The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muck Savage

Lowry with a steady round up to the 17th and an almost unplayable 2nd shot to end with a double bogey but fair play pulled one back on the 18th. Played by far the best of the three with Dustin and Sergio. Its a tough place to play with that wind.
Padraig H doing very well to hang in there in the last 6 holes lots of scrambling. Will be an interesting day tomorrow.

Angelo

Quote from: smelmoth on May 20, 2021, 10:11:27 PM
Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on May 20, 2021, 10:04:23 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 20, 2021, 08:59:26 PM
Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on May 20, 2021, 08:13:45 PM
fanboys starting early this week  ::),

hopefully their hero is gone by tomorrow evening so we can concentrate on the golfers that actually have a chance of winning  ;)

Very rattled and very tetchy, so they are.

obsessed more like  ;D

The recurring McElroy theme on this thread is invariably initiated by a cohort of posters who seem to hate the lad.

I don't knowwho these posters are or what their motivation is but judging the posters by their own words they appear to be malignant scum

Now that's a meltdown.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

TwoUpTwoDown

Overall some very positive stuff by the Irish yesterday. Harrington loves a bit of grind and he knows from his World Cup win ont the Ocean Course that short game is key there.

Lowry appears to be playing well, although it's shambolic how little coverage he gets. He carries a presence in the States so that should only be to his advantage.

As for Rory, I actually thought he played some very good stuff. His scrambling and short game were on fire for a lot of that round and a score of level or 1 over would have been a fairer reflection imo. But in golf it doesn't take much to run up a card and he found that out for himself.

If they are all sitting around even or 1 under at the end of play today I think they would be more than happy. Think the PGA will set it up for higher scoring today.

Applesisapples

I have never liked McIlroy. But he is a talented golfer and his results prove that. I wouldn't wish him to fail, it doesn't bother me either way though. That course is brutal and +3 is still in the hunt.

trailer

An ordinary 5 handicapper would do well to break 100 on that course. A 10 -20 handicapper is looking at 130 - 160.

JimStynes

Quote from: trailer on May 21, 2021, 12:02:27 PM
An ordinary 5 handicapper would do well to break 100 on that course. A 10 -20 handicapper is looking at 130 - 160.

Wonder how many shots it gives you on the new handicap system

thewobbler

It's got a slope of 155. The highest available.

This would mean a 20 handicapper on a  traditional  Irish parkland (not one of the newfangled 7000 yard ones) would enjoy a 27-28 handicap when playing Kiawah off the back sticks.

JPGJOHNNYG

160??
Can you only use your putter

trailer

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on May 21, 2021, 01:34:07 PM

160??
Can you only use your putter

Keeping it in play and the forced carries over the shit would mean lots and lots of provos (which would turn into ball in play). It's got the highest slope available. Most of the Par 4s aren't reachable in 2 for the average Joe soap.

thebigfella

Nonsense. On this championship setup, a good 10 handicappers should be delighted to break 90 but under 100 is achievable. Some of the carries of tee on this setup would be a problem for shorter hitters.

Off the forward tees it would be a completely different prospect, looking at the card I reckon i'd hit very few drivers and stick to the trusty 2 iron  ;D

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: thewobbler on May 21, 2021, 01:27:23 PM

This would mean a 20 handicapper on a  traditional  Irish parkland (not one of the newfangled 7000 yard ones) would enjoy a 27-28 handicap when playing Kiawah off the back sticks.

Try mid 30s

thebigfella

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 21, 2021, 02:56:18 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 21, 2021, 01:27:23 PM

Try mid 30s

I might actually get a shot or 2 ;D

Orior

I would get 7 additional shots.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

michaelg

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 21, 2021, 11:40:30 AM
I have never liked McIlroy. But he is a talented golfer and his results prove that. I wouldn't wish him to fail, it doesn't bother me either way though. That course is brutal and +3 is still in the hunt.
Other than the, perhaps glaringly obvious, what has he done to annoy you? After 15 years in the public eye, he always comes across well and seems a good guy, in a sport too, where there is fairly high proportion of  assholes.

Franko

So a 20 handicapper, getting a course handicap of 35, would STILL shoot 53 OVER PAR?

Or 88 over par gross??

Think someone's getting a tad carried away