Connacht Senior Football Championship 2021

Started by Cunny Funt, June 18, 2021, 12:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Tubberman on July 26, 2021, 11:45:04 AM
He lost one  - Roscommon 2019.

Yeah, forgot about that - getting old! So he about 85% success.  :-\

Duine Eile

It was definitely O'Hora that 'tackled' Shane, it happened in front of where we were sitting. Disaster of a day, to go in at half time 5 points up and not score from play in the second half is unforgivable at this level. The goalkeeping/kick out situation at this stage is laughable, Gleeson had a howler of a day yesterday, Power might not be the answer either but his distribution is streets ahead of Gleeson. Sean Kelly going off was a hammer blow, he's grown into one of our most important players. We have a real lack of scoring forwards at the minute, Cathal Sweeney was sweeping, Cooke seems to have lost the ability/confidence to score, teams have come to terms with Comers brute force now, he needs to develop another side to his game. Finnerty going off was another blow and he was replaced with another sweeper which didn't make a lot of sense, put all the pressure of scoring on to an already under pressure Shane Walsh. Paul Kelly was anonymous but he'll come good eventually, first proper season and he's still u-20. Some very baffling decisions made by the sideline, an injured Shane replaced by Johnny Duane when we were in need of scores, Mike Farragher has been a brilliant player for Corofin but hasn't played a minutes ball over the whole league and championship, don't think he made the match day squad even and he was brought on yesterday? I also spotted Sean Andy Kelly at the match as a supporter, another defection from the panel it seems. To be honest I think this job came too soon for P.J. but that said I think he'll stay on, they haven't had a straight forward year yet with Covid disruptions etc so maybe he deserves that last roll of the dice but do we have the time to give him that chance, I don't know. If he does stay on he need to seriously rethink the S and C side of things, he needs a proper coach like Dave Morris or Rochford and he needs to get those players that opted out to come back, without the likes of Adrian Varley, Ian Burke, Ronan Steede, Michael Daly etc our panel is very bare.

An Fhairche Abu

All due respect to a legend of the game, we have seen nothing that indicates Galway are going to improve from here, will be an absolute dogfight to get back to Div One next year as well.
Not entirely his fault - Galway football problems are of a more systemic nature I feel and outside of a few players a lot of them have just not done it at Senior level - but the cold facts are what they are, Mayo have made a team transition without skipping a beat, people on about all the young players that have started for Galway, the Mayo young lads have come in and are winning, they look absolutely miles ahead in terms of conditioning, attitude and aggression.
Depressing enough really, I don't know do many people even care, if you look at the pathetic fund raising return from earlier in the year, the shambles that is the county website, everything points to a two bob operation.
For the people I see on social media trying to go on about Mayo's failure to land the big one to make themselves feel a bit better about the hames we are in at the moment it makes me cringe.
Mayo are the ones rightly laughing at us, 10 semi finals in 11 years, they are the only show in town West of the Shannon at the top table, Galway have had one good year in twenty and failed utterly to build off the back of that. Expecting some out of nowhere event like 98 to happen again is a Fools errant, we're hopelessly exposed in CP all the time and I've yet to hear a coherent plan about how Galway football is going to be turned around, forget the underage wins, we had those before and made no use of them, what's the plan to get Galway consistently playing in the later stages the Senior Championship?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 26, 2021, 02:28:03 PM
It was definitely O'Hora that 'tackled' Shane, it happened in front of where we were sitting. Disaster of a day, to go in at half time 5 points up and not score from play in the second half is unforgivable at this level. The goalkeeping/kick out situation at this stage is laughable, Gleeson had a howler of a day yesterday, Power might not be the answer either but his distribution is streets ahead of Gleeson. Sean Kelly going off was a hammer blow, he's grown into one of our most important players. We have a real lack of scoring forwards at the minute, Cathal Sweeney was sweeping, Cooke seems to have lost the ability/confidence to score, teams have come to terms with Comers brute force now, he needs to develop another side to his game.

Comer needs to be closer to goal. He spent most of the 2nd half yesterday stuck out on the wing. Heard Kevin Walsh interviewed after the game and he said (correctly IMO) that Comer is a power athlete not an endurance athlete. You can't have him chasing lads up and down the pitch. He's not built to do that. Get him closer to goal and let him use his power over short bursts where he is still very dangerous. The one time he went in close to goal in the 2nd half he hit the crossbar and was fair unlucky to see it somehow not bounce in or over the bar but straight up in the air and out.

Duine Eile

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 26, 2021, 02:54:11 PM
Quote from: Duine Eile on July 26, 2021, 02:28:03 PM
It was definitely O'Hora that 'tackled' Shane, it happened in front of where we were sitting. Disaster of a day, to go in at half time 5 points up and not score from play in the second half is unforgivable at this level. The goalkeeping/kick out situation at this stage is laughable, Gleeson had a howler of a day yesterday, Power might not be the answer either but his distribution is streets ahead of Gleeson. Sean Kelly going off was a hammer blow, he's grown into one of our most important players. We have a real lack of scoring forwards at the minute, Cathal Sweeney was sweeping, Cooke seems to have lost the ability/confidence to score, teams have come to terms with Comers brute force now, he needs to develop another side to his game.

Ya I'd agree with that re Comer, I also don't think Shane Walsh is a no 14, his speed and ball carrying ability is wasted in there.

Comer needs to be closer to goal. He spent most of the 2nd half yesterday stuck out on the wing. Heard Kevin Walsh interviewed after the game and he said (correctly IMO) that Comer is a power athlete not an endurance athlete. You can't have him chasing lads up and down the pitch. He's not built to do that. Get him closer to goal and let him use his power over short bursts where he is still very dangerous. The one time he went in close to goal in the 2nd half he hit the crossbar and was fair unlucky to see it somehow not bounce in or over the bar but straight up in the air and out.

mouview

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 26, 2021, 02:53:09 PM
All due respect to a legend of the game, we have seen nothing that indicates Galway are going to improve from here, will be an absolute dogfight to get back to Div One next year as well.
Not entirely his fault - Galway football problems are of a more systemic nature I feel and outside of a few players a lot of them have just not done it at Senior level - but the cold facts are what they are, Mayo have made a team transition without skipping a beat, people on about all the young players that have started for Galway, the Mayo young lads have come in and are winning, they look absolutely miles ahead in terms of conditioning, attitude and aggression.
Depressing enough really, I don't know do many people even care, if you look at the pathetic fund raising return from earlier in the year, the shambles that is the county website, everything points to a two bob operation.
For the people I see on social media trying to go on about Mayo's failure to land the big one to make themselves feel a bit better about the hames we are in at the moment it makes me cringe.
Mayo are the ones rightly laughing at us, 10 semi finals in 11 years, they are the only show in town West of the Shannon at the top table, Galway have had one good year in twenty and failed utterly to build off the back of that. Expecting some out of nowhere event like 98 to happen again is a Fools errant, we're hopelessly exposed in CP all the time and I've yet to hear a coherent plan about how Galway football is going to be turned around, forget the underage wins, we had those before and made no use of them, what's the plan to get Galway consistently playing in the later stages the Senior Championship?

Not saying it would be a panacea or anything, but one thing I would like to see is a more competitive domestic championship. Corofin's dominance has been a real drag on player development at club level I feel over the past decade and the championship has subsequently been of poor standard. With Moycullen - M/M contesting the most recent final maybe the portents in this area are about to change. It mightn't help our hurling counterparts too much but at least the championship there is of a much higher calibre and helps identify players with county potential.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 26, 2021, 06:27:04 AM
Quote from: mouview on July 26, 2021, 12:38:41 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 25, 2021, 10:18:49 PM
That tackle o'hora did in the first half was as good as you'd see. It's rare you see dispossessions like that these days. (Although O'Shea did a couple of good ones too).

His 'tackle' on Shane Walsh was hardly one for the annals.

Walsh should have kept his hands to himself then instead of trying to grab him to the ground.

Exactly Farr. Walsh lost.
Before the throw in Finnerty made a show of toughing up to O Hora. Barging into him and giving him the bumpers. For me, that told me he was terrified of The Swan - which he should have been. Swanee just laughed in his face. Finnerty, I suspect was happy to get an injury and get replaced asap.
Swanee got a right clatter later. Par for the course with him. He hurts people but not going to moan if he gets hurt as well. He's used to it.

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on July 26, 2021, 11:32:54 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 26, 2021, 11:04:51 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on July 25, 2021, 09:20:34 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 25, 2021, 08:26:17 PM
The Connacht final is what it is but football is weird now. Galway hit rock bottom around 2010 and started a rebuild job that is still ongoing. Mayo have been orbiting the summit since 2012 without getting to do the deed.

What is it that ye're building that is going on 11 years without any structure?
It seemed to be going ok until around 2018 but has lost it way since then.
I wouldn't be happy with losing all Irelands either , however. A loss is a loss.
Galway lost 3 in the 70s.

Where have you gone Michael Donnellan? A county turns it's lonely eyes to you.

Bímse buan ar buairt gach ló,
Ag caoi go crua is ag tuar na ndeor
Mar scaoileadh uaim an buachaill beo
Is ná ríomhtar tuairisc uaidh, mo bhrón

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on July 26, 2021, 04:06:02 PM

Not saying it would be a panacea or anything, but one thing I would like to see is a more competitive domestic championship. Corofin's dominance has been a real drag on player development at club level I feel over the past decade and the championship has subsequently been of poor standard. With Moycullen - M/M contesting the most recent final maybe the portents in this area are about to change. It mightn't help our hurling counterparts too much but at least the championship there is of a much higher calibre and helps identify players with county potential.
Crossmaglen's multiple club all Irelands didn't do anything for Armagh.Similar for Athenry and Portumna in the hurling. Or St Thomas' ?
6 teams on a similar level develop over time and can generate a very decent pick.
Sure Galway wouldn't have won in 98 without being beaten by Mayo in 97. 

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: seafoid on July 27, 2021, 07:52:38 AM

Crossmaglen's multiple club all Irelands didn't do anything for Armagh.Similar for Athenry and Portumna in the hurling. Or St Thomas' ?
6 teams on a similar level develop over time and can generate a very decent pick.

Are you arguing that a competitive championship would help or wouldn't make a difference. I genuinely can't tell from your post
Hasta la victoria siempre

Armagh18

Did Armagh not win an AI in 02 and rake of Ulsters in the noughties with the same stars on both teams- McConville, Belleew etc...

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kevin-mcstay-mayo-firmly-in-the-all-ireland-mix-as-they-prepare-for-defining-test-1.4630842
Afterwards, the stats I got from RTÉ told a bleak tale for the losing team. Galway were destroyed in their long kick-out, winning just 38 per cent. Mayo won 75 per cent of their own long restarts. That is game, set and match. From those possessions Mayo scored 2-8. Why is that happening?
Well, they have one of the best kick-out presses in the game. They force teams to kick long and then they employ the overload, where they can get five or six around the dropping ball. Again, they get there quickly. They cover ground.

It was a 0-11 swing in the second half of a Connacht final. Galway went 30 minutes without a score. They didn't score from play in the second half. It is a shocking indictment. It ended bizarrely with Mayo's James Carr tapping a goal chance over the bar as though to spare them embarrassment. I don't know why he didn't go for it. He hit a cracking goal down in Limerick in a qualifier against Galway so he has the instinct.

That moment should be the enduring memory of the day for this Galway team. Last thing they want is Mayo sympathy. It is their third successive defeat in a Connacht final. They can't launch properly until they sort out the backyard. They have had a bad season.
And like a few other counties – Armagh, Donegal – they have to go off this winter and ask the right questions in order to arrive at the correct answers. In a few facets of the game they are well off the standard.

seafoid

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 27, 2021, 08:17:43 AM

Did Armagh not win an AI in 02 and rake of Ulsters in the noughties with the same stars on both teams- McConville, Belleew etc...
Cross won about 15 county titles after 2003. Armagh won 0 all Irelands during this time.   

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/galway-failed-to-reckon-with-fact-that-mayo-always-turn-up-at-croke-park-1.4630169

And so Mayo go through to their 10th All-Ireland semi-final in 11 years.
For a bit of context, consider the fact that before 2011 they had been in 10 All-Ireland semi-finals in the previous 30 years.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on July 27, 2021, 09:23:43 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/galway-failed-to-reckon-with-fact-that-mayo-always-turn-up-at-croke-park-1.4630169

And so Mayo go through to their 10th All-Ireland semi-final in 11 years.
For a bit of context, consider the fact that before 2011 they had been in 10 All-Ireland semi-finals in the previous 30 years.

How about 2 semi-finals in 25 years 1955-1980