People you admire

Started by armaghniac, May 20, 2021, 10:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on June 07, 2021, 03:48:27 PM
Katie Taylor.
I thought the weather was too sunny for fishing.

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 07, 2021, 04:05:04 PM
Quote from: laoislad on June 07, 2021, 03:48:27 PM
Katie Taylor.
I thought the weather was too sunny for fishing.
I'm not fishing. I think she is great.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Itchy

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 07, 2021, 03:19:45 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 07, 2021, 03:05:56 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 07, 2021, 02:32:41 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 07, 2021, 12:50:29 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on June 07, 2021, 12:48:12 PM
Poots attended a McKenna football match in 2008, becoming the first DUP minister to attend a GAA fixture, long before Arlene Foster did.

Do I win a prize?

I really admire the man
??
But not Arlene Foster? What's the difference between one Unionist bigot or another?
So you'd ban all religion in schools? You'd run into trouble with Poots then since he believes all in says in the Bible.
I never knew he attended any sort of a GAA match.
Well, far play to him for doing so. He can't be, same as Foster, a totally bitter anti-Taig then.

Seems sarcasm is way over your head every bit as much as northern issues. Even Poot's mother wouldn't admire him.
Yeah? If that's your best attempt at sarcasm it's as undercooked as your political maturity.

Good man Lar,  you imply I'm the opposite of a hardline loyalist in a post and in the next you believe me when I say I admire Edwin Poots, who even more backward and bigoted than Arlene, thinks the world is 3k years old etc.

Itchy

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 07, 2021, 03:14:03 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 07, 2021, 02:37:50 PM
Poots attended a McKenna football match in 2008, becoming the first DUP minister to attend a GAA fixture, long before Arlene Foster did.

Do I win a prize?

I really admire the man
??
But not Arlene Foster? What's the difference between one Unionist bigot or another?
So you'd ban all religion in schools? You'd run into trouble with Poots then since he believes all in says in the Bible.
Well, far play to him for doing so. He can't be, same as Foster, a totally bitter anti-Taig then.

Poots as minister attended that game. I don't admire him, but he is somewhat willing to do his job.
Foster as First Minister and Fermanagh MLA should have attended on the same basis, perhaps Stalford who attended with her deserves more credit
I don't follow you ...
Do you mean that she wasn't a state minister at the time, so it was no big deal. I never thought of it that way.
In any event, she was taking an infinitely greater political risk by attending the Harte funeral. That was a double whammy, religious  and cultural, for the extremists on her side of the community divide.
Incidentally, the man Itchy admires wouldn't dream of attending a Catholic ceremony of any sort. Creationists regard Catholics as idolators and all pre-doomed to everlasting damnation in the fires of hell

I do really admire Poots. I think he's right about the Dinosaurs being a trick and for sure catholics are doomed. He also dead right about those gays being an abomination. However, when he demonstrates his hard-core love of GAA by attending a McKenna cup match, well that really elevated him to a god like status for me.

From the Bunker

Do many elected Sinn Fein and SDLP politicians attend local and international Rugby, Cricket and Hockey matches?

haranguerer

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 05, 2021, 10:58:34 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on June 04, 2021, 02:15:05 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 23, 2021, 11:24:12 PM
I have great respect for Mickey Harte because of his dtremendous dignity under pressure as he coped with the death of his daughter. I have reservations about much that Mickey has done but, like Aidan McGinely of recent times., Mickey and his wife were an inspitation to us all.
More controversial perhaps, I admire Arlene Foster who crossed deep sectarian divides to attend the Harte funeral.

I do not understand this in the slightest
What do you not understand? Do you think she should not have attended in order to conform with the usual stereotypes? Her religious beliefs prevented here attending the mass but she turned up for the graveside ceremonies and in doing so she probably upset more of her own supporters than anyone else.
There was nothing to be gained politically by her going there- just a token of respect for the ordeal the Harte and McAravey families were going through.

I think you are mixing up a number of things here. Can you tell me how her religious beliefs prevent her attending the mass? In any event 'in doing so she upset a number of her own supporters' - are you really excusing her bigotry and those of her supporters by admiring her for taking a slight step away from it? Your bar is set incredibly low. And of course there was something to gain politically (not that I'm saying that was necessarily what her attendance was for) - hasn't she fooled people like you into thinking she's a decent sort despite being a hateful bigot (as you state yourself in your response)?

haranguerer

Lar, posted my response before having read the rest of the replies. I do wonder how it is that many seem keen to fall over themselves to bestow praise on a unionist for looking sideways at them but would never even consider anything the other way as at all noteworthy in any respect. Where does that come from? Hard to see it as anything but tugging the forelock  :-\

Itchy

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 07, 2021, 05:03:42 PM
Do many elected Sinn Fein and SDLP politicians attend local and international Rugby, Cricket and Hockey matches?

Quite a few I would guess in case of rugby. Hockey and cricket have hardly any support base, I wouldnt even know where to watch one.

yellowcard

I have great respect for Mickey Harte because of his dtremendous dignity under pressure as he coped with the death of his daughter. I have reservations about much that Mickey has done but, like Aidan McGinely of recent times., Mickey and his wife were an inspitation to us all.
More controversial perhaps, I admire Arlene Foster who crossed deep sectarian divides to attend the Harte funeral.

Of all the people and for all the reasons you could have chosen, I find that choice simply bizarre. Unless it was designed simply to provoke a reaction.

I have to admit that Arlene Foster would definitely not be at the forefront of people whom I admire. Then to state the reason being her attendance at a funeral of a young girl who was tragically murdered on her honeymoon in what became national headlines at the time. As a public representative was it not her duty to attend the funeral or is the 'admiration' bar really set that low.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: haranguerer on June 07, 2021, 05:32:25 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 05, 2021, 10:58:34 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on June 04, 2021, 02:15:05 PM

I do not understand this in the slightest
What do you not understand? Do you think she should not have attended in order to conform with the usual stereotypes? Her religious beliefs prevented here attending the mass but she turned up for the graveside ceremonies and in doing so she probably upset more of her own supporters than anyone else.
There was nothing to be gained politically by her going there- just a token of respect for the ordeal the Harte and McAravey families were going through.

I think you are mixing up a number of things here. Can you tell me how her religious beliefs prevent her attending the mass? In any event 'in doing so she upset a number of her own supporters' - are you really excusing her bigotry and those of her supporters by admiring her for taking a slight step away from it? Your bar is set incredibly low. And of course there was something to gain politically (not that I'm saying that was necessarily what her attendance was for) - hasn't she fooled people like you into thinking she's a decent sort despite being a hateful bigot (as you state yourself in your response)?
She hasn't fooled me in the slightest. It goes against my nature to admit that I find anything done by the DUP or any of its members to be worthy of praise but to an impartial observer that would make me a bigot also.
I am told that the reason she attended the Harte funeral was because she felt sorry for Mrs harte  and genuinely wanted to show her understanding of a mother's grief. One mother expressing concern for another in her time of deepest grief is a human trait that crosses all sorts of political and cultural divisions.
I'm afraid I don't see how she could have hoped to gain anything politically by doing what she did- contrary to her perceived form. I can't warm to the DUP in any shape or form and the fact that Arlene is not  longer in that party doesn't bother me one way or the other.

One mother showing support for another rises above sectarian battle lines for me.

PS I must really be losing the plot big time! ;D
I recall seeing a (very reasonable) post by imtommygunne and I intended responding to it but when I went to look for it again, I couldn't' find it.
I'm genuinely stuck for time at the moment but I'll resume my search when I get a chance. ( Maybe 'll be locked up first.) Lol
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Ronnie

Quote from: armaghniac on June 07, 2021, 02:37:50 PM

Do I win a prize?

I really admire the man
??

Poots as minister attended that game. I don't admire him, but he is somewhat willing to do his job.
Foster as First Minister and Fermanagh MLA should have attended on the same basis, perhaps Stalford who attended with her deserves more credit

5 now Are:
Armaghaic
The pope
Ball hopper
Dai lama
Myself.   (As everyone does if they use. A mirror]
Chief rabbi

3rd rule:

Why 5

Close it now .   Politicians & golf.   Full f'ing stop

Ronnie

Quote from: Main Street on March 24, 2016, 11:05:02 PM
It's been 5 years  coming but Radovan Karadzic has lived long enough to be found guilty of genocide and sentenced to 40 years.
Genocide at Srebenica of course,  but it  should also be mentioned that it was the scene of one of the greatest acts of cowardice by NATO and  an armed 800 strong UN force (Dutch) under the command of Thom Karremans, who was promoted after his ignominious retreat to Netherlands.

Ronnie

Discussion Boards - used as a board for discussion are - are an invaluable friend especially when someone is going through a hard time.   I never knew of this oversight/poor decision etc... Mistakes happen.   I'm adding Main Street and resigning my membership after tonight.   Forever.  I am doing this for a reason.   So:
Main Street
Armaghniac
Ball Hopper
The Pope
The Queen

Rule 1 proper sports
Rule 2 no paid politicians
Rule 3 must be a discussion board member

Ronnie