Badger Baiting

Started by smelmoth, May 21, 2021, 09:26:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smelmoth

Programme on Nordie TV last night claiming that baiting is still quite a big thing in the North. I cannot recall the precise number of incidents (but it was shockingly high) but also a completely weird fact that 50% of the incidents are in County Down.

What they hell is going on?

Is this something people are involved in or are aware of?

Can't get my head around it

Jeepers Creepers

Strange mindset of the people who do this. Same as dog fighting. Can't get my head around how people enjoy it. Would see alot of evidence of holes being dug (spade & dogs) around sets in and around Shaws Bridge/minnowburn in Belfast.

smelmoth

There was also a mention of a maximum sentence of 5 years. Difficult to imagine what the mitigation could be to give anything other than the maximum sentence. Presumably anyone involved needs some form of psychological treatment also.

Agree that dog fighting, whilst different falls into the same category.

Taylor

Surely hunts should also fall into the same category?

How these are still legal in some instances is baffling.

Like baiting there is one desired outcome from the organisers

smelmoth

Quote from: Taylor on May 21, 2021, 09:58:57 AM

Not a fan of hunts but it would be fair to say that dog fighting or badger baiting are a step up in terms of cruelty and the much more close contact human participation.

I would ban hunts but there would be a big fight back from some. Really not sure anyone is going to step forward to defend baiting or dog fighting.

Orior

At a certain time of the year badgers visit my golf course, dig up terrible divots and never replace them. Other than that, they are fine.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

johnnycool

Quote from: smelmoth on May 21, 2021, 10:04:13 AM

Not a fan of hunts but it would be fair to say that dog fighting or badger baiting are a step up in terms of cruelty and the much more close contact human participation.

I would ban hunts but there would be a big fight back from some. Really not sure anyone is going to step forward to defend baiting or dog fighting.

Fox hunts are exactly the same except for the pageantry and class divide.

Hallions the lot of them who take part in it.

Taylor

Step up?

I disagree.

An animal is hunted down for miles by a pack and then torn to shreds.

smelmoth

Well I am not defending fox hunting but I reckon if the entire population were consulted you would find a majority repelled by fox hunting, dog fighting and badger baiting. But the latter 2 would repulse c99% people. The difference I think is in part to do with the proximity to the kill and the intentionally drawn out nature of the kill.

But yeah ban the lot would get my vote

smelmoth

Quote from: johnnycool on May 21, 2021, 10:18:39 AM

Not fully true. There are hunts with horses and with full packs that only an elite can maintain. But that is not the only version of fox hunting. Both are equally barbaric

whitey

Quote from: smelmoth on May 21, 2021, 10:35:29 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 21, 2021, 10:18:39 AM

Not fully true. There are hunts with horses and with full packs that only an elite can maintain. But that is not the only version of fox hunting. Both are equally barbaric

I saw a YouTube video about snaring foxes

That's probably the worst way of controlling foxes closely followed by poisoning

Optics of a mob on horseback chasing a poor fox doesn't make for good viewing but I'm guessing they account for fractions of one percent of all the foxes killed in any given year

tonto1888

Hunting for sport should be banned.

RedHand88

An exs father was at it. Might have been foxes instead of badgers but it involved putting big lamps ontop of a jeep and driving round a field at night. I could never get my head around it or where the sport in it was. She thought nothing of it which was worse.

smelmoth

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 21, 2021, 01:33:36 PM
An exs father was at it. Might have been foxes instead of badgers but it involved putting big lamps ontop of a jeep and driving round a field at night. I could never get my head around it or where the sport in it was. She thought nothing of it which was worse.

Sounds like you dodged a bullet. Possibly literally

RedHand88

Quote from: smelmoth on May 21, 2021, 02:28:09 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on May 21, 2021, 01:33:36 PM

Sounds like you dodged a bullet. Possibly literally

She has a professional qualification and all now. It was just bizarre. Apparently it's what the locals do for fun. This was Tyrone not Down interestingly.
I don't understand what enjoyment anyone would get from it.