U20 All Ireland football championship 2021

Started by Blowitupref, February 03, 2020, 04:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Strong showing by Down in Extra time. First U20/21 ulster title since 2009 I think. FT Down 3-15 Monaghan 1-14.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Main Street

Sin sin, well deserved on the day for Down, Monaghan out on their feet gasping for air in ET.

StPatsAbu

Credit to the Monaghan lads. How can you be fully focused on training for a final following that tragedy?

Nanderson

Quote from: straightred on July 30, 2021, 09:28:04 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 30, 2021, 09:20:42 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 30, 2021, 09:11:57 PM
Quote from: straightred on July 30, 2021, 09:05:54 PM
Quote from: Nanderson on July 30, 2021, 08:51:21 PM
Quote from: straightred on July 30, 2021, 08:42:08 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 30, 2021, 08:14:38 PM
HT , Monaghan are 2 points to the good but Down have missed about 5 pointable chances as well the ref has made some strange decisions, how McGovern nr 12 for Down did not get a 20m free beats me.
Monaghan denied a peno there for a jersey pull. Down goal game from a forward mark that the player put his arm up for but then didnt take. Surely you can't be allowed to do that
there is no mark from a dead ball. ref was right to play on
i wish my irish was better but i think they're saying the ref got it wrong
They are but they are in fact wrong. This is the definition of a mark in the rule book:

To catch the ball cleanly from a Kick-Out without it touching the ground, on or past the 45m line nearest the Kick-Out point.
or
To catch the ball cleanly on or
inside a 45m line from a kick
in play (i.e. not from set-play)
delivered by an attacking player on or beyond the opposing team's 45m line, that travels
at least 20m and without it touching the ground.

They've realised now.
Another reason to hate the mark then. You can claim it even if you aren't entitled to it ?

Monaghan out on their feet now.
Monaghan player should have known he was free to tackle. Thats the benefits of brushing up on the rules

grounded

Just after listening to young O hare's post match interview talking about the loss of his friend last year in his club. Puts things in perspective all the more so given Monaghan's loss.
      Well done Down. I think they have a lot more in the tank. Fair play to Monaghan for putting up such a gallant fight.

Main Street

As some consolation TG4 are following up with the classic western The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid.

yellowcard

Another fine U-20 match again last night, the format of running off this championship midweek in conjunction with the inter county senior championship is proving a very good template. TG4 doing a fantastic job in promoting it which is the key and there has been no shortage of decent games.

Your heart would go out to Monaghan, it can't have been easy preparing for and playing that match last night but full credit to Down they were very dignified afterwards and that has to come from the management. Down senior team have a vacancy and I don't think they will have to look too far.

Blowitupref

Underdogs Offaly hugely impressive in that 1st half against All Ireland favourites Cork. Half time Offaly 1-7 Cork 0-3.

Congrats to Offaly into their first U20/U21 AI final since 1988. FT Offaly 3-10 Cork 0-14
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Schkite

Jaysus, fair play Offaly. What an underdog story, beating Dublin then Cork, who I think were the 2 All Ireland favourites before the provincial finals. That's warmed my heart a bit on a drab day.

SHEEDY

Great win for offaly, they've some brilliant players throughout that team.
nil satis nisi optimum

Captain Obvious

Fair play Offaly underdog stories like that is what make this sport great. A pity those at the top are determined to get rid of such underdog stories at senior level.

yellowcard

Offaly are a breath of fresh air, great energy, absolutely fearless and very good team to watch.

caprea

I haven't seen many Gaelic football teams more entertaining and box office than this Offaly under 20 one

yellowcard

That was another decent game tonight in what has been a great championship. A lot closer than the final score line would suggest but Roscommon deserved it to set up a real novel final pairing. Great to see new teams in the final.

Blowitupref

Roscommon v Offaly confirmed for Croke Park this Sunday at 1:30pm and 24,000 tickets between the two counties.

Makes for a very interesting final between two attacking teams. It will be live on TG4.

All-Ireland Ladies SFC semi-final between Cork and Meath added to the bill now.