Previous topic - Next topic

sam03/05

Tyrone having to travel to Kerry in Covid times is mental

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: seafoid on May 30, 2021, 09:35:34 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on May 30, 2021, 08:23:09 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 30, 2021, 08:02:50 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on May 30, 2021, 07:00:05 PM
You must have missed Kerry doing it against Dublin (unsuccessfully) in 2011.
I don't remember it becoming part of Kerry's match tactics from then on.

The GAA is in a very weak position
Most of its income comes from the all Ireland , the crowds and the associated spending

I.don't understand why the other counties accept what is happening.

Well, that's a different point than you made initially.  You're still wrong, but it is different.

As I'm sure you do actually know, possession football is a tactic designed to draw out a blanket defence when the defending team is losing.  Without that style of defence, there wouldn't be the possession game.
I don't remember Kerry doing it
I just think the Dubs have destroyed the sport with the assistance of the GAA.
Playint keep.the ball ahould be outlawed.
They will walk another all Ireland this year. Things like this never get better.

The way to stop keep ball is to win the ball from your opponents.  That requires coming out of your defensive shell and making tackles.  No rule change required.

smelmoth

Quote from: greatpoint on May 30, 2021, 08:32:31 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 30, 2021, 07:23:42 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on May 30, 2021, 07:07:05 PM
Joe McQuillan was absolutely shocking in the Roscommon Kerry game. Blew it up with over a minute left to play when it was scoring difference that determined the semi-final pairings.

Either McQuillan was wrong or you are wrong.

Every Gael with a grasp of fact and logic knows that McQuillan was right.

I assume "Great Point" is a nomenclature rooted in satire?

I bet you thought that sounded witty when you typed it all out pet.

An Angelo-esque response.

Who was correct, you or McQuillan?

Hound

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on May 31, 2021, 03:53:21 AM

Most of its income comes from the all Ireland , the crowds and the associated spending

Well, that's a different point than you made initially.  You're still wrong, but it is different.

As I'm sure you do actually know, possession football is a tactic designed to draw out a blanket defence when the defending team is losing.  Without that style of defence, there wouldn't be the possession game.
They will walk another all Ireland this year. Things like this never get better.

The way to stop keep ball is to win the ball from your opponents.  That requires coming out of your defensive shell and making tackles.  No rule change required.
A bit silly from seafoid alright. With a few minutes to go, 15 v 15, Dublin 2 points up and they have 4 free men looking to receive a pass! That's Dublin ruining football, having all these free men waltzing about in the middle of the field!

Playing keep ball is difficult, unless the opposition deliberately make it easy. About 10 mins into the second half of the Kerry game, Dubs tried to play keep ball and handed Kerry 3 points in 2 minutes, which completely changed the momentum of that game. 3 mistakes by Dublin let Kerry right back into it, but of course a team is far more likely to make a mistake when the opposition put pressure on them. Forced errors.

Rossfan

The 3 Challenge games part of the mini League is over and we are where expected (as are Galway, Armagh and Monaghan)-in a play off to stay in D1.
Some encouraging signs yesterday and some positive go forward football.
2 real games coming up will define our mini  season so here's hoping......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Hound on May 31, 2021, 09:04:59 AM

A bit silly from seafoid alright. With a few minutes to go, 15 v 15, Dublin 2 points up and they have 4 free men looking to receive a pass! That's Dublin ruining football, having all these free men waltzing about in the middle of the field!

Playing keep ball is difficult, unless the opposition deliberately make it easy. About 10 mins into the second half of the Kerry game, Dubs tried to play keep ball and handed Kerry 3 points in 2 minutes, which completely changed the momentum of that game. 3 mistakes by Dublin let Kerry right back into it, but of course a team is far more likely to make a mistake when the opposition put pressure on them. Forced errors.
Playing keep the ball is the Dubs special in the  last 5 minutes. It's not sporting. It's dishonourable. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

galwayman

Quote from: seafoid on May 31, 2021, 09:50:12 AM

Playing keep the ball is the Dubs special in the  last 5 minutes. It's not sporting. It's dishonourable.
Dishonourable to keep possession in a game involving a football?
Are you off your tree?

skeog

Who thought up organising a competition that a final doesnt go ahead because of a game the following week.Shambles is the only word for it.Be a feisty game in Monaghan with Pauric crying fowl or banty over the venue.

An Fhairche Abu

I think PJ may leave the whinging about the venue at this stage and get on with it although why the GAA didn't just give home advantage to the 1st and 3rd placed teams is beyond me.
I'm sure people will complain about 2 out of 3 home games for some counties to get to those rankings but at the end of the day this mini league setup is a bit of a farce as is.

macker15

Quote from: seafoid on May 31, 2021, 09:50:12 AM

Why dont dont teams press opposition who play keep ball instead playing 15 bodies behind the ball? Blanket defences are the issues here Tom.

Main Street

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 31, 2021, 10:00:44 AM
I think PJ may leave the whinging about the venue at this stage and get on with it although why the GAA didn't just give home advantage to the 1st and 3rd placed teams is beyond me.
I'm sure people will complain about 2 out of 3 home games for some counties to get to those rankings but at the end of the day this mini league setup is a bit of a farce as is.
It's a temporary set up but the venue selection  format makes Div 1 more equitable. PJ whinging about Monaghan being awarded for breaking the rules is totally ignorant.

An Fhairche Abu

Decided before the league started so it's pointless giving out but home advantage is certainly a benefit for these one off stay up or go down matches.
As I said I'd leave it be but 4th placed team potentially getting advantage over a 3rd placed team and 2nd over 1st is a nonsensical way to setup this league - which was a shambles of a setup in the first place.

Captain Obvious

Armagh have got home advantage for the relegation play off. That's a big boost.

GaillimhIarthair

PJs point is well made BUT venue selection is finalised at this stage so we move on and focus on what will be a tough game up in Monaghan.  It's a right good game to have in the lead up to the championship and if we think we are good enough to be in Div 1, well then we should be winning it regardless of the venue IMO.  The last 2 performances have been a small step in the right direction but our own kick outs and the defence / attack balance still need a lot of work. 

Hound

Dubs v Donegal to be played at neutral venue.