Follow Mayo's lead : Would the use of 2 independent witnesses work or not ?

Started by orangeman, July 30, 2009, 01:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

What do you think ? Would this lead to better discipline or chaos ?

Ban handed down to McGarrity assailant  

Crossmolina's Henry McLoughlin has been suspended for four weeks arising from an incident which left Mayo midfielder Ronan McGarrity with a fractured cheekbone.

The off-the-ball incident, which occurred during a stormy senior championship match between Crossmolina and Ballina on 5 July wasn't seen by referee John Hughes or any of his officials, but McLoughlin has been banned by the Mayo CCC after two independent witnesses identified him as McGarrity's assailant.

Mayo secretary Sean Feeney revealed that McGarrity was also implicated for his role in the incident by one of the witnesses, but the Mayo CCC had set a criteria whereby two witnesses are required to give information.
'The criteria we laid down was we had to have two (independent witnesses),' Feeney said.

'One of the independent witnesses said that there was an incident prior to that, between the two players. So they (McLoughlin and McGarrity) were both equally guilty at that stage but the second witness saw the apparent retaliation (only).'

Ballina's Eanna Casey also received a four-week ban from the CCC for an incident later in the game which left McLoughlin with a facial wound that required stitches. However, the Ballina player had his suspension lifted on appeal.

A Quinn Martin Production

Dunno about this...it seems the two "independent" witnesses couldn't agree on what they saw?
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Lar Naparka

I think it is the best option available but it could be open to abuse.
Who decides what an 'independent' witness means?
If the practice becomes widespread, you could have an assload of 'independent' witnesses coming forward.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

johnpower

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on July 30, 2009, 01:35:53 PM
Dunno about this...it seems the two "independent" witnesses couldn't agree on what they saw?

Hard one to call how independent are the witnesses ? But a broken cheekbone is a serious injury

orangeman

How do you know they're truly "independent" ?

Does simply belonging to another club mean you're independent ?

Where does the referee come into the equation ?

In this particular case, it seems there is a suggestion that Mc Garrity started it and the other lad finished it.

Now where have I heard that one before ?

Blue Island

The difficulty is the criteria for deciding who is independent and who is not. That in itself could be quite contentious and give rise to argument.

However, that problem accepted, it is a step in the right direction. Ten, fifteen years ago, off the ball incidents used to be common place and many felt it was driving away some players and giving no real protection to more gifted players. The attitude then, which still lingers, is if the ref didn't see it(at club level) then what you going to do. I believe the fact is more players are being taken to court by the alleged victims because the perpetrator either gets away with it or receives a short ban.

Anything that attempts to get rid of off the ball incidents is to be welcomed. I do not know the circumstances of the recent club game in Antrim where Paddy Cunningham got badly injured, but I would not be surprised if he was struck simply because he was the best player and biggest threat on the field. Any measures taken to stop these type of incidents are to welcomed.

We all know that players with a tendency to strike off the ball make sure the ref is not looking before taking a player out. If they thought that witnesses evidence from the side line could see them punished for it they may be less inclined to do it.

AbbeySider

Quote from: orangeman on July 30, 2009, 01:40:12 PM
How do you know they're truly "independent" ?

Does simply belonging to another club mean you're independent ?

The independent witnesses were from KPMG.
The same fella that does the lotto on RTE
:P

Archie Mitchell

Farrandeelin

orangeman, if they were from Knockmore they would be fully independent :D. However, I don't know who the witnesses were.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 30, 2009, 03:00:41 PM
orangeman, if they were from Knockmore they would be fully independent :D. However, I don't know who the witnesses were.

Only one of the witnesses Knockmore.