Ulster Club Championships

Started by hows she cutting, November 10, 2006, 02:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodo

Stewartstown match ended up in a big melee. RTE news showed one lad lacing pucs into another bucks side. Looks like there's going to be suspensions etc. Cameras got good bit of it clearly.

Disgraceful stuff.

Dubh driocht

The Stewartstown Ballymacnab game  had an unfortune ending but it was intermediate stuff in more ways than one. Draws in both games were fair results. I thought Enda Muldoon was known as the Big Easy ?He didn't look like a man who took her easy to me!

Redhandfan

Despite the very poor weather conditions, there was some very entertaining fare at Casement Park today.  If ever two games deserved to end in a draw, it was these two! 

Ballinderry 0-10 Errigal Ciaran 0-10
There was never any chance of Ballinderry running away with this semi-final and it soon became clear that this clash had all the hallmarks of a draw.  There was never too much between them and, even when underdogs Errigal fell two points behind in the final quarter and were facing into a very strong wind, I always got the impression that they would get back into it.  The first half was a real cat and mouse affair.  It was score for score during those opening thirty minutes, although Ballinderry did look a slightly better team going forward.  The referee certainly didn't do Errigal too many favours during those opening thirty minutes, giving many of the 50/50 decisions Ballinderry's way.  For me, Errigal actually played better against the wind in the second half and their work rate was excellent.  Both teams squandered a number of good chances during this period but Errigal showed great resolve and spirit to come from behind in the closing stages and deservedly earned a replay.  Contrary to previous posts on this game, this was not an overly physical or dirty contest.  In fact, I expected it to be much more keenly contested.  It was still a good game and it is difficult to know which side has more room for improvement.  Another close contest should be on the cards next week.  Best for Errigal were full back Cormac McGinley, wing backs Davy Harte and Brian Mullin, and the enigmatic Eoin Gormley who must have been reading my match preview last night and really stood up to the mark in midfield and attack!  Meanwhile, captain Conleth Gilligan had an immense match for Ballinderry at centre half forward.

Ballymacnab 0-11 Stewartstown 0-11
Tyrone Intermediate champions Stewartstown don't do dull!  They were involved in another classic confrontation today against a very lively Ballymacnab side in the Casement Park curtain-raiser.  Just how Stewartstown managed to pull this one out of the fire I will never know!  They played second fiddle to a fast moving and economical Ballymacnab outfit for most of the first half but things appeared to turn in their favour just before the break when the Armagh champions had a defender sent off.  However, a number of missed opportunities, including a couple of simple frees and a penalty miss by Peter Armour, saw Stewartstown trail by three points at the interval (0-5 to 0-8).  Although Stewartstown still had the advantage of a strong wind on their backs for the second half, they were dealt a major blow with the dismissal (two yellow cards) of their star forward Gareth Devlin.  A Brian McCone inspired Ballymacnab raced into a five point lead in the third quarter and, with Stewartstown continuing to misfire in attack and waste several more good scoring chances, there looked to be no way back for them.  Amazingly, though, the Tyrone men somehow managed to stage a remarkable late comeback to earn a second bite of the cherry.  Armour made up for his earlier misses to instigate the Stewartstown revival and, given the circumstances, it was no wonder their players and supporters celebrated big time at the final whistle.  They had come back from the dead and fully deserved their late equaliser.  Unfortunately, there were some nasty scenes at the final whistle as the Ballymacnab players became embroiled with a number of Stewartstown subs as they made their way into the dressing room area.  It was probably just as well the Stewartstown team itself had stayed on the field to do a 'cool-down' and were prevented from joining the mayhem by the Casement Park stewards.  Had they been able to gain access to the subs enclosure as the fighting was taking place, it could have been a disaster.  The replay next weekend should be very interesting!

sam03/05

have to say the stewards at casement did an excellent job today in preventing the stewartstown team from getting into the stand and thus joining the brawl. There was only about 5 or 6 of them (at the gate) but they really did an excellent job. well done

ONeill

Excellent reporting again RHF. Radio Ulster also hinted at some dubious frees given against Glencull in the second half. Glad to say Errigal proved me wrong. I thought  Ballinderry by at least 4.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Forgot me Boots

What happened in the stands in Casement? was there a mass brawl between the fans. and i use that term loosely, or just a few idiots ruining the day for both clubs? I didn't hear any mention of it  on the UTV news

ziggysego

Any word when the Greencastle -v- Drumhowan will be played and where yet?
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Ulster Council to probe Casement brawl
Sunday, 19 November 2006 7:49  

The Ulster Council is set to launch a probe into the ugly scenes which followed today's provincial Club IFC semi-final between Ballymacnab of Armagh and Tyrone champions Stewartstown at Casement Park.

Supporters became involved in and around the tunnel area after players had traded blows following the final whistle.

The Tyrone side had battled their way back from five points behind to draw level at 0-11 each and earn a replay, but a thrilling game was marred by the incidents which followed.

Ulster Council Secretary Danny Murphy said a special meeting is likely to be called this week.

'We'll have to await the referee's report, but the scenes were a disgrace,' said Murphy.

'The Ulster Council will take a very dim view of it, and I believe that we probably will cause a special meeting.

'And there could be some very serious decisions made,' he added.

Sourced RTÉ.ie: http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/1119/casement.html
Testing Accessibility

Over the Bar

QuoteRadio Ulster also hinted at some dubious frees given against Glencull in the second half

::) sad anti-Errigal posting! lol

EC Unique

ONeill You are showing yourself up as an ignorant jealous fool.  :-\

hows she cutting

i would imagine he is only having a bit a craic lads

take a chill pill

ONeill

Holy Moses! I'm a big fan of EC and have followed them around the country. Some sensitive patrons around. On the plus side, now that I've found a weakness....
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

pintsofguinness

Did I miss the coverage on the  UTV News?

At least I know what the Belfast Giants are at  >:(
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Orior

Lucky you missed the BBC coverage. They gave pride and place to the punch up after the Stewartstown v Ballymcnab match.

I'm interest though, were there any Stewarts or McNabbs playing for either team? Is Stewartstown an Irish village renamed by the planters ala Londonderry or Draperstown?

Sounds like a classic Englishtown v Irishtown  ;)
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Orior on November 20, 2006, 07:32:42 PM
Lucky you missed the BBC coverage. They gave pride and place to the punch up after the Stewartstown v Ballymcnab match.

I seen it.  I didn't think it was that big of a "disgrace"  :-\
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?