Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 05, 2020, 08:39:12 PM
Breaffy 0-15 Westport 0-13

Breaffy won't ever have as good a chance of winning a county title.

Think Seamie O'Se is going for the 3 county titles with Breaffy!

Think he won junior as a 17 year old. Intermediate as a 19 year old. Could be imagining this?

Farrandeelin

Don't think many would have predicted this year's final at the beginning of the year.  :)

Didn't see the game on mayogaatv but it seems Knockmore's transition from defence to attack was the main difference today from the radio.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 02, 2020, 08:36:13 PM
Was just looking at the roll of honour there, mad to think that both Lacken (1917) and Ballycastle (1936, 37 & 39) have county titles considering where they are now.
That wouldn't be unusual if you looked across the various counties, especially when you go back to the first 30/40 years before things largely settled down. Indeed over here we won our junior semi final today, the two teams involved had dominated the 60's and early 70's at senior level winning about 12/15 senior titles, but both are a long way from that now.

Interestingly when you look at the Mayo roll of honour, aside from the big two towns at the top, all the teams that follow them on the list won most if not all their titles in a certain period of time, even if the Knockmore period is rather extended, but still all largely within a generation. Ballintubber might win another title or two in the years to come but it's not impossible to think that they wouldn't go the same way as the Cross's and the Garrymore's eventually, as this crop of players fade away.

What is mad though is to think that Lacken were in a senior final in the mid 1980's. Now that fall was hard. Though Shrule will have some sympathy for them on that front too.

macdanger2

Great win today, probably should have been out of sight by ht. If Murray hadn't got a black, Ballina could have reeled us in.

Interesting that the results from the group games were turned over in the semi finals.

Breaffy will be tough in the final

Crete Boom

Well done to the noisy neighbors. Really were the better team all over the pitch and we weren't really as close as the score suggests. McLoughlin was brilliant and we couldn't lay a glove on him. Naughton started well by was quiet after Swanny went back on him. Stadler did a great job on Evan Regan and our half forward line was wiped out by the Knockmore half back line.
Apart from Swanny the only other Stephenites player that can hold his head high is Clarkie ( who is having a great season), made a couple of great saves to stop this being a real beating.
I really hope Horan gives Orme and King a go in the Mayo team sooner rather than later.

Farrandeelin

Fair play to Balla, nobody gave them a chance. Kilti will be kicking themselves according to reports.

Kilmaine finally got over the line at junior level.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 19, 2020, 09:34:59 PM
Fair play to Balla, nobody gave them a chance. Kilti will be kicking themselves according to reports.

And we're back at last

Great second half, their tackling was immense, Darren McHale my MOTM
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 20, 2020, 05:31:43 PM

And we're back at last

Mighty 2nd half. Despite playing poorly in the 1st half there was only 2 in it. McHale was brilliant, think he got the motm. He was walking with a plaque anyway so it must be what it was.

Delighted for all the lads who put so much into it. Ballintubber,  Ballina and Breaffy today. Can't say they didn't deserve it.

joemamas

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 20, 2020, 06:01:56 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 20, 2020, 05:31:43 PM

And we're back at last

Mighty 2nd half. Despite playing poorly in the 1st half there was only 2 in it. McHale was brilliant, think he got the motm. He was walking with a plaque anyway so it must be what it was.

Delighted for all the lads who put so much into it. Ballintubber,  Ballina and Breaffy today. Can't say they didn't deserve it.

Congrats Farr.
They were a better balanced team and played like one.
I really cannot remember more than one or two times where Breaffy put two or more passes together and got a score.
Feel for AOS.

macdanger2

Great win, great 2nd half performance when it wasn't looking great at ht

ballinaman

Well done Knockmore, deserving winners !

From the Bunker

Well done to Knockmore. And Congrats to the Knockmore lads on this forum.

Tradition is always hard to beat in Gaelic football.

You'd have to think that that was Breaffy's big chance. But you never know!

This competition will be wide open again next year. It's just will they have the hunger?

Question: Where Balla playing Junior B only a few years ago?

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 20, 2020, 09:18:31 PM
Well done to Knockmore. And Congrats to the Knockmore lads on this forum.

Tradition is always hard to beat in Gaelic football.

You'd have to think that that was Breaffy's big chance. But you never know!

This competition will be wide open again next year. It's just will they have the hunger?

Question: Where Balla playing Junior B only a few years ago?

Ger Flanagan was on the Mayo news podcast saying his first game for Balla was a Div 6 league game against Ballycroy
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Lar Naparka

Congratulations to Knockmore! They certainly won the hard way. With 20 minutes gone, I felt Breaffy had their hands on the cup and would win pulling up but it took tremendous character and determination to reel them in and Knockmore did that in style. I've been a big Kevin Mac fan for years and was very happy to see him win a county medal at last.
I felt sorry for the Breaffy lads but there could only be one winner and I think the better team won.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

fearsiuil

Quote from: Owenmoresider on January 24, 2008, 06:57:48 PM
Lads, anyone know what the story is with Balla, are they going to fold up? Heard that they were in a bit of bother numbers-wise, and Costello is off to one of the clubs here. Quite a fall for county finalists of not so long ago, if it's the case.