What TV to Buy

Started by galwayman, September 16, 2008, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

My parents bought a smart t.v. last year without consulting me and I cry every time I'm home and I have to use it

So, do your research well

gallsman

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on March 02, 2020, 10:08:30 PM
"Will TV be placed beside a widow and watched during day"

Sounds like an ideal afternoon, in the nursing home.

Big championship games (like those on a gaaboard might be interested in watching), to give one example, tend to be played on Saturday and Sunday afternoons in the middle of the summer.

Main Street

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 02, 2020, 10:25:55 PM
Quote from: gallsman on March 02, 2020, 09:49:47 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 02, 2020, 02:32:46 PM
Sony do make the best TVs.

But after them I would only recommend LG or Samsung. Smart TV apps are maybe the most important thing on a modern TV, and the difference in availability of Apps between Sony, Samsung, LG, and then everyone else, is extraordinary.

No they don't. They haven't done for years. And Android TV is dreadful. I say this as a huge Android fan.

Smart apps on the TV aren't the most important thing in the slightest. You can easily get whatever apps or user interface you want plugging in a fire stick, Roku stick, Nvidia shield etc.

Your post is absolutely uninformed waffle.

TrueBlue, 120Hz refresh rate isn't important if gaming isn't important.

What's more important is the colour gamut, whether you need OLED or not, will TV be placed beside a widow and watched during day (if so get one capable of achieving higher brightness). What connections do you need? How many HDMI? Do you need hdmi 2.1?

Also, with any flatscreen TVs these days, if you value sound quality in even the slightest fashion, get a soundbar. Even a cheap one is far superior to the inbuilt speakers on a TV.

Cheers. Room will be in the sunroom and quite a bit of glare. So will keep an eye on the brightness. For hdmi only connection now is a android box and the BT box.
The rule of thumb is matte screen for bright rooms
You can always get those japanese style movable screens (partition)  will also help with sound quality and easily tidied away.

laoislad

QuoteBe a little wary of "Vestel" TV's - these are often sold as rebadged products that are often found at the lower or budget end of the market, the thing is that even some of the more "reputable" brands sell some of their cheapest TV's are Vestel rebrands, so it can be worth checking out beforehand. I'd just like to mention that Vestel made televisions (most are manufactured in Turkey) aren't usually piles of junk and indeed are often acceptable as a secondary TV say in a kitchen or bedroom, but they usually have some minor deficiencies compared to the more higher-end brands that the average Padraig or Aislinn won't notice or care much but whom a videophile would especially for large screen displays. Vestel's are easy enough to spot however if the screen is on, as they all have a common layout and pattern with their on-screen displays.
I've had a LG for the past few years, in the last few months the screen has been giving off a blueish hue.
It's gradually getting worse. On investigation this seems to be a common problem and apparently according to one source I found it's because the model I have is basically a rebadged Vestel.
I found this reply on another forum to someone who had the exact same problem as me

The Blue LED phenomenon exists in LED backlights that are manyfactured by a company called Vestel. Notorious in the TV trade for building sub-standard TVs, and, supplying parts to other manufacturers. Once the Vestel LEDS begin to age, they turn blue, then blow.

So I want to replace the TV but I'm a bit reluctant to buy LG now. Is there anyway of knowing beforehand if they are Vestels or not?

Also have any of you Nordies bought from Richer Sounds in the North? They are a good bit cheaper even with delivery to the South.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

JohnDenver

Quote from: laoislad on December 17, 2020, 04:52:14 PM
QuoteBe a little wary of "Vestel" TV's - these are often sold as rebadged products that are often found at the lower or budget end of the market, the thing is that even some of the more "reputable" brands sell some of their cheapest TV's are Vestel rebrands, so it can be worth checking out beforehand. I'd just like to mention that Vestel made televisions (most are manufactured in Turkey) aren't usually piles of junk and indeed are often acceptable as a secondary TV say in a kitchen or bedroom, but they usually have some minor deficiencies compared to the more higher-end brands that the average Padraig or Aislinn won't notice or care much but whom a videophile would especially for large screen displays. Vestel's are easy enough to spot however if the screen is on, as they all have a common layout and pattern with their on-screen displays.
I've had a LG for the past few years, in the last few months the screen has been giving off a blueish hue.
It's gradually getting worse. On investigation this seems to be a common problem and apparently according to one source I found it's because the model I have is basically a rebadged Vestel.
I found this reply on another forum to someone who had the exact same problem as me

The Blue LED phenomenon exists in LED backlights that are manyfactured by a company called Vestel. Notorious in the TV trade for building sub-standard TVs, and, supplying parts to other manufacturers. Once the Vestel LEDS begin to age, they turn blue, then blow.

So I want to replace the TV but I'm a bit reluctant to buy LG now. Is there anyway of knowing beforehand if they are Vestels or not?

Also have any of you Nordies bought from Richer Sounds in the North? They are a good bit cheaper even with delivery to the South.

Yeah seem to be a good company to deal with - and the added bonus of a 6 year warranty included with most products of a certain price. I wouldn't have much hesitation in dealing with them again, luckily haven't had to avail of any warranty yet.

JimStynes

Richer Sounds have always been brilliant for me and Da would get all his TVs from then. Not bad reports so far.

gallsman

Laoislad richersounds have dedicated reps on boards.ie so you could ask them anything you wanted directly. Loads of people over there use them, they seem to have a great rep.

Jeepers Creepers

Have used richer sounds quite abit over the years and can't fault them. Staff quite happy to bore the balls of ye with their Tech Knowledge as well.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 18, 2020, 09:25:10 AM
Have used richer sounds quite abit over the years and can't fault them. Staff quite happy to bore the balls of ye with their Tech Knowledge as well.
+1 with Richer sounds. bought both TVs and audio equipment from them. Knowledge and service both excellent
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Norf Tyrone

Some good advice on here from the usual experts and I'll jump across to boards.ie for more as suggested.

However maybe a question that can be answered on here. I've been itching to buy a new TV for about a year but kept putting it off. I've currently a 42in Samsung that I got 12 years ago, and it's still going great. It has served me well. So it's not that I need a change as such.

I really want to buy an OLED and although the 55" are in my price range, I am worried I'll get it and wish I went 65". I was hoping the sales might have fired up some hope but prices have remained steady (Is covid stopping sales?). When do people think OLEDs will start to drop?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

gallsman

As in become widely available to consumers for a few hundred quid? Not any time soon. Not within the next 5 years for sure.

If you have the space for a 65in, get the 65in. There's no way I could ever have my main TV below 65in after my current one.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: gallsman on December 31, 2020, 02:57:24 PM
As in become widely available to consumers for a few hundred quid? Not any time soon. Not within the next 5 years for sure.

If you have the space for a 65in, get the 65in. There's no way I could ever have my main TV below 65in after my current one.

Cheers- I would have room for 65" fairly comfortably. Need to try and justify it to myself now!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

gallsman

Think about where the TV will be placed and the dimensions of the room. I assume it'll be 4K, if not 8K. TV doesn't have to be so far from the sofa.