GAA Discussion > GAA Discussion

Cowardly criticism of players

(1/7) > >>

sligoman2:
GAA President Larry McCarthy has added his voice to the criticism of those who harshly criticize players.  I agree that a lot of the abuse has been over the top and excessive, what's the general feeling out there on this subject?
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0921/1248112-gaa-unhappy-with-cowardly-assessment-of-players/

Milltown Row2:

--- Quote from: sligoman2 on September 21, 2021, 02:28:05 PM ---GAA President Larry McCarthy has added his voice to the criticism of those who harshly criticize players.  I agree that a lot of the abuse has been over the top and excessive, what's the general feeling out there on this subject?
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0921/1248112-gaa-unhappy-with-cowardly-assessment-of-players/

--- End quote ---

These threads are loaded with these comments, so you'll not get too many on here agreeing with the GAA President

Armagh18:
Obviously Aidan OShea being the main target and some of it has been totally over the top. Anytime you hear anything from him he comes across as an absolute gentleman and anyone I know that has met him had said the same. He obviously was poor in the semi and final, nobody including himself would deny it.

And that article of him running topless on the beach that came out after the Dublin game, I looked at it and thought is he actually for real, not a chance I would let that come out in the build up to a final. That all being said, the lad gives his all for his county and has done for years, really hope himself and Keegan get the medal they deserve.

When all is said and done, he and all his teammates are amateur athletes that make huge sacrifices each year for their county. 

J70:
Id add referees too.

Hound:
While social media can be a cesspit, this is squarely directed at mainstream media's criticism of Aidan O'Shea, in particular the Joe Brolly rant in whatever paper he wrote it.

Players who take advantage of media attention to build their own profile are also building a rod for their own backs when things don't go well on the pitch.

Dublin in the Lyons and Caffrey years embraced the hype, but got pilliored for it every year when Sam wasn't won. Although at least they were all on the hype-train together and the abuse was shared around!

In recent years, you could probably compare AOS to Bernard Brogan in terms of media attention, but Bernard was lucky enough to have success follow him so didnt have much personal abuse to deal with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version