Connacht Senior Football Championship 2021

Started by Cunny Funt, June 18, 2021, 12:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 28, 2021, 02:12:22 PM
PJ has one year left and I think even with the relegation and if Galway lose this game he will get to see his term out.

No quotes from the manager as he left the media duties this week to Concannon but the mood music is certainly being set for staying on regardless of the result, quotes that ""We have a very young team...everybody is learning" and "there may be eight, nine, 10 players either making their debut or their second Championship game for Galway, nobody realises that" were the main talking points out of his interview, blaming inexperience for the loss against Monaghan down the stretch. All fair enough points I suppose but you need to go out and perform regardless, you have what you have and it's their panel that they picked, don't know if that's the type of talk you'd like to hear going into a knockout championship game but won't matter much if they show up on Sunday.

Ronan Steede is gone from the Galway panel, slightly surprising as even when he had a very rocky start to the FBD and league in 2020 Joyce stuck with him and was mad to get him into the setup. Steede got more up to speed after that and was playing well pre COVID although I appreciate that may as well be ten years ago at this stage. Would have thought he'd be a bench option at least.

"Championship is the only thing that matters" has been the mantra from both managers ahead of this match and remains to be seen what happens to the unlucky manager to lose out, lack of a backdoor is a killer really, Rossies and Galway may not be in the top tier of counties but certainly would fancy themselves against any of other teams outside the top 8.
I genuinely wouldn't like to have to call it, any number of scenarios are just as likely to be honest, Rossies could come storming out with a 2017 style performance, Galway could win narrowly in a tight game, either of the teams are liable to just not show up on the day and take a good beating as well.

rosnarun

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 02, 2021, 10:14:54 AM
PJ has one year left and I think even with the relegation and if Galway lose this game he will get to see his term out.

No quotes from the manager as he left the media duties this week to Concannon but the mood music is certainly being set for staying on regardless of the result, quotes that "“We have a very young team...everybody is learning" and "there may be eight, nine, 10 players either making their debut or their second Championship game for Galway, nobody realises that" were the main talking points out of his interview, blaming inexperience for the loss against Monaghan down the stretch. All fair enough points I suppose but you need to go out and perform regardless, you have what you have and it’s their panel that they picked, don’t know if that’s the type of talk you’d like to hear going into a knockout championship game but won’t matter much if they show up on Sunday.

Ronan Steede is gone from the Galway panel, slightly surprising as even when he had a very rocky start to the FBD and league in 2020 Joyce stuck with him and was mad to get him into the setup. Steede got more up to speed after that and was playing well pre COVID although I appreciate that may as well be ten years ago at this stage. Would have thought he'd be a bench option at least.

“Championship is the only thing that matters” has been the mantra from both managers ahead of this match and remains to be seen what happens to the unlucky manager to lose out, lack of a backdoor is a killer really, Rossies and Galway may not be in the top tier of counties but certainly would fancy themselves against any of other teams outside the top 8.
I genuinely wouldn’t like to have to call it, any number of scenarios are just as likely to be honest, Rossies could come storming out with a 2017 style performance, Galway could win narrowly in a tight game, either of the teams are liable to just not show up on the day and take a good beating as well.

have many Galway player left the panel by their own choice.
Galway don't seem to have the strength in Depth they used to or if im being honest theforst team they had a few years back. The Zip seems to be gone from them
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

An Fhairche Abu

Galway (SF v Roscommon): C Gleeson; S O Ceallaigh, S Mulkerrin, L Silke; K Molloy, D McHugh, J Heaney; P Conroy, M Tierney; D Comer, P Cooke, F O Laoi; R Finnerty, S Walsh, P O Ceallaigh.

Gleeson getting the nod over Power. Assuming they line out as selected, a first Championship start for Comer since Dublin in 2018, hard to believe.

Quote from: rosnarun on July 02, 2021, 10:39:48 AM
Galway don't seem to have the strength in Depth they used to or if im being honest theforst team they had a few years back. The Zip seems to be gone from them

A lot of players have left as a result of their own choice for a number of reasons, some of those that left were the solid, tough players that are required on every team the likes of Cathal Sweeney, Declan Kyne. A good number of players form just fell off a cliff as well, Ian Burke notably went from All Star form to offering very little, Sean Andy made a nice start to IC in 2018 but rapidly downhill after that. Injuries have destroyed Comer, for Galway we can't be without those difference making and game changing players, just do not have the replacements. John Daly another lad who you'd be looking to build a team around, cruciate injury.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Duine Eile

I wish we could pick a keeper and stick with him, not much between either of them but we need to be more consistent with whoever is picked.

Blowitupref

Roscommon starting team and subs for Sunday.

Colm Lavin - Eire Og
David Murray - Padraig Pearses
Brian Stack - St Brigids
Conor Daly - Padraig Pearses
Niall Daly - Padraig Pearses
Conor Hussey - Mícheal Glaveys
Sean Mullooly - Strokestown
Enda Smith - Boyle
Eddie Nolan - St Brigids
Niall Kilroy - Fuerty
Ciaran Murtagh - St Faithleachs
Shane Killoran - Elphin
Diarmuid Murtagh - St Faithleachs
Donie Smith - Boyle
Conor Cox - Eire Og

Subs : Patrick O Malley, David Neary, Fergal Lennon, Richard Hughes, Ronan Daly, Tadgh O Rourke, Cathal Cregg, Cian McKeon, Conor Devaney, Ciaran Lennon, Ultan Harney.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Manning18

No quotes from the manager as he left the media duties this week to Concannon but the mood music is certainly being set for staying on regardless of the result, quotes that ""We have a very young team...everybody is learning" and "there may be eight, nine, 10 players either making their debut or their second Championship game for Galway, nobody realises that" were the main talking points out of his interview, blaming inexperience for the loss against Monaghan down the stretch. All fair enough points I suppose but you need to go out and perform regardless, you have what you have and it's their panel that they picked, don't know if that's the type of talk you'd like to hear going into a knockout championship game but won't matter much if they show up on Sunday.

"Championship is the only thing that matters" has been the mantra from both managers ahead of this match and remains to be seen what happens to the unlucky manager to lose out, lack of a backdoor is a killer really, Rossies and Galway may not be in the top tier of counties but certainly would fancy themselves against any of other teams outside the top 8.
I genuinely wouldn't like to have to call it, any number of scenarios are just as likely to be honest, Rossies could come storming out with a 2017 style performance, Galway could win narrowly in a tight game, either of the teams are liable to just not show up on the day and take a good beating as well.

The first team is stronger if anything. Mulkerrin, Tierney and Kelly are 3 of the best underage players we've seen in Connacht for a while. Two other very promising 19 year olds on the bench. Cooke back is big and they'd hopefully have John Daly back shortly who is absolutely essential, probably moreso than any player. 

The issue compared to the settled side years ago is inexperience, a general lack of bite and what looks like a lot of tactical deficiencies sadly. The team has now come back from two lockdowns completely unfit, as Joyce seems to be the only manager in Ireland naive enough to take covid protocol seriously. Defensive setup has left a lot to be desired at times also

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Manning18 on July 02, 2021, 02:50:44 PM

The first team is stronger if anything. Mulkerrin, Tierney and Kelly are 3 of the best underage players we've seen in Connacht for a while. Two other very promising 19 year olds on the bench. Cooke back is big and they'd hopefully have John Daly back shortly who is absolutely essential, probably moreso than any player. 

The issue compared to the settled side years ago is inexperience, a general lack of bite and what looks like a lot of tactical deficiencies sadly. The team has now come back from two lockdowns completely unfit, as Joyce seems to be the only manager in Ireland naive enough to take covid protocol seriously. Defensive setup has left a lot to be desired at times also

Cunningham has done the same with Roscommon from what I have seen. Mayo the very opposite of both Galway, Roscommon. Flying fit and full of running.

Manning18

Yeah it was open knowledge Mayo were training through the first lockdown, never mind the second. I could understand PJ making the mistake once but it happening twice is unforgiveable. Even the way he talks about covid in interviews you get the impression he thinks there should be no GAA at all and it's unfair making players play

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Manning18 on July 02, 2021, 08:41:26 PM
Yeah it was open knowledge Mayo were training through the first lockdown, never mind the second. I could understand PJ making the mistake once but it happening twice is unforgiveable. Even the way he talks about covid in interviews you get the impression he thinks there should be no GAA at all and it's unfair making players play

Aye that's it. Mayo were training during lockdown and Galway weren't

You leave Frankie Dolan in the ha'penny place when it comes to having a chip on your shoulder about Mayo!
Hasta la victoria siempre

Farrandeelin

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's game I must say. Hopefully it'll be close. Personally I can't call it as both teams are going in on the back of disappointing league campaigns. While Galway won the league game, I think Anthony Cunningham might use that game to spur the Roscommon team on. A lot depends on the old cliché 'which team turns up'.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Wildweasel74

Where Ultan Harney disappear to, good player at u-21 level? Cathal Compton play no more either?

Rossfan

Harney has had a catalogue of injuries but is on the bench tomorrow.
Compton injured this year too and apparently left the panel as he was trying to establish a business.
Hard to see our lads being turned from flat, tired oul performances to flying Championship one in 3 weeks.
But when least expected we can so often surprise.
Galway can be hit and miss too so anything possible on the day.
Can't see us doing it but as ever it's sport which can be so illogical (except when playing Dublin) so you never know.
ROS ABÚ💛💛💛💙💙
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macker15

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 03, 2021, 09:45:38 AM
Where Ultan Harney disappear to, good player at u-21 level? Cathal Compton play no more either?

Harney tore his cruciate.