Laois ACFL Division 1A 2021

Started by SCFC, June 22, 2021, 08:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

I have a lot of time for Sugrue, but he left us when we were making small strides, and we've fallen off a cliff since. There isn't much to come back to in my opinion, and the standard is woeful. We live in our own little world in Laois, proclaiming players who look good against average players, only to be badly found out in the county jersey.

For the above reasons, I'd be happy to take Sugrue back, but not in the Senior role. This county nerds direction, because there's zilch right now. We just keep doing the same things badly and end up scratching our heads. Our players are physically and mentally weak as a result of being under prepared all along the grades. That rot has to stop and maybe Sugrue could contribute to that. He's not a magician so he certainly won't make what's out there now a top team, because let's face it, we don't have the players. It would be typical of the CB to try and get Sugrue because it's popular, their desperate and they want to save their own arses. But we need to be a bit more measured than that. We can't just keep planning for the short term, or plugging the gap with what looks like the right fix. I'd be happy to see Sugrue back, and I trust him enough to steer us in the right direction overall, maybe as Head of Development. Our next Senior Coach will be on a real hiding to nothing, and Id hate to see Sugrue walk away after a disappointing 2 year stint. He has more to offer than that.

Silkyskillssunshinee

ACFL Division 1A Semi-final

Graiguecullen 0-9 Portlaoise 4-14

That result wouldn't exactly breed confidence for Graiguecullen going into the Senior semi-finals in a couple of weeks time. Looks very much like Portarlington's championship to lose now..

portlaoisekid

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on July 22, 2021, 11:43:55 PM

That result wouldn't exactly breed confidence for Graiguecullen going into the Senior semi-finals in a couple of weeks time. Looks very much like Portarlington's championship to lose now..
Always was, clearly the best team left. They will win each game at a canter.

SCFC

Ballyroan Abbey beat O'Dempseys last night by around 5 points and Courtwood beat Ballylinan by around 10 points today.

The PRO

Quote from: portlaoisekid on July 23, 2021, 10:17:34 AM
Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on July 22, 2021, 11:43:55 PM

Always was, clearly the best team left. They will win each game at a canter.
Wrong thread I know but I expect Port to beat Ballyfin and Emo to beat Graigue and I can guarantee you Port would not have it easy against Emo.

Laoiseabu

The last few weeks I've went around and had a look at a number of club football matches in Laois . From what I can see myself it appears Portarlington and Portlaoise are miles ahead of the chasing pack and they are in a league of their own . They have the best spread of players and the most strength in depth. I reckon Joseph's could be the 3rd best but they were comfortable beaten by an understrength Portarlington at the weekend . Portarlington should comfortably win the 2020 championship and I think they could give Ballyfin a big beating in two weeks . I expect the 2021 championship to be a two horse race between themselves and Portlaoise. A number of the other clubs seem to be struggling and it really is hard to pick out players to make an impact at senior intercounty level with a lot of the clubs .

Silkyskillssunshinee

Portarlington with another very good win tonight. Didn't start at full strength yet were eight points up at half time. Portlaoise miss Bruno's presence up front a lot. They're not as feared without him.

Hard to see Portarlington being bet in the 2021 championship but maybe Portlaoise will find a way to up it a few gears. Aside from the top two, Ballyroan have a few nice young players and they could be 3rd best, but might be a year or two early for them yet.

town1980

Disappointed on tonight's result but the best team and panel of course won jeez port on paper from the final were severely under strength and yet powered home  some serious serious talent in there ranks ,,,, I just don't know if we are clicking under Kevin but our Bruno threat and subs bench are not what they were either,,Kieran getting older Boyler macca when these lads go we might be in for lean times ,,anyone can go into that top three I think ,,sorry for the  late reply night duty :)

portlaoisekid

I thought it was an interesting match, both teams changed quite a bit from their first 15 (more so Port) and that added to it being played at a slow enough pace without any real championship intensity. First half was cagey enough stuff and the goals were killers, Port shut up shop at half time and it was game over. The wide count killed Portlaoise.

One thing that struck me last night is how well coached Port are , their manager has them in some order and provided a superb defensive performance.

There is more to come from both teams and for the first time in many years we have two teams whose year will be a total underachievement if they dont win the county title and thats a good thing for the championship.

Butch Cassidy

Big win for Port considering how little they would have trained since the county final and the celebrations that would have happened. It will give them a big boost going into the championship to get one over their main rivals.

Portlaoise kid, what are the new generation of Portlaoise players like? Any of last night that you could see stepping up to the Laois setup?

portlaoisekid

Quote from: Butch Cassidy on August 25, 2021, 12:39:53 PM
Big win for Port considering how little they would have trained since the county final and the celebrations that would have happened. It will give them a big boost going into the championship to get one over their main rivals.

Portlaoise kid, what are the new generation of Portlaoise players like? Any of last night that you could see stepping up to the Laois setup?
Yeah I be happy with the new bunch,  I would expect  a good few of them to nail down starting spots with Portlaoise and become very good players, where they go from there time will tell but I'd be disappointed if a few of them were not in or around the Laois senior panel in the next few years.

SCFC

Quote from: portlaoisekid on August 26, 2021, 11:07:09 AM
Quote from: Butch Cassidy on August 25, 2021, 12:39:53 PM

Yeah I be happy with the new bunch,  I would expect  a good few of them to nail down starting spots with Portlaoise and become very good players, where they go from there time will tell but I'd be disappointed if a few of them were not in or around the Laois senior panel in the next few years.
Saunders looks to be a fine player - is it the case that he was asked on to the senior panel but didn't want to commit?