Hurling 2022

Started by Dag Dog, January 17, 2022, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 25, 2022, 09:01:24 AM
so watched the game last night, As Johnny said, the Shamrocks kept themselves in the game, St Thomas's will need to know how to manage out a game better, they didn't apply the brakes when they were 3 points up before the penalty or when they went back 2 points up in injury time, of which there was only 3 to see out.

On the penalty he could have gave a free out for charging, as he raised his hurl chest level and threw the head down, the pull down of the helmet happened after, so you blow the first free if he seen it as a free.

As for the last second winner, they had managed both TJ and Colin on the edge of the square the whole game, without any real hassle, panicking at the death undid all the great work, TJ was going out wide, the defender just needed to push him further out and let him try and develop something from a wider position, or foul him 30 yards out, as for the free, the only option Ballyhale had was to go for goal, so 15 men along that line or a line of 2 7's plus the keeper would have provided better cover, I think one player ducked  once it was hit.

Ballygunner for me and by at least 5 points, the first half of the game yesterday was decent enough, though plenty of frees,, second half was poor enough affair until the last 8 minutes of the game

Fennelly was definitely charging but if the defender had of fallen on his back as he was going to do rather than grab the faceguard and pull Fennelly down on top of him then IMO the referee should have given the free out and yes the first foul was the charge which IMO was pretty obvious but alas wasn't given...

Tough on St Thomas' that but the big teams always get the close calls in the heat of battle.

The referee rightly in my mind did blow up a lot of frees for slaps with hurls and hands at faceguards of lads in possession of the ball and TBH Ballyhale were the biggest offenders.  Maybe they're so used to the lax refereeing in Kilkenny, I don't know. It near cost them the game.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on January 25, 2022, 11:06:53 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 25, 2022, 09:01:24 AM
so watched the game last night, As Johnny said, the Shamrocks kept themselves in the game, St Thomas's will need to know how to manage out a game better, they didn't apply the brakes when they were 3 points up before the penalty or when they went back 2 points up in injury time, of which there was only 3 to see out.

On the penalty he could have gave a free out for charging, as he raised his hurl chest level and threw the head down, the pull down of the helmet happened after, so you blow the first free if he seen it as a free.

As for the last second winner, they had managed both TJ and Colin on the edge of the square the whole game, without any real hassle, panicking at the death undid all the great work, TJ was going out wide, the defender just needed to push him further out and let him try and develop something from a wider position, or foul him 30 yards out, as for the free, the only option Ballyhale had was to go for goal, so 15 men along that line or a line of 2 7's plus the keeper would have provided better cover, I think one player ducked  once it was hit.

Ballygunner for me and by at least 5 points, the first half of the game yesterday was decent enough, though plenty of frees,, second half was poor enough affair until the last 8 minutes of the game

Fennelly was definitely charging but if the defender had of fallen on his back as he was going to do rather than grab the faceguard and pull Fennelly down on top of him then IMO the referee should have given the free out and yes the first foul was the charge which IMO was pretty obvious but alas wasn't given...

Tough on St Thomas' that but the big teams always get the close calls in the heat of battle.

The referee rightly in my mind did blow up a lot of frees for slaps with hurls and hands at faceguards of lads in possession of the ball and TBH Ballyhale were the biggest offenders.  Maybe they're so used to the lax refereeing in Kilkenny, I don't know. It near cost them the game.

Outside of frees Cooney doesn't give as much as TJ. But if I was manager I'd have a free taker who doesn't miss on the team all day long!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

He's a full forward I think and not a half forward IMO. TJ just needs constant watching.

imtommygunn

Paudie Maher retired on medical grounds. Neck injury.

That's a major blow to Tipp. I always thought he was a dirty animal lol but even with that you can't take away that he was a fantastic hurler. Lauded on twitter as one of the "all time greats". He definitely was massively influential.

smort

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 01, 2022, 09:18:41 AM

That's a major blow to Tipp. I always thought he was a dirty animal lol but even with that you can't take away that he was a fantastic hurler. Lauded on twitter as one of the "all time greats". He definitely was massively influential.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2022/0201/1277055-tipperarys-padraic-maher-retires-due-to-neck-injury/

tippmaninlaois

Was training last week

Tipp players only made aware of it before it was announced this morning

Finished with club and county

6 all stars
3 all irelands
7 county medals

johnnycool

Quote from: tippmaninlaois on February 01, 2022, 11:41:13 AM
Was training last week

Tipp players only made aware of it before it was announced this morning

Finished with club and county

6 all stars
3 all irelands
7 county medals

Only seeing this now, but he was a bloody good hurler, you'd have him in your team any day of the week, early days he probably didn't play the greatest of balls into the forwards until O'Shea got his hands on him.

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 01, 2022, 09:18:41 AM

Sure, every teams needs that bit of a bite, Kilkenny had plenty of lads able to break the ash off you, but I suppose he'd be remembered for breaking Michael Fennelly's (IIRC) hand....

imtommygunn

KK had a real beef with him I think and they were no angels.

No matter he was a great hurler and one hardy boy. Always thought to beat Tipp you needed to man mark him which says a lot for a half back. (Used to think the same of Crossmaglen and Aaron Kernan)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 01, 2022, 02:29:44 PM

No matter he was a great hurler and one hardy boy. Always thought to beat Tipp you needed to man mark him which says a lot for a half back. (Used to think the same of Crossmaglen and Aaron Kernan)

Top class physical hurler, fielding and sheer determination to get to the ball was up there with the best, would not have liked to be on the same pitch as him never mind him chasing me down for a ball.

As Johnny had mentioned his distribution was hail Mary clearances but he refined it and eventually moving into the full back line where he was able to reduce the goal threats.

Probably the only regret (3 all irelands and the rest lol) will be the not winning a club all Ireland with that squad of players they had coming through Sarsfileds,
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 01, 2022, 02:55:57 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on February 01, 2022, 02:29:44 PM

Top class physical hurler, fielding and sheer determination to get to the ball was up there with the best, would not have liked to be on the same pitch as him never mind him chasing me down for a ball.

As Johnny had mentioned his distribution was hail Mary clearances but he refined it and eventually moving into the full back line where he was able to reduce the goal threats.

Probably the only regret (3 all irelands and the rest lol) will be the not winning a club all Ireland with that squad of players they had coming through Sarsfileds,

He's an earlier spell in the No 3 jersey which didn't go well as the middle O'Hailpin caused him bother with his sheer height and so did Cussons who was a limited enough hurler but strong in the air.
Tipp then got a load of joy from him hurling in the half back line again once he was moved out.

In latter years he was moved back in but ultimately I think he was a better half back throughout his career.

Kilkenny not liking you is a badge of honour in Tipp, he'd be proud of that.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/colm-bonnar-if-i-was-worried-about-pressure-i-wouldn-t-have-taken-on-this-role-1.4791336
"He has been such a leader, a warrior, he always stood up," says Bonnar. "He was a colossal man in terms of being under the high ball. His power under that high ball always amazed me. I remember one of the games at full back he was marking Henry Shefflin, and he was just pulling ball out of the air for sport. What a skill that is in the game."

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/colm-bonnar-if-i-was-worried-about-pressure-i-wouldn-t-have-taken-on-this-role-1.4791336

Did he ever reflect on the pressure of having to rebuild a team while at the same time not falling off the competitive standard demanded by a county with Tipperary's traditions?
"No, I never mentioned pressure. If I was worried about pressure, I wouldn't have taken on this role. This is a challenge. I love being a Tipperary man and putting on that jersey is part of my DNA. Going up to Tipperary [from where he lives in Waterford] just feels so much like home to me. No, I'm not bothered.
"This might look easy to say but pressure doesn't come into my head in terms of what we are doing. I'm just trying to build those connections with the players, trying to develop a team and bring it as far as I can – wherever that is – once I know I'm getting the best from the players and the support we're offering them is the best, and we're getting the reaction.
"If I start focusing on results or start focusing on having to win an All-Ireland, then yeah I'm going to add huge pressure on myself, but also on the team. It's a work in progress and I'm excited to see where this journey is going to end."

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on February 02, 2022, 10:15:00 AM

Did he ever reflect on the pressure of having to rebuild a team while at the same time not falling off the competitive standard demanded by a county with Tipperary's traditions?
"No, I never mentioned pressure. If I was worried about pressure, I wouldn't have taken on this role. This is a challenge. I love being a Tipperary man and putting on that jersey is part of my DNA. Going up to Tipperary [from where he lives in Waterford] just feels so much like home to me. No, I'm not bothered.
"This might look easy to say but pressure doesn't come into my head in terms of what we are doing. I'm just trying to build those connections with the players, trying to develop a team and bring it as far as I can – wherever that is – once I know I'm getting the best from the players and the support we're offering them is the best, and we're getting the reaction.
"If I start focusing on results or start focusing on having to win an All-Ireland, then yeah I'm going to add huge pressure on myself, but also on the team. It's a work in progress and I'm excited to see where this journey is going to end."

I don't think anyone in Tipp questions the need for a rebuild but the amount of grace that Bonnar gets will depend on how far they fall, if at all.

Getting beat by Cork or maybe Waterford by a small margin whilst blooding new players can probably be tolerated, but if the Clares and Wexfords and even the Dubs start beating them in qualifiers then questions may be asked.

imtommygunn

Not sure about Cork as they are very poor at the minute I think and have lost a few. They'll be ahead of Wexford and Clare I suspect no matter what.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on February 02, 2022, 12:03:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 02, 2022, 10:15:00 AM

I don't think anyone in Tipp questions the need for a rebuild but the amount of grace that Bonnar gets will depend on how far they fall, if at all.

Getting beat by Cork or maybe Waterford by a small margin whilst blooding new players can probably be tolerated, but if the Clares and Wexfords and even the Dubs start beating them in qualifiers then questions may be asked.
They probably won't be expecting to dethrone Limerick for the next 2 seasons. The big prizes are afterwards.