What TV to Buy

Started by galwayman, September 16, 2008, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 31, 2020, 03:37:41 PM
Quote from: gallsman on December 31, 2020, 02:57:24 PM
As in become widely available to consumers for a few hundred quid? Not any time soon. Not within the next 5 years for sure.

If you have the space for a 65in, get the 65in. There's no way I could ever have my main TV below 65in after my current one.

Cheers- I would have room for 65" fairly comfortably. Need to try and justify it to myself now!
Considering you're already asking the question -  55 or 65,  the thrill  of  a 55" might last 2 days before the regrets come calling.
Your future would be haunted by thoughts of regrets. Every time you would sit down in front of a 55" you'd never experience  true peace of mind.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Main Street on December 31, 2020, 04:53:12 PM
As in become widely available to consumers for a few hundred quid? Not any time soon. Not within the next 5 years for sure.

If you have the space for a 65in, get the 65in. There's no way I could ever have my main TV below 65in after my current one.

Cheers- I would have room for 65" fairly comfortably. Need to try and justify it to myself now!
Considering you're already asking the question -  55 or 65,  the thrill  of  a 55" might last 2 days before the regrets come calling.
Your future would be haunted by thoughts of regrets. Every time you would sit down in front of a 55" you'd never experience  true peace of mind.

Ha Ha- When you put it like that....
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

laoislad

I still haven't bought a new one yet,head getting a bit fried trying to find one. For every 20 good reviews you might read 1 bad one but it's enough to put the doubts in the mind.

When are new TVs released? Would I be better off holding on until then? Though I have my eye now on this after talking to the guys in Richer Sounds.
I'm limited to a 50" Max unfortunately.
https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204635-sony-bravia-kd49xh9505bu-49-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-android-tv-youview.aspx?swapstore=1
Took a spin up to Curry's the other day to see it in person and it is pretty impressive in fairness.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gallsman

Thing is, with improved technology and mainstream adoption of 4K, unless you've dropped a few quid on a TV in the last few years, anything you get is going to be a massive step up on your current kit.

That TV looks good Laoislad. I'd get an OLED or a QLED myself but it's about what's right for you.

One think to think about when buying new TVs, if it matters to you, is a sound system. Speakers are mechanical devices. They need sound and space. Built in speakers, even on TVs costing thousands, are shite. If it does indeed matter to you, factor in a few hundred quid for a decent soundbar.

thewobbler

I got lit up like Christmas by the Tv experts for mentioning this before. But here goes again.

You've only one Tv per room. The chances of you concerning yourself on the difference between QLED, LED and OLED when you're immersed in HD Narcos is next to none.

Instead:

1. Buy the biggest TV size you can afford while not dominating the wall.

2. Make sure it has Freeview HD (not Freeview +) i in the north.

3. Stick to Samsung, LG and Sony as they will have all the apps you need, and are easy to use, which negates the need for multiple remote controls.

4. The sound will not be good, mainly because there's no room for speakers. Buy a sound bar if you've tiled floors or a big room, or both.

5. If you change your Tv every 10 years it doesn't matter if you get a year old model or next year's model. They're both so much better than what you have you won't believe.

That's just practical advice from a realist who watches TV programmes, not TVs.

Happy new year.

armaghniac

This is true, but a 65" will be 20% cheaper and will have extra features in a year or two, so the calculation is not as black and white as it might me.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on December 31, 2020, 07:07:00 PM

This is true, but a 65" will be 20% cheaper and will have extra features in a year or two, so the calculation is not as black and white as it might me.
Unlike you shifty Armagh folk, Norf sounds like a guy who makes a choice and sticks with it for at least 10 years (ie. apart from his woman), 'tis better he makes the sound choice for his future peace of mind over the next decade, rather than live with a regret that he will have to repair inside 2 years.

armaghniac

Quote from: Main Street on December 31, 2020, 10:13:43 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 31, 2020, 07:07:00 PM

Unlike you shifty Armagh folk, Norf sounds like a guy who makes a choice and sticks with it for at least 10 years (ie. apart from his woman), 'tis better he makes the sound choice for his future peace of mind over the next decade, rather than live with a regret that he will have to repair inside 2 years.

It depends on the product. You buy a fridge to do for years, because they don't change much. Most people do not buy a mobile phone to do for a decade.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Norf Tyrone

gallsman

Better looking site than clear scams, I'll say that.

Have never heard of Frys Club. Worth a punt for 75 quid?! Buy on credit card and vision back there just in case?

laoislad

Anyone I know that bought a curved TV regretted that decision.
But for 75 quid sure it's worth a try if it is actually legit I suppose.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gallsman

Quote from: laoislad on January 06, 2021, 04:40:01 PM
Anyone I know that bought a curved TV regretted that decision.
But for 75 quid sure it's worth a try if it is actually legit I suppose.

There are other ones there just as cheap.

JohnDenver

Looks like a scam of some sort. If you go to the "About Us" section, everything refers to Rysclub - yet the address is clearly frysclub ? 

Nothing in the way of contact details either.

Richer Sounds is yer man, LL

Norf Tyrone

Lads- Quick question for the experts. I have a TV in the sun room and the SKY box is in a cupboard in the middle of the house with a normal def cable coming from the SKY box to the various TVs around the house.
I want to run a HD cable off the box now to the TV in the sun room. I assume I'll need a HDMI wall plate and connect to the wall via that, if that's not a silly question?

The WiFi box is in the same cupboard, so to put an ethernet from the TV to the broadband I want to do similar.

Is one of these plates the thing I am looking for? I am useless at this type of thing but I think even I could do this!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/C4A-Single-Ethernet-Connect-Faceplate-White/dp/B07V3CZ9MW

WeeDonns

Yes,
that particular Ethernet point is CAT6, so use Cat6 cable
Will you have room to connect the HDMI cable you pull from the cupboard to the back of that plate? you wouldn't have room in a normal wall box, but maybe if its a stud wall or something you'll have room to connect