DUBLIN v TYRONE JANUARY 2009 CROKE PARK

Started by Canalman, September 29, 2008, 02:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 27, 2009, 10:12:28 PM
Quote from: hardstation on January 27, 2009, 10:02:07 PM
Anyone to look out for

You can join the rest of the Dublin team in looking out for Ciaran Whelan, during one of his vanishing acts (Ouch! Will we pay for that)

Maybe you'll sacrifice one of your players again to 'cut off the oxygen' or maybe you'll play football with all 15..

David Henry named as captain for the game

Declan

Interesting selection alright. Hard to know how they'll fare against the champs but it'll be good to see how the new lads fare out.

ONeill

On their day, that's a decent and tricky full forward line.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

INDIANA

Pale faced reading the selection,  Please mickey leave stephen O neill at home.

Mr. Nakata

Looking forward to creamy pints of stout in Fagan's followed hopefully by the opening 2 points of the league campaign. Would like to see something along these lines.

Devine, Ricey, Joe, Swift, Davey, Justy, Jordan, Enda, Cassidy, Tommy, Sean, Devlin, McCullagh, O'Neill, Mugsy

Think the McMahon's are inter changeable, but have a sneaky suspicion the beard may try out Justin at 6. Think Cassidy and Devlin are both well worthy of a starting place, though Mulgrew may get the nod over the Stewardstown attacker, or even mulligan.

ONeill

No matter what side the Jackeens send out, they'll be mightily fired up to put one over Tyrone. I think they've had enough of us...
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Owenmoresider

Each club got two tickets AFAIK, so there's plenty about, whether that'll translate into bums on the seats is another matter.

Just seen that the Enniscrone ego (premium version) is reffing this one. Mighty, so it'll be a cardfest and the new rules will be exposed as the sham that they are, here's hoping anyway.

Hound

Interesting Dublin selection. An all new half forward line - a line that Pillar often struggled to get right and usually played two corner forwards and one half back. This time we've 3 proper half forwards (even if Henry has played as a defender for his intercounty career to date).

Glad to see Ross get a go at midfield.

On paper the full back line looks the weakest, and they are really being thrown into the Lions Den given the lads they'll likely be up against. Extraordinary how long its been since Dublin gave a full back a decent run in the full back position.

Declan

Good to see the lads looking forward to it: Henry speaks sensibly in this morning's Times

The repositioning of Henry in the forward line, where he will also wear the captain's armband, is something the player himself was half-expecting: "Pat was always going to try out some new things, given he's the new manager," he said. "It's different, sure, but then you have to be comfortable now no matter where you play. Tyrone have probably proved that more than any other team, and last year, against us, had players playing all over the place. It has to be the big plus about their game.

"Of course, just because it works for them doesn't mean it might work for someone else, but I think with the size of Croke Park as well, you have to be comfortable outside your own little zone. But I've played in the forwards, and midfield, with the club, Raheny, and would be comfortable no matter what jersey I get.

"But, overall, it couldn't be starting a better way. A big game, a big crowd, under lights. And regardless of what happened last year, playing against the All-Ireland champions, regardless of who they are, is something to look forward to. Having said that, we haven't a whole lot done.

"We'd a good week training out in Spain, but I think every player is nervous going out for the first game of the league. We're all starting all over again."

Henry was speaking earlier yesterday at the announcement of Setanta's league coverage for 2009, which begins with Saturday's game at Croke Park.

They will be sharing league coverage with TG4 over the coming months, alternating between football and hurling.

Yet, the league, Henry admitted, is still all about trying to juggle short-term and long-term ambitions: "Nobody goes out to lose any game. That goes without saying. But the league is still something of a process, about trying to build a team for the championship. Now, if you go and do win every game then it's a great bonus, and the best teams in the country usually do win, because they're the best teams. If we do end up in the play-off then well and good, but it will still be a building process for the championship.

"But we do need to bring more consistency to our game. We've played well in games when we needed to play well, and hopefully that will come this year. But we would still feel we're not that far away. Losing to Tyrone the way we did last year was hard, but you can't dwell on it. We've tried to learn from it. As players, we've all looked at the game.

"Hopefully we're a better team as a result. Losses like that should be character-building."

INDIANA

Quote from: Hound on January 28, 2009, 07:14:24 AM
Interesting Dublin selection. An all new half forward line - a line that Pillar often struggled to get right and usually played two corner forwards and one half back. This time we've 3 proper half forwards (even if Henry has played as a defender for his intercounty career to date).

Glad to see Ross get a go at midfield.

On paper the full back line looks the weakest, and they are really being thrown into the Lions Den given the lads they'll likely be up against. Extraordinary how long its been since Dublin gave a full back a decent run in the full back position.

james brogan is a defender hound , he isn't a forward. Diamond is a defensive type half forward but worth a shot . Henry is a welcome move as he plays there at half forward for his club. None of the full back line play there for their club. paddy Andrews is completely wasted there. Top class club forward and because some bright spark in DCU thinks he's a back we'll never see him in his best position. Bastic plays midfield for his club . Hubbard is a good player and one of the few hghly adaptable players we have. But I'd be worried about the others. Dublin need to try things but I don't think this is the game to do it in.
I would say we will play 10 to 11 players behind the ball when we turn it over on my reading of that team.

Over the Bar

Where are the pints a bit cheaper?  I'm galled at the thoughts of paying £4-£5 sterling for a stout!

liihb

Quotejames brogan is a defender hound , he isn't a forward. Diamond is a defensive type half forward but worth a shot . Henry is a welcome move as he plays there at half forward for his club. None of the full back line play there for their club. paddy Andrews is completely wasted there. Top class club forward and because some bright spark in DCU thinks he's a back we'll never see him in his best position. Bastic plays midfield for his club....

James Brogan never played in the backs for Brigids, only when he went to Plunketts as they had a dull complement of good forwards so wing forward should be nothing new to him....in saying that I'd have doubts whether he is up to it....Agreed on on Paddy Andrews being wasted, but he has a lot to learn as a forward too - Niall Moyna is involved with the Dubs and DCU so maybe he is behind it.....Bastic isn't the cousin of an intercounty player - O'Neill will destoy him or Bastick will be sent off or both.
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

INDIANA

Quote from: liihb on January 28, 2009, 09:26:56 AM
Quotejames brogan is a defender hound , he isn't a forward. Diamond is a defensive type half forward but worth a shot . Henry is a welcome move as he plays there at half forward for his club. None of the full back line play there for their club. paddy Andrews is completely wasted there. Top class club forward and because some bright spark in DCU thinks he's a back we'll never see him in his best position. Bastic plays midfield for his club....

James Brogan never played in the backs for Brigids, only when he went to Plunketts as they had a dull complement of good forwards so wing forward should be nothing new to him....in saying that I'd have doubts whether he is up to it....Agreed on on Paddy Andrews being wasted, but he has a lot to learn as a forward too - Niall Moyna is involved with the Dubs and DCU so maybe he is behind it.....Bastic isn't the cousin of an intercounty player - O'Neill will destoy him or Bastick will be sent off or both.

I'd agree with your sentiments on Brogan, I'm not sure he's good enough for that level but hopefully he'll prove all of us doubters wrong. I just don't believe paddy is a back. Even against Louth he struggled for DCU last weekend. But he's one of the best club forwards in the county and in my view thats where he should be playing.

theoriginalmup

Sharon Shannon and Mundy to play in Croker

The GAA has announced the full programme of events for the launch of the 125 celebrations for Saturday night the 31st of January.

Sharon Shannon and Mundy will entertain crowds as part of the celebrations at Croke Park, marking 125 years of the GAA. The pair, whose duet 'Galway Girl' was the undisputed chart success of Summer 2008, will perform at half time on the night.

"The quality musical act together with an exciting game of football and also a specially designed lighting and fireworks spectacular promises to be a night to remember. So bring the whole family to mark this monumental moment in the GAA's history." Jarlath Burns Chairman of 125 Committee.

The entertainment starts at 6.30pm with Hector Ó H hEochagáin and throw-in of the Dublin v All Ireland Champions Tyrone game commences at 7.30pm. Half time entertainment will feature Sharon Shannon and Mundy and 9pm sees the start of "Iconic moments" a show featuring some GAA highlights.

The crowd will then be entertained by a spectacular lighting and firework display which will light up the whole stadium. Larry Mullen's specially designed soundtrack, incorporating a selection of contemporary and traditional Irish music, will feature Micheal ó Muircheartaigh's bi-lingual tribute to the GAA which will accompany the firework display.

Get to Croke Park early to experience the full programme of entertainment. A limited number of tickets are still available, however stand tickets are almost sold out. So purchase your ticket now to avoid disappointment from the participating counties, on www.gaa.ie or from Ticketmaster outlets nationwide.

Ticket Prices are as follows:
Stand €20

Stand Juvenile(Designated sections of Davin and Cusack Stands) €5

(Juveniles must be accompanied by an adult)

Senior Citizens/Students (with I.D.) (Davin and Cusack Stands only) €10

(Must purchase full price ticket – refund available at Block D

turnstiles to rear of Cusack Stand prior to entry)

Terrace €15

Wheelchair and Attendant Passes €20

Group Passes per juvenile, 1 adult per 10 juveniles free of charge €3

rrhf

This will be a spectacular occasion, even added to may I say by the Bastick case in full back for Dublin - the man who started the battle of Omagh from Full forward.