Division one 2021

Started by tonto1888, December 14, 2020, 07:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Seemed to be a lot better from us today.
My GaaGo stream died a death so didn't see much of it - will try watch it back later.
It sounded like the tackling intensity and aggression were chalk and cheese compared to last week at least.
We beat Ros reasonably comfortably two years ago in the league and that didn't end so well for us come the Connacht final. Hoping history doesn't repeat itself now

Rossfan

There were around 3 months between those 2019 games.
Only 6 weeks this year.
About the second Galway goal....was yer man in the Square before the ball was kicked? If not then it was legal.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rudi

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 23, 2021, 04:36:24 PM
Quote from: Rudi on May 23, 2021, 03:40:38 PM
Cynical intensity from Galway, very much up for the match unlike lack posture Roscommon. The Galway side line very vocal, reffing the square ball goal.

Not sure how that 2nd Galway goal stood, a clear square ball and was only two points between the teams before that goal. The Roscommon performance probably deserved the margin of defeat though and in regards to relegation it looks like a matter of which team will join Roscommon in division 2 next year.

We are poor st the moment & Kerry will give us an awful batin next week. Look likely we will be playing Armagh in relegation play off, would not rule us out of that game. Need the Dalys back & with Poacher getting some on field time with the lads, who knows we may give Galway some sort of game.

An Fhairche Abu

Galway intensity was upped but at the end of the day it could not have got any worse than last week.
Some lazy fouling kept Roscommon in the game, if Galway kept it clean then they would have won that game a lot handier, I thought they were a good bit better than Roscommon today in general play. It was frustrating because at times Comer, Glynn and others executed some textbook stuff.
Sean Kelly, Conroy and Finnerty (in the first half) were the standout Galway players but the likes of Comer, O Laoi, Paul Kelly and Walsh (second half) were also showing well. Have severe doubts about McHugh at 6 but if Daly is injured I don't know whether there is much of a difference to the other options. Tomo got two touches after coming in and scored 1-1, could have been a square ball alright but TV angle didn't have him in shot when the ball was kicked in.

Tough task to avoid the relegation playoff, only a win against Dublin will do it but it's hard to make any case for that happening. From looking at Dublin Kerry match and how we got on in Tralee I think Galway are miles off the top level.
The continuing lack of a kick out strategy outside of kick it at Paul Conroy against the likes of Mayo, Dublin and Kerry, sure it's only going to go one way really.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rudi on May 23, 2021, 05:00:54 PM
Cynical intensity from Galway, very much up for the match unlike lack posture Roscommon. The Galway side line very vocal, reffing the square ball goal.

Not sure how that 2nd Galway goal stood, a clear square ball and was only two points between the teams before that goal. The Roscommon performance probably deserved the margin of defeat though and in regards to relegation it looks like a matter of which team will join Roscommon in division 2 next year.

We are poor st the moment & Kerry will give us an awful batin next week. Look likely we will be playing Armagh in relegation play off, would not rule us out of that game. Need the Dalys back & with Poacher getting some on field time with the lads, who knows we may give Galway some sort of game.

Certainly need both Conor Daly, Ronan Daly back if their replacements are Neary and Patterson, no offence to both but they wouldn't get near the Galway panel and Galway aren't filled with good defenders either.

Armagh look far fitter and organised hard to see Roscommon winning that match if it's the play off game.

mouview

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 23, 2021, 05:06:36 PM
Galway intensity was upped but at the end of the day it could not have got any worse than last week.
Some lazy fouling kept Roscommon in the game, if Galway kept it clean then they would have won that game a lot handier, I thought they were a good bit better than Roscommon today in general play. It was frustrating because at times Comer, Glynn and others executed some textbook stuff.
Sean Kelly, Conroy and Finnerty (in the first half) were the standout Galway players but the likes of Comer, O Laoi, Paul Kelly and Walsh (second half) were also showing well. Have severe doubts about McHugh at 6 but if Daly is injured I don't know whether there is much of a difference to the other options. Tomo got two touches after coming in and scored 1-1, could have been a square ball alright but TV angle didn't have him in shot when the ball was kicked in.

Though they would say it, GBFM commentary were adamant Culhane wasn't in square when ball was kicked in, laying the blame on Rossie keeper.

Rossfan

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 23, 2021, 05:10:26 PM
l.

r.

Armagh look far fitter and organised hard to see Roscommon winning that match if it's the play off game.
The way the Northern section is balanced we could be playing any of the 4.
All the signs are for a quick return to D2 and a one game Chamoionship :-\

seafoid

The Covid format isn't fair on Ros.

In with 3 teams who would probably have beaten them in regular Division 1 but with another 8 points up for grabs.
They could have found a rhythm but losing 3/3 is hard psychologically. Are they 1 of the 2 worst teams in D1? The standard in the other section is worse.

Angelo

Quote from: seafoid on May 23, 2021, 06:12:09 PM
The Covid format isn't fair on Ros.

In with 3 teams who would probably have beaten them in regular Division 1 but with another 8 points up for grabs.
They could have found a rhythm but losing 3/3 is hard psychologically. Are they 1 of the 2 worst teams in D1? The standard in the other section is worse.

The proof will be in the pudding in the relegation playoffs. I would say Galway and Roscommon are arguably the two weakest Div 1 teams.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on May 23, 2021, 05:47:27 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 23, 2021, 05:10:26 PM
l.

r.

The way the Northern section is balanced we could be playing any of the 4.
All the signs are for a quick return to D2 and a one game Chamoionship :-\

Ye always seem to win Connacht when relegated.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Not looking very likely this time around Farr.

balladmaker

Armagh v Donegal and Tyrone v Monaghan next weekend have a Championship feel to them ... win and you're in the league semi-final, lose and your in a relegation playoff.  A lot of injuries picked up this weekend and will have a big say on next week's fixtures, still all to play for though for all 4 teams in Div 1 North.  With crowds of 500 allowed back at games from May 24th I believe, any idea how they will manage the ticket allocation for next week's games?

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: macker15 on May 23, 2021, 03:45:21 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 23, 2021, 03:28:13 PM
Quote from: macker15 on May 23, 2021, 03:26:23 PM
Great comeback by kerry

;D

You lost a fair amount of money today!

Tell me about it. Had Clare backed so made a few quid back. Have Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs backed for the soccer
Funny how every bet you mention in advance ends up losing, and every bet you tell us about afterwards has won  ;D
Hasta la victoria siempre

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on May 24, 2021, 01:00:45 AM
Quote from: macker15 on May 23, 2021, 03:45:21 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 23, 2021, 03:28:13 PM
Quote from: macker15 on May 23, 2021, 03:26:23 PM
Great comeback by kerry

;D

You lost a fair amount of money today!

Tell me about it. Had Clare backed so made a few quid back. Have Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs backed for the soccer
Funny how every bet you mention in advance ends up losing, and every bet you tell us about afterwards has won  ;D

A Tony Ferron special..

Clare were 6/1 or something like that away to a 1/5 Kildare.. I smell BS
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

Quote from: balladmaker on May 24, 2021, 12:38:14 AM
Armagh v Donegal and Tyrone v Monaghan next weekend have a Championship feel to them ... win and you're in the league semi-final, lose and your in a relegation playoff.  A lot of injuries picked up this weekend and will have a big say on next week's fixtures, still all to play for though for all 4 teams in Div 1 North.  With crowds of 500 allowed back at games from May 24th I believe, any idea how they will manage the ticket allocation for next week's games?
Be interesting to see, given to Covid heroes I'd imagine, and I don't say that sarcastically - much preferable than club officers  nabbing them all. 500 is nothing, could have had 10,000+ at Armagh v Tyrone at the weekend