually think it was a decent change in that it takes a degree of subjectivity out of it but in the modern game it  might go too far the other way. Those Derry lads might still be passing it along the 45 if that rule was in place.  ;)

Literally thousands of games have been played with the hooter in the ladies games and there is never any bother with time-keeping.

Congress approved a hooter system twice yet Central Council stopped it being introduced.

Some of the reasons Central Council gave why it shouldn't be introduced was because they were afraid that it would lead to teams playing keep ball at the end of matches [as if that doesn't happen anyways] They were also afraid that a hooter system might lead to substitutions being made to waste time [as if that doesn't happen anyways (and also there is a blinding obvious solution to this - stop the clock for substitutions]

Complete head in the sand stuff from Central Council on this

imtommygunn

The time wasting at the end of games is ridiculous these days. I find it hard to believe it could get any worse.

rrhf

Going into this game we all knew that the strong Derry club teams can pass the ball around side to side and win a game 5-4 or 7 -6. In one intercounty game in the past they kept the ruling all ireland champions to no score at half time.   Defensive ability is never or has never been in question with Derry. It is as much about their own belief in themselves going forward, confronting those negative demons, and for 73 minutes you could see it was working under GAllaghers tutelage.... even forgiving the fisted efforts over the bar.  It is worth pointing out though that during this time the Derry men they reneged their  right to complain about penalties, as they would have more than likely taken a point as they did with the 4 goal chances they did have. In 1993 when the greatest ever Derry team  took the field, them boys knew full well that they had hardly a forward to their name, but what they did have made up for it by attacking and shooting twice as much as the opposition and having a go and indeed plenty went over and under the bar for that have a lash mentality.  It mightn't have been easy on the eye for most, but they knew when they were facing an auld done Cork team in the final, that their time had come, they just had to be brave and go for it and they did, and to this day there is a Sam Maguire base in the Croke Park museum with their name on it. The modern team needs to look at the history make up for their obvious failings by pulling out the VHS and watching those lads simply having a go...     

tonto1888

Regarding the 4 mins injury time; is it not the case that the time added on at the end is a minimum?

J70

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 13, 2021, 08:37:44 PM
Regarding the 4 mins injury time; is it not the case that the time added on at the end is a minimum?

Yes.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on July 13, 2021, 05:24:38 PM
How aware do you think the players were of the time remaining?

In my experience the players are talking to you that whole period, even to the point of checking your watch. They are well aware
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 13, 2021, 05:26:03 PM

When times up, it's up !

Hope ye got called a baldy basturt at least once also 😃

Was called it very recently  ; , called him over and faked a red card, he shit himself,  I was just going to show him yellow but couldn't resist   ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mikhailov

Lads, can anyone recommend a good bar in Belfast city centre to watch the 2 Ulster semi finals this weekend. I appreciate the golf is on as well but which bar(s) would be best to catch the Gaelic or even better, be able to watch the golf and the GAA

Brick Tamlin

The garrick is your best bet. They'll definitely be showing it. Watched plenty a game in it in recent years.

Franko

Quote from: JoG2 on July 13, 2021, 06:32:17 PM

A proper leader? Did you see some of the scores from likes of McFaul and McGuigan when Donegal had fought their way back into the game on different occasions? Glass and even young Doherty. That team had leadership all over the pitch on Sunday. From a team playing Div 4 very recently to what we witnessed in Ballybofey. You could see from about the 65th minute on alot of the players were out on their feet. It's just didn't happen in the last few mins. Certainly not down to not having a proper leader

Firstly, playing well (even when under pressure) does not automatically make someone a good leader.  It just makes them a good footballer.

Those guys are too young to be the type of player I'm talking about.  They may be on their way to being that player, but they're nowhere near the finished article.

It was so blindingly obvious what they should have done in those final minutes, but nobody elected to do it and nobody stepped forward and said 'right lads, this is what is gonna happen here'.   Instead, we had a queue of players, passing responsibility from one to the next, not wanting to be the one who made the decision.  Until such times as Coldrick made the decision for them.

Even so-called 'second-rate' Derry teams (early 2000's etc) would have had an abundance of players with the gumption to know how to engineer a free in that situation.