Co-operation appreciated

Started by The Bottom Brick, January 19, 2007, 08:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What level of knowledge do you have of handball?

Played the game a little
24 (30.8%)
Played the game competitively
14 (17.9%)
Heard about it but don't know much
21 (26.9%)
Know practically nothing
13 (16.7%)
Just know people who play it
6 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 74

magpie seanie

Never played and never had the opportunity to. I'd be very supportive of moves to promote the game. Handball alleys are multi purpose for GAA clubs as lads can use them to improve their catching for football and their stickwork for hurling. We must look into putting one up.

Handball Ace

You're right, the publicity isn't there but there is a new full time Promotions Offcier starting work in April which should help.

No offence at all Seanie, but 95% of GAA supporters pay lip service to handball, everyone says they are supportive but when it comes to the crunch, how many clubs really promote the game?

Lynchbhoy, how about 10-11 February in Kingscourt? The biggest handball tournament of all time. The top ten in the world will be there, and in the quarter finals you should get to see Eoin Kennedy take on Californian Emmett Peixoto in what could be the match of the tournament.

That game will be round 2.30 on Saturday 10 Feb.

What do you reckon? Go once and I promise you'll be hooked. This event will have official programmes, big screen, the works...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Handball Ace on January 22, 2007, 02:43:33 PM
You're right, the publicity isn't there but there is a new full time Promotions Offcier starting work in April which should help.

No offence at all Seanie, but 95% of GAA supporters pay lip service to handball, everyone says they are supportive but when it comes to the crunch, how many clubs really promote the game?

Lynchbhoy, how about 10-11 February in Kingscourt? The biggest handball tournament of all time. The top ten in the world will be there, and in the quarter finals you should get to see Eoin Kennedy take on Californian Emmett Peixoto in what could be the match of the tournament.

That game will be round 2.30 on Saturday 10 Feb.

What do you reckon? Go once and I promise you'll be hooked. This event will have official programmes, big screen, the works...

Have to say that from a sporting perspective, this sounds good - it certainly needs to be publicised more though

the best players in the world are playing off in Kingscourt (apt choice for the name alone) but this is the first I have heard of it...

I coul dbe on holidays, but if not, you never know.
(but I havent the time to get hooked on it one way or another)

magpie seanie

QuoteNo offence at all Seanie, but 95% of GAA supporters pay lip service to handball, everyone says they are supportive but when it comes to the crunch, how many clubs really promote the game?

Why not put them to the test by coming up with a way of promoting the games through clubs and schools. We don't promote it cos we've never had it but we never had hurling until 10 years ago and now we're the tops at underage and are fielding at adult level too.

Rollout

Handball has been neglected by its top officials for so long. This tournament in kingscourt is the most innovative thing to happen to the sport in years. It has been in several national and local papers over the last couple of weeks. Keep an eye out in the next week or so too. There'll be a lot more coverage.

In my experience it doesn't take much to get hooked on the game snd its a game for life. There are actually over 80 grades at the us nationals!!!! and they're competitive too!!
http://cavan.handball.gaa.ie

The Ulster Handball Open 2007

Handball Ace

I appreciate your point Seanie.

You should come to the M Donnelly Ulster Open, it'll be amazing.

Will give you an idea of the potential for the sport. If anyone can't make it, or couldnt be arsed, it will be shown on Setanta and there will be updates on RTE radio