Nicky Rackard Cup 2008

Started by Lecale2, April 20, 2007, 01:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

At Congress last weekend it was agreed to allow a team representing South Dublin and a team representing Down clubs outside the Ards to enter the Nicky Rachard Cup in 2008. This is good news for Down hurling. The Down Juniors have been struggling for meaningful competition since the All Ireland Junuior Hurling competition was abolished a few years ago. If they are to compete in the Nicky Rachard they'll need a more professional approach than I've seen in recent years.

How will the South Dublin team be selected?

Hoganstand:

Bell likes the sound of Rackard Cup gesture
20 April 2007

Down Hurling Board Chairman Kevin Bell has described Congress's decision to admit the Mourne County's junior hurling team to the 2008 Nicky Rackard Cup as a "major breakthrough" for the game in the county.

"This is a major breakthrough for Down hurling," said a delighted Bell.

"It is the ambition of Down hurlers to compete with the top teams in Ireland.

"To do that we need to increase the number of our senior hurling clubs from three to at least six.

"Playing in the Nicky Rackard Cup competition will help us achieve that."

An Cloch Scoilte

This is obviously a step forward for the Down Juniors. It will give the players something to play for and will increase the numbers in the Nicky Rackard competition which is good for Hurling in general!!
Good move by Central Council!!

tayto

The South Dublin team will be selected from anyone not included in the Dublin senior panel. Obviously only those from south Dublin clubs, think North Dublin is being formed the year after. Will be interesting to see how they fare.

I don't understand why it's just Dublin and Down. Why not a Cork city team? Cork County team? Kilkenny North and South? Surely they'd be more competitive then a Dublin and Down second string ....

No1

Lecale, the juniors are a shambles.  They were literally picking boys out of the crowd last year, just ask your clubmate Charlie!  

They would be safer getting the club league structures and fixtures sorted out instead of wasting time, money and energy on this load of shite.  

The senior squad needs more than enough help as far as I am concerned.

In my view they are giving themselves one more problem when they have more pressing matters to attend to.

slow corner back

I have to disagree with you No1. A few years back two of my clubs players got onto the antrim junior team and really enjoyed themselves. While it is a million miles from senior hurling at least it is a competitive level. How many games a season does a castlewellan hurler get in the down leagues and how good is the standard???

mightysaffrons

thats the whole point tatyo make the "lesser teams" more competitive why do cork and kilkenny need to improve their hurling is what everyone is striving towards!!

Colonel Cool

No 1 is correct about the Down Juniors being a shambles but hopefully, as Lecale says,  entering this competition will lead to a more professional approach. The Down Juniors beat Warwickshire 3-20 to 1-04 yesterday in the Leinster Sheild. They play Longford next week. The opportunity to play in Croke Park will act as a major incentive for hurlers outside the Ards and will encourage them to put the effort in.

Why was just Down & Dublin allowed to do this?

No 1 is also correct about the problems in Down hurling. The ACHL have got off to a really bad start with teams travelling half way across the county only for games not to be played. They need to considering playing 13 a side in the league to keep Liatroim, Ballela and Ballyvarley going - they are all struggling for numbers.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

Gnevin

Their was talk of europe entering a team , anything ever come of that?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.