Daniel Davey

Started by irunthev, December 14, 2006, 10:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

Some of you Sligo guys and maybe a few who have been to UCD, will know of a player called Daniel Davey.

Unfortunatley Daniel broke his leg on Sunday in the last minute of a game when playing for Round Towers in the Division 2 League Final in London.

Daniel is studying for his Masters in Bristol and was travelling up and down to London each weekend to play for Round Towers.

He had also been called up to the London National League panel and was travelling up one night a week for training.

The break was sustained when his foot appeared to get stuck in the ground and his body twisted the other way. There was no malice involved in the incident.

Let's hope he makes a full recovery.

Lone Shark

Was chatting to him briefly a few nights ago. He seemed in fairly good form, which is fair play to the man as this is a bollix of a thing to happen to anyone, never mind a county player or this near to Christmas. Surgery went well, and if everything goes well he should be back playing ball in 5/6 months.

He played great stuff for us on Sunday too - scored one incredible point from way out on the right hand side on a day when scoring wasn't easy. All the best to the lad certainly.

irunthev

Right enough, that was a great point he scored, almost as good as Mr Foody's two 21 yard frees :D

Lone Shark

I will confess to having enjoyed those all right. The second one in particular really let us off the hook - it would have tied things up after us having led since the goal. I'd love to think we'd have gone on and won anyway, but you never know. We're nice guys though - I'm pretty sure John McCoy (centre back) went out of his way to have a consoling word with him after the misses ....  :D

magpie seanie

I know of him and he's defo a talented forward. Seems the injury curse that hit his home club this season has followed him across the water. Hope he's back to full health shortly.

irunthev

I'm pleased for Chris Lloyd, he is a real decent fella and you have a few home bred lads there too, like Paul O'Donoghue, Timmy D and Gary Mc. Was Murtagh not about on Sunday, I didn't see him or maybe I am just going blind?

Lone Shark

He went to Australia there about six weeks ago. Don't know if he would have been playing anyway - he chopped half his finger off working there before he went. Should be back next year, and if the likes of Dan Davey gets back to himself, the lads could do well. Played Brendan's twice this year - they beat us by four in the championship but had us out of sight at half time, but in the Tipperary Cup we could have had them. There's an optimism there anyway.

The only player definitely going to be lost is Eamon O'Sullivan - the wing back. I'd say everyone else will be staying on. Of the 17 that played, 10 were London born, and most of the rest are long term settled. Few good young lads coming up too.

stephenite

Is that Colm Foody from Bonniconlon in Mayo you're talking about?

irunthev

The self same legend indeed. His powers are on the wane at present, at a rapid rate of knots

stephenite

Went to school with him, nice fella , complete header mind you. Great skillful player in his day

irunthev

His day is gone I am afraid. Hasn't trained much all year although he managed to make the London team that played Mayo, but I think that little incentive drove him on early in the year and once he had achieved that, he sat back and done little or nothing.

Two years ago against Crossmaglen in the Al Ireland series he was the best player on the field by fair, but he has never hit those heights since. Like so many talented footballers his lack of consistency is a problem.

A good game every three years isn't exactly what great reputatiosn are built on and if you can't shine in London then really you aren't much of a footballer.

Owenmoresider

Might as well point out that Daniel has been rather injury-prone, and IIRC broke his other leg before. Might have had cruciate problems too, God knows enough in his club have, it was almost a weekly event for Mullinabreena lads to get cruciate operations done a month or two ago!

kerryforsam16

Is the nutrition coach for Dublin?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: kerryforsam16 on July 20, 2016, 12:50:18 AM

Same fellow, performance nutritionist, does the same job for Leinster Rugby. Makes no difference though in the bigger picture having these top class professionals working with your team.
#newbridgeornowhere

heffo

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2016, 09:05:24 AM
Quote from: kerryforsam16 on July 20, 2016, 12:50:18 AM

Same fellow, performance nutritionist, does the same job for Leinster Rugby. Makes no difference though in the bigger picture having these top class professionals working with your team.

It certainly made a difference for Kildare having the highly rated Cian O'Neill in their games v the giants of Clare & Westmeath.

Then again Kildare are being all that they can be.