Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: 6th sam on December 28, 2020, 08:35:42 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on December 28, 2020, 06:04:54 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on December 28, 2020, 03:44:04 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on December 28, 2020, 03:08:13 PM
Has any county approached Dublin and looked at at what they've done and implementing it in their own county?

John Costello has said on multiple occasions dubs are happy to show any county how they do things. I'd imagine the number of county boards who have taken up this offer is the same as the county boards who accepted Dublin's offer of assistance with their commercial activities - 0.

Wicklow are an exception in Leinster. They have started really good underage projects in Leinster, but they are starting off from a low base, but at least they have a plan/vision for the future.

If counties won't help themselves and people obsess over splitting/weakening Dublin then they need to look re-examine their priorities

All we need up in Tyrone is for Stormont to attract dozens of multinationals and have then set up tens of thousands of jobs in Omagh, maybe investing in even a single train station or other infrastructure, leading to a dramatic increase in the population.

Tyrone have their centre of excellence. That's a great starting base. How many other counties can compete with that?

With respect dublin7 , can u suggest addressing the areas of bias / advantage towards Dublin in my previous email. Ironically this debate has got sidetracked because of the suggestion of splitting Dublin ( which I feel could bring the GAA in Dublin and overall to unparalleled success). I can understand why Dubliners don't want a split and I would say that it is at least 5 years off. Unfortunately for Dublin Their dominance has created a "them and us". Kerry had the same issue in the 80s. The population is viewed as the single biggest factor and it's an ever increasing advantage due to population growth in the capital. The only way of redressing that Imbalance is splitting Dublin. However , There would be so much anger , disruption and logistical challenges with this, that it is unlikely to happen soon. In the meantime however , Dublin could reverse the current  "them and us", by magnanimously working with the GaA in giving up all other unfair advantages. The following ultimately will develop the GAA as a whole and bring teams up to Dublin's level, thus quietening the clamour for splitting  Dublin:

Dublin will need to fund and maintain their own stadium and pay pro-rata for Croke Park in the meantime. To redress years of imbalance they should agree Away games for all championship fixtures until Ai semi-finals. Agreed portion of sponsorship funding sent to Croke park for distribution to other counties . Cap on county team budget ( allowing for travel ). Cap on player perks . Agree to dual provincial/NFL route to AI qualification. Help other counties learn from Dublin examples of best practice .
The big incentive for Dublin is that 1. All the above are equitable and takes away most of them accusations of unfairness . 2. If all the above occur it may be enough to raise standards and tighten the competition to an extent that we get back to pre-2011 when nobody was talking about splitting Dublin,

No genuine Dublin GAels would disagree with the above , because they know their current success is devalued , and genuine superstars aren't getting the credit they deserve.
If Dublin don't drive these changes quickly , they are signing their own death warrant , as non-Dub gaels will insist on splitting Dublin, if Dublin's other unfair advantages aren't addressed. If Dublin can do this and in addition , prove that Croke Park investment has improved GAA in Dublin and nationally , I feel that the goodwill created could save Dublin as a single county team.

Dublin will always have advantages. That's life. Just like Mayo will always have advantages over Leitrim and Kerry will have advantages over Clare. How does splitting Dublin help Waterford or Antrim?

I have to laugh at the idea Dublin should be split and everything in the football championship will be great again. It devalues the Dublin jersey, will be of no interest to Dublin fans and more importantly who is going to pay for the new stadiums for both sides?

PuC cost about €96m and that was just for the stadium. They already had the land. How much do you think it would cost to buy the land and build the stadiums needed for both counties? I'd say you're looking at €200m at least. Who's paying for that? Dubs sponsors aren't payng all that so that means funding from central coffers. Given all the abuse Dublin are getting for their current funding I can only imagine the hysterics if they were to get more to build stadiums in or around the capital. Poor Joe Duffy would see his phone lines go into meltdown.

If Dublin should be split is such a great idea why is smaller counties merging being ridiculed? I'm sure the thoughts of playing for north/south Dublin are about as appealing as playing for a combined Sligo/Leitrim selection.

Dublin fans (shock horror) don't give a s**t about some so called goodwill nonsense from other counties. Dublin were never popular even when they weren't winning.  They were figures of fun to the likes of Kerry, Tyrone etc. who regularly battered them. Kerry in particular would patronise Dublin about Dublin/Kerry being great contests as they new they always won.  Now the dubs are the greatest ever team and no one likes them is a badge of honour. As Marc O'Se says, he longs for the day Kerry will be hated again like Dublin are now. Any Dublin fans I know remember the mid 90s and 00s when dubs suffered some humiliating defeats know watching this era is a privilege and we aren't getting tired of it. Watching the likes of Fenton and Kilkenny is like watching Messi/Ronaldo. Watching the some of the best ever to play the game at their peak in an amazing side never gets boring.

Eoin Murchan summed it up well when interviewed meeting the kids in Temple street just before Christmas. It was nice to be able to do something and be appreciated for
it as they can't do anything right for some people.

If people want to start a petition to split Dublin so Kerry/Tyrone think they'll win the All Ireland (Mayo will still find ways to lose AI finals) fire away.

dublin7

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 28, 2020, 10:10:54 PM
Not going to quote above but where Dublin 7 did 6th Sam talk about a split?

Are you reading quotes you are replying to? Or are you trying to confuse the debate with out of context replys?

So you're saying no one wants to split Dublin? That's odd. Must be getting paranoid.

As I see it the likes of yourself want Dublin stopped as they're too good. I find it bizarre and like a spoilt child screaming for not getting what he/she wants.

Tiger Woods dominated golf, Patriots dominated American Football, Man Utd dominated the premier league. These eras all ended (just like this era of dubs domination will) and the opposition strived to reach the standards set. Strange how Dublin do so poorly in minor football but no one mentions that and let's not even mention the hurling side.

The dubs are the best because of their ability, focus, mental strength and sheer hard work on their skills. They also have more on field leaders than any other team in the country. Ignorant accusations of financial doping for funding put into training kids in schools/clubs is just stupid and irrelevant.

Take this years AI final. Mayo scored their 14th point in the 49 min. They scored one more point in the rest of the game and some of their attempts on goal were embarrassing. No leadership from the veterans on the pitch and if anything it was the younger players leading the way. Several times over the last decade Mayo had Dublin on the ropes , but they couldn't deliver the knock out blow as they didn't have the belief/conviction at the key moments or shot themselves in the foot with crazy self inflicted mistakes.

Mayo were wide open in defence down the middle against Tipp in the semi final and what happens in the 1st play of the final? McCarthy runs right down the middle to set up Rock for a goal.

All this talk of population is hypocritical as well. Cork have more clubs and registered senior players than Dublin, yet they spent this year in division 3 in the league and were well beaten by Tipperary in the Munster final. They should be dominant in both football/hurling of it's just a numbers game but their county board seems to have been so focused on PuC they ignored what was going on in terms of on field matters and they as far away from even challenging for an All Ireland in either code as they've ever been. How's that Dublin's fault?

armaghniac

Quote from: dublin7
I have to laugh at the idea Dublin should be split and everything in the football championship will be great again. It devalues the Dublin jersey, will be of no interest to Dublin fans and more importantly who is going to pay for the new stadiums for both sides?

the subdivisions of Dublin could pay for them, given that they would still among the biggest units in the GAA. How do you think every other county paid for them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

dublin7

Quote from: armaghniac on December 28, 2020, 10:41:54 PM

the subdivisions of Dublin could pay for them, given that they would still among the biggest units in the GAA. How do you think every other county paid for them.

You think the dubs have €200m just resting in their bank accounts waiting to be spent?

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on December 28, 2020, 10:48:40 PM

You think the dubs have €200m just resting in their bank accounts waiting to be spent?

Well you will just have to work harder!

armaghniac

Dubliners have, go out and fund raise.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Lar Naparka

Quote from: dublin7 on December 28, 2020, 10:39:37 PM

Are you reading quotes you are replying to? Or are you trying to confuse the debate with out of context replys?

So you're saying no one wants to split Dublin? That's odd. Must be getting paranoid.

As I see it the likes of yourself want Dublin stopped as they're too good. I find it bizarre and like a spoilt child screaming for not getting what he/she wants.

Tiger Woods dominated golf, Patriots dominated American Football, Man Utd dominated the premier league. These eras all ended (just like this era of dubs domination will) and the opposition strived to reach the standards set. Strange how Dublin do so poorly in minor football but no one mentions that and let's not even mention the hurling side.

The dubs are the best because of their ability, focus, mental strength and sheer hard work on their skills. They also have more on field leaders than any other team in the country. Ignorant accusations of financial doping for funding put into training kids in schools/clubs is just stupid and irrelevant.

Take this years AI final. Mayo scored their 14th point in the 49 min. They scored one more point in the rest of the game and some of their attempts on goal were embarrassing. No leadership from the veterans on the pitch and if anything it was the younger players leading the way. Several times over the last decade Mayo had Dublin on the ropes , but they couldn't deliver the knock out blow as they didn't have the belief/conviction at the key moments or shot themselves in the foot with crazy self inflicted mistakes.

Mayo were wide open in defence down the middle against Tipp in the semi final and what happens in the 1st play of the final? McCarthy runs right down the middle to set up Rock for a goal.

All this talk of population is hypocritical as well. Cork have more clubs and registered senior players than Dublin, yet they spent this year in division 3 in the league and were well beaten by Tipperary in the Munster final. They should be dominant in both football/hurling of it's just a numbers game but their county board seems to have been so focused on PuC they ignored what was going on in terms of on field matters and they as far away from even challenging for an All Ireland in either code as they've ever been. How's that Dublin's fault?
TBH, that's a bit hypocritical as well.
Cork is a hurling county- same as every other Munster county except Kerry. Cork footballers continually moan about their lack of funding and support from their CB. IIRC, they went on strike a few years back toi highlight their grievances.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

MayoBuck

Dublin have bought sites in holystown and spawell over the last few years. They probably cost 25-30 million between them.

Estimates here are that a stadium on the spawell site would be 45m. I think that's a reasonable investment for a county of Dublin's wealth. It would at least remove the Croke Park advantage.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/dublin-gaa-scrap-plans-spawell-13523171

MayoBuck

Quote from: dublin7 on December 28, 2020, 10:00:57 PM
Dublin will always have advantages. That's life. Just like Mayo will always have advantages over Leitrim and Kerry will have advantages over Clare. How does splitting Dublin help Waterford or Antrim?

As you're well aware, Leitrim don't always play Mayo away from home. Our game this year was in Carrick on Shannon. Leitrim also receive more games development money per capita than Mayo. So it's not at all comparable to Dublin's advantages.

dublin7

Quote from: MayoBuck on December 28, 2020, 11:19:27 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on December 28, 2020, 10:00:57 PM

As you're well aware, Leitrim don't always play Mayo away from home. Our game this year was in Carrick on Shannon. Leitrim also receive more games development money per capita than Mayo. So it's not at all comparable to Dublin's advantages.

Leitrim could play Mayo in a ploughed field and it wouldn't make a difference. Mayo have advantages that Leitrim can't compete with. That's just the way it is. Most people don't care about that though. They're just obsessed with Dublin and hate to see them so successful.

Another area that has seen significant gains in Dublin that no one mentioned over the last few years is the memorabilia market. The amount of quality products with 5 in a row and now 6 in a row  on them is yet another example of brilliant Dublin initiatives. Dublin fans really are showing some brilliant marketing and business acumen.

For Christmas I got garden gnomes in Dublin Jersies for the garden for example and plaques to commemorate the 5 and 6 in a row.

Angelo

Maybe they will have to work as hard as other counties do then.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

dublin7

Quote from: Angelo on December 29, 2020, 02:52:08 PM

Maybe they will have to work as hard as other counties do then.

Dublin are always looking to improve both on and off the pitch. That's one of the reasons they are so successful.

I mean not all counties are as fortunate as Tyrone. All the advantages they have with their centre of excellence and funding from Club Tyrone.

Good for them though. I'm sure they'll see the benefits of this for years to come

Armagh18

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 28, 2020, 11:12:18 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on December 28, 2020, 10:39:37 PM

TBH, that's a bit hypocritical as well.
Cork is a hurling county- same as every other Munster county except Kerry. Cork footballers continually moan about their lack of funding and support from their CB. IIRC, they went on strike a few years back toi highlight their grievances.
[/b] Yeah Kerry footballers did something similar this year.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: dublin7 on December 27, 2020, 06:31:19 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 27, 2020, 06:27:44 PM
What I do see is that Mayo people know more about football than anyone else.

They don't care about improving the football championship. They're only interested in trying to weaken Dublin so they have a better chance to win the All Ireland. What every other county does is irrelevant

That, my friend, is a complete load of bullocks!
You never heard anyone else connected with the Mayo team say that.
Andy Moran is on record as saying that the Mayo team are ready to take Dublin on at any time and I don't think anything has changed since he said it.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

sid waddell

Quote from: dublin7 on December 29, 2020, 02:29:53 PM

For Christmas I got garden gnomes in Dublin Jersies for the garden for example and plaques to commemorate the 5 and 6 in a row.
I must get a couple of those garden gnomes meself

I'll call one of them Ewan and the other one Colm