The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

There was a Canadian fella in the pub today called Ngog and Benayoun Egg Nog and Eggs Benedict  :D

Gabriel_Hurl

Oh yeah - get in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More on Monday

Minus15

It was great to see Liverpool finish the game like that. Just thinking if united were to slip up tomorrow this has the potential to be a very important weekend in the title race. but I am just happy enough that the win was secured. Thought aurelio was motm myself. Think Mascherano showed a lot of fight today but he really frustrtaes me when he tries first time passes when he doesn;t really have the ability to do so! He does tend to be the reason that moves break down. contrast that to alonso who always seems to take the right options in possession!

Hound

When I saw the team all I could do was laugh. 6 defenders, a defensive midfielder and 3 attacking players! But in fairness to them, the formation actually suited most of the players, and we bombed forward from the start. Aurelio was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch for the 1st half, the full backs were playing as attacking wingers and even Agger and Skrtel were often joining the attacks! The problem was Babel and Ngog werent doing it.  Their movement seemed to show that neither is a natural poacher, and often their poor touch ended up in the end of our possession.

The second half was definitely crazy. How Babel missed the open goal I'll never know (it definitely wasnt offside, but setanta said the flag was up, though BBC never mentioned it). Got a bit of the manc luck to win it. Crouchie and Jamo came up trumps, but as I always say the more you pile forward (as the mancs always do, and we did for 90 minutes on Saturday) the luckier you get. Kuyt showed he's a great super sub  ;D  and Masco and Benny did superbly for the winner.

The biggest disappointment was Reina was shocking for the 2nd goal (as he was for Cahill's equaliser in the league game). Dunno what he was thinking. Hopefully normal service will now be resumed.
Biggest revelation is that Aurelio is well able to play centre field when required so no need for any more Lucas.

corn02

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 07, 2009, 09:57:27 PM

Hurl that was the exact clip I was going to put on. Forget looking like a boy scout, that is how you celebrate a goal!

cicfada

I am a Utd fan but yesterday was the first time that I thought that Pool could win the League! There's just the small matter of a game in Old Trafford to take care of first right?? ;)

corn02

Quote from: Hound on February 08, 2009, 07:31:10 AM
often their poor touch ended up

The biggest disappointment was Reina was shocking for the 2nd goal (as he was for Cahill's equaliser in the league game). Dunno what he was thinking. Hopefully normal service will now be resumed.
Biggest revelation is that Aurelio is well able to play centre field when required so no need for any more Lucas.

Watched the game with a Kepper (GAA) who thought the critics for Reina were deserved but a bit harash. He said when a player gets a free header from six yards there is not much you can do, you have to gamble where to dive - still should have saved it though.

corn02

Quote from: cicfada on February 08, 2009, 12:06:47 PM
I am a Utd fan but yesterday was the first time that I thought that Pool could win the League! There's just the small matter of a game in Old Trafford to take care of first right?? ;)

No we need a big showing to have any chance, I am just glad we are still in it.

brokencrossbar1

I didn't see the game live but I watched the highlights.  I think the criticsim of Benetiz selection is a bit skewed.  from what I saw, and as stated is was just highlights, I think that if a few small things had for Liverpool in the game they would have coasted home.  Kuyt's disallowed goal, Babel's miss,  few other incidents(James pulled off a few good saves).  He rested players and gave his squad the chance to stretch their legs. 

The win was good and was essential with the international break coming up.  What odds on Torres "tweaking" his hamstring?

Sidenote, what about Agger's cross field pass in the first half to Arbeloa I think it was.  Also He is signing a new contract, about time too!

Minder

One thing that is apparent is a lack of quality may prevent Liverpool winning the league but a lack of desire and appetite will not. Babels miss was Keane esque,the thing that bothers me about him is he does not seem to give a shit whether he plays well or shit. Enjoyed Mascheranos celebration,you like to see that it matters to them,too often you see footballers with only being interested in their own performances. The break has come at a good time. Alonso made a huge difference when he came on. As for Torres, he is pure gold.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Stalin

I think Babel's attitude has seemed a bit better in recent games. Id say he will have quite a big role to play now, hope he steps up. Wish he would get thon touch sorted  :-[
A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

full back

Hopefully not, but after yesterday perhaps the luck is changing for the scousers
Every team needs a bit of luck & a few late scores, yesterday could be the start of yours
Today is a vital vital game for Utd

corn02

Quote from: Stalin on February 08, 2009, 02:47:23 PM
I think Babel's attitude has seemed a bit better in recent games. Id say he will have quite a big role to play now, hope he steps up. Wish he would get thon touch sorted  :-[

If he plays poorly, doesn't have a great day, I will support him. It is when he starts shitting out of 50/50 challenges and doesn't give his all that I wil lgive him abuse.

Watched most of it again, underestimated Yossi's contribution = great again.

milltown row

Utd will win by 3 today, the hammers havent beaten a top team this year