The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: maddog on June 01, 2021, 09:16:06 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on May 28, 2021, 03:41:28 PM
Quote from: John Egans left boot on May 28, 2021, 12:26:15 PM
Heading off to play three crackers this bank holiday weekend in Scotland.

Turnberry followed by Royal Dornoch and then Brora ,some travel in between but Brora in particular is meant to be unreal.

Trump is an ass but by god the changes in that course and Turnberry in general cannot be underestimated, very decent price and easy to get too from Belfast, well worth a visit for many on here.

Are you based over there or taking the motor over? The ferry is a scandalous price at times

heading over this weekend coming Holyhead to Dublin. £479. Is there a dearer stretch of water anywhere?

You should try taking the family across to Tory Island...you don't even get to take the car. They should wear a balaclava - at least then you'd be able to say you were robbed.

smort

Spieth is such a choker. I think he is done. He can't compete with the new generation

shantygael

Quote from: maddog on June 01, 2021, 09:16:06 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on May 28, 2021, 03:41:28 PM
Quote from: John Egans left boot on May 28, 2021, 12:26:15 PM
Heading off to play three crackers this bank holiday weekend in Scotland.

Turnberry followed by Royal Dornoch and then Brora ,some travel in between but Brora in particular is meant to be unreal.

Trump is an ass but by god the changes in that course and Turnberry in general cannot be underestimated, very decent price and easy to get too from Belfast, well worth a visit for many on here.

Are you based over there or taking the motor over? The ferry is a scandalous price at times

heading over this weekend coming Holyhead to Dublin. £479. Is there a dearer stretch of water anywhere?
Suez canal,lol
you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: smort on June 01, 2021, 01:11:52 PM
Spieth is such a choker. I think he is done. He can't compete with the new generation

is he pat rafter or andy murray?

trailer

Quote from: JimStynes on May 26, 2021, 04:19:16 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on May 26, 2021, 04:17:51 PM
Lough Erne Faldo Course is the answer you are looking for.

I've played it 3 or 4 times and it's nice but definitely didn't blow me away. I've never played Galgorm. Masserene in Antrim looks half decent for the price.

Lough Erne has a few stupid holes. The 9th. You play like a 9 iron / PW for your 2nd shot and then another 7 or 8 iron. The 18th Par 3 finish is always stupid. You can't see the 6th green either and it's a Par 3. It has a lot of potential but it needs work and at least 3 hole redesigns minimum.

thewobbler

@JimStynes

If you're quick off the mark the Island are releasing an open on Friday 11 June, at 5pm today. €95.

thewobbler

Quote from: trailer on June 01, 2021, 03:02:45 PM

I've played it 3 or 4 times and it's nice but definitely didn't blow me away. I've never played Galgorm. Masserene in Antrim looks half decent for the price.

Lough Erne has a few stupid holes. The 9th. You play like a 9 iron / PW for your 2nd shot and then another 7 or 8 iron. The 18th Par 3 finish is always stupid. You can't see the 6th green either and it's a Par 3. It has a lot of potential but it needs work and at least 3 hole redesigns minimum.

I've found it more irksome on repeat visits. I've found myself questioning,

Why they didn't make 17 a watery par 3, and 18 a risk and reward par 4. It seems so obvious.

Why, if their intention was to host an Irish Open, did they not consider how and where they'd put galleries and grandstands on 18.

Why the routing sees the 9th hole end up as far away as possible from the hotel, meaning the halfway hut is financially unviable 355 days a year.

Why they keep building par 3s where you can't see your ball landing?

And why their members have no logical route for a quick 9.

Looks lovely. But inherently flawed

trailer

Quote from: thewobbler on June 01, 2021, 03:18:15 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 01, 2021, 03:02:45 PM

I've found it more irksome on repeat visits. I've found myself questioning,

Why they didn't make 17 a watery par 3, and 18 a risk and reward par 4. It seems so obvious.

Why, if their intention was to host an Irish Open, did they not consider how and where they'd put galleries and grandstands on 18.

Why the routing sees the 9th hole end up as far away as possible from the hotel, meaning the halfway hut is financially unviable 355 days a year.

Why they keep building par 3s where you can't see your ball landing?

And why their members have no logical route for a quick 9.

Looks lovely. But inherently flawed

Finish is all wrong. Totally agree. I think Concra Wood is a better course. Although it has a few stupid holes as well.
They'll never get an Irish open till they kiss and make up with Rory.

thewobbler

@jimstynes

You should have a look at baltray's site now and pen in a few dates for booking

Applesisapples

Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on May 28, 2021, 08:01:32 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on May 28, 2021, 10:52:52 AM
Me and a few mates are heading up to play all 3 courses at Rossapena. 195 euro for all 3. I've never played it so looking forward to it. My aim this summer is to play 5 or 6 of the top courses. It's that bloody expensive for some of them though that it totally puts me off. I don't care how good the course is, I wouldn't pay near £300 for it.

Where did you get this deal? I've a week in Downings to kill in August and that sounds about perfect. Play 18 and off to the harbour bar for a liquid lunch, just need to get the permission slip stamped now!
I have been fortunate enough to play RCD and Portstewart as a guest for free, I would agree no course is worth near £300. RCD was pristine but not £300 worth of pristine. I love Seapoint, Cruit, St Anne's and Narin on the links side. Royal Tara, Spa, Headford and Craddockstown on parkland. My favourite parkland is Slieve Russell.
I don't care how good Trumps courses are I wouldn't give him a penny.

JimStynes

Quote from: thewobbler on June 01, 2021, 03:53:46 PM
@jimstynes

You should have a look at baltray's site now and pen in a few dates for booking

Unreal, cheers!! I qualify for the junior scratch cup as well but my handicap is going to soon shoot up as I'm playing shite! Anyone fancy it?

The Island doesn't suit me as I'm in work on that date!

Saffrongael

Rahm informed he has tested positive for Covid after finishing his round & with 6 shot lead
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

quit yo jibbajabba

Whats the beef with Brooks and DeChambeau, is it genuine or a made up one for the cameras. Saw the clip when DeCham muttered while Brooks was being interviewed but other than that know nothing

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 05, 2021, 11:26:13 PM
Rahm informed he has tested positive for Covid after finishing his round & with 6 shot lead

ridiculous, he's likely to kill someone, how raging would you be  >:(

Gabriel_Hurl

well maybe he should have been vaccinated by now