What TV to Buy

Started by galwayman, September 16, 2008, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: ziggysego on October 04, 2010, 12:47:23 PM
Is it possible to get Freeview HD TVs, with a built in HDD for recording? Plus, can you get TVs north of the border, with digital RTEs, TV3 and TG4 tuners?
If you wanted a recording set up that functions better than Sky+, I think you have to get another box.
the Humax FOXSAT would be the top of the pile.

My Panny TXP42 tuner can handle  dvb-t  - mpeg2 -  regular digital transmission  - picked up by a suitable antennae.
Those images are bit too soft for my taste. But as I hardly watch dvd-t I haven´t bothered to figure it out.

The G20  has  a dvt-t2  tuner   for hd mpeg4

orangeman

Anybody know anything about these new 3D TVs ?

Seen a Sony one recently - looks deadly. Picture quality is unreal.

caughtredhanded

Test drove one in a shop last week, truly incredible experience but I honestly have better things to do with £1800 right now and I felt a bit of a dick standing in House of Fraser with those £90 glasses on  :D

Its not just the depth of image that is enhanced but the colour and contrast is the mutts nuts too.

orangeman

Quote from: caughtredhanded on November 25, 2010, 11:12:14 PM
Test drove one in a shop last week, truly incredible experience but I honestly have better things to do with £1800 right now and I felt a bit of a dick standing in House of Fraser with those £90 glasses on  :D

Its not just the depth of image that is enhanced but the colour and contrast is the mutts nuts too.

The yokes I from £1100 - £1500 - Sony refunds the VAT.

The pictures were outstanding. The boyo in the shop was telling me that they're putting Twitter and Facebook on the screen soon.

The technology is incredible.

David McKeown

Not fussed for 3d on anything other than golf at the minute.  Football is particularly poor at the minute because of the strange camera angles they have to use just to show off the 3d.  That said you can get a Samsung tv which gets very good reviews starting at 700 online so if I was buying a new tv anyway I would probably consider 3d
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: David McKeown on November 26, 2010, 09:39:56 AM
Not fussed for 3d on anything other than golf at the minute.  Football is particularly poor at the minute because of the strange camera angles they have to use just to show off the 3d.  That said you can get a Samsung tv which gets very good reviews starting at 700 online so if I was buying a new tv anyway I would probably consider 3d

I watched the United/City derby a few weeks ago in the Errigal Inn, Belfast on 3D.  Was very very disappointed, i thought 3D was supposed to like come out of the TV at you ???  I though the camera angles where shocking as well.

Think 3D probably works better in animated programmes.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Bud Wiser

Quote from: ExiledGael on September 17, 2008, 05:32:26 PM
Have a Samsung 37" and haven't had a problem.
Forget about the Plasma and maybe just get the LCD HD ready but you pay extra for anything to do with the HD and then you've to pay extra to Sky or whoever to recieve all your channels in HD mode. Waste of money for very little difference if you ask me.

I got the Sam Sung 46" but not LCD, I got LED and there is a huge difference between the HD and standard with Sky.  Maybe you did not have to suffer UPC long enough to appreciate the HD but to me it makes an awful lot of difference.

D'other thing to consider I was told by a young lad in Curry's is the standard distance from the telly or the size of room it is in to the size of screen formula and he said you can actually have too big a screen as well as too small, if that makes any sense.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

orangeman

So are they not worth the money then ??

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Bud Wiser on November 26, 2010, 01:30:22 PM
Quote from: ExiledGael on September 17, 2008, 05:32:26 PM
Have a Samsung 37" and haven't had a problem.
Forget about the Plasma and maybe just get the LCD HD ready but you pay extra for anything to do with the HD and then you've to pay extra to Sky or whoever to recieve all your channels in HD mode. Waste of money for very little difference if you ask me.

I got the Sam Sung 46" but not LCD, I got LED and there is a huge difference between the HD and standard with Sky.  Maybe you did not have to suffer UPC long enough to appreciate the HD but to me it makes an awful lot of difference.

D'other thing to consider I was told by a young lad in Curry's is the standard distance from the telly or the size of room it is in to the size of screen formula and he said you can actually have too big a screen as well as too small, if that makes any sense.

Absolutely Bud, you should buy your screen size to suit your room, viewing distance is everything. Basic guidelines here:

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

DirtyDozen12

Reading this thread and looking to buy a new Tv myself for the sitting room.  Looking between 42 and 50 inch.  the general feeling reading the thread is to opt for a Panasonic Plasma TV, anyone any good recommendations?
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Main Street

downredblack

After winning a Walker LCD 32 " , The young one is delighted with it in her room . I have never heard of them , will I get the year out of it ?

ziggysego

I've entered The Gadget Show competition. If I win, I'll tell you all about the TVs :D
Testing Accessibility

isourboydownyet

Quote from: downredblack on December 17, 2010, 09:14:37 PM
After winning a Walker LCD 32 " , The young one is delighted with it in her room . I have never heard of them , will I get the year out of it ?

not a bad set,most of them are mpeg4 tuner so with the right aerial you will get rte through freeview.

the Deel Rover

Got a present of a samsung lcd led tv. There is a   great picture off it untill you watch a football match  then there appears to be shadows as the players run (not doing a good job explianing this) any one any ideas of what could be wrong  ???
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001