2024 Joe McDonagh Cup

Started by Mossy Bruce, March 24, 2024, 08:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verbal

Do you think maybe Rowland needs to go for fewer of those long range frees?
An awful amount of ball wasted today.
When it's not happening of a day, I think it has to be called to change tack.

The Boy Wonder

There was a bit of pushing and shoving after the game. I only saw the aftermath where those involved were being separated. I heard someone saying that the opposing managers were involved. It fizzled out fairly quickly anyway.

Great finish from our lads who looked dead and buried when 6 points down. A grand day out in the sun  :)

Laois man

Offaly manager johny Kelly couldn't take his beating. He was going at wille Dunphy aswell.

burdizzo

Quote from: Verbal on April 21, 2024, 03:37:34 PMDelighted with the win!
Even more delighted with how we won!

Exactly! Usually them that get the late goal to sink us, so this was indeed sweet. Not as good as the Dublin win, but still very good! Of course, it's only a first step. Great to have Picky to come in in the second half - and he had a lot to add to the mix besides just the frees. Purcell's trademark goal really the turning point. Up till then, our forwards couldn't really get motoring, with a lot of terrible ball in. In fairness, Offaly also guilty of hitting a bit of aimless ball. But after that first Purcell goal, it became real helter-skelter stuff, and in injury-time there can't have been a free given and the backs defended for their lives. Often wondered why Tom Cuddy was there, but he contributed well today. What's the odds of a re-match in the final? Quite short, I'd say!

G@@

Quote from: burdizzo on April 21, 2024, 07:50:44 PMWhat's the odds of a re-match in the final? Quite short, I'd say!
If Westmeath turn Offaly over next weekend, their season is effectively over.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: G@@ on April 21, 2024, 12:48:42 PMFor @Mossy Bruce over on the west coast USA, you can watch the match live on clubber.tv for €12 / $13. They also have an annual pass for €149 which is great value as alot of club matches are shown also.

Thanks, G@@! Unfortunately I forgot to set my alarm (for 5:30 am) to follow the match. AAAARGH! :'(  Anyway, I will check this out for future matches. Thanks, again.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

SCFC

What a great start to the JMD. Should be well capable of beating Meath next day out but need to be wary of both Down and Kerry while Westmeath despite their result yesterday will be a very tough game.
A lot of hurling to be done.
Very impressed with Tom Cuddy, Corby, Dooley and of course Paddy. Rowland excellent again too although as someone else said, maybe he could change it up a bit with the long range frees.
Wouldn't be impossible that we'll meet Offaly again. That would be great for hurling in the county.

georgedoylesrightleg

powerful finish but we not be leavin it so late next time mauybes. paddy is a bayshyt n great to have willie n picky n roddy there to close it out. biffos left the park fare quiet this week

redsetanta

Great to see a bit of character and grit to get the win
There's not doubt it wouldn't have happened without the subs and lads are right, I don't remember seeing a bench with as much experience or talent on it.

I suppose the only downside is that Offaly could have been much further ahead at half time which would have made life a lot more difficult.

Anyhow, a major hurdle out of the way and hopefully the lads stay focused and power on to the final.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Mad Mentor

Fantastic to dig out the win but much to improve on. A lot of our passes were inaccurate with lads having to try catch balls high over their heads or stretch out a hurl which impacted the fluidity. It's been a while since we could comfortably make substitutions with lads of equal quality. After 50 mins I would have not been upset by a narrow defeat with a good chance of a rematch in the final down the road, but the win was a bonus. With the exception of Screeney, I don't think Offaly had the same depth on the bench. I have felt Picky has seemed a bit lazy the last while but he turned the game yesterday.
Well done to all involved.

Laois Rising

It's no surprise that Laois' upturn in performance and results has coincided with Mossy Bruce's return to the forum!!!!

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: Laois Rising on April 22, 2024, 01:31:27 PMIt's no surprise that Laois' upturn in performance and results has coincided with Mossy Bruce's return to the forum!!!!

I'm not going anywhere, so on to the All-Ireland Championship in June!

( :o  yikes)
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

G@@

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on April 22, 2024, 05:30:22 AM
Quote from: G@@ on April 21, 2024, 12:48:42 PMFor @Mossy Bruce over on the west coast USA, you can watch the match live on clubber.tv for €12 / $13. They also have an annual pass for €149 which is great value as alot of club matches are shown also.

Thanks, G@@! Unfortunately I forgot to set my alarm (for 5:30 am) to follow the match. AAAARGH! :'(  Anyway, I will check this out for future matches. Thanks, again.

Forgot to mention, the match commentary is in English too!
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!