Mayo v Galway 26.6.11

Started by Blowitupref, May 30, 2011, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

So can Mayo recover from the embarrassing performance in Ruislip? home advantage should swing it for the men in green & red.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

mannix

Galway are equally useless, the pick of Connaught would not bother the good teams like cork and Kerry.

Farrandeelin

Hmmm, championship time and before Sunday I was looking forward to a good campaign, winning Connacht and who knows who we might get in Croke Park afterwards. Now it has all changed, changed utterly. It appears that the players who were out there on Sunday still have Sligo and Longford 2010 ingrained in their systems despite the lot of newcomers. Le cúnamh Dé I'm totally wrong and the same boys will bring a bit of pride into the jersey the next day out.

Hard to know what to expect to be honest. What Galway side will turn up? What Mayo side will turn up? Will London be a blessing in disguise or will we sink into a deeper malaise after another poor performance? But obviously those three questions will have the big baring on how this game goes.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 31, 2011, 08:20:16 PM
Hmmm, championship time and before Sunday I was looking forward to a good campaign, winning Connacht and who knows who we might get in Croke Park afterwards. Now it has all changed, changed utterly.
Don't know Farrandeelin weren't you the guy that was tipping us for Connacht or maybe pardon the pun you were trying to "pull the wool over our eyes".

As i said over on the other thread i expect household changes,much improved performance & a win for Mayo.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Lar Naparka

Quote from: mannix on May 30, 2011, 07:35:04 PM
Galway are equally useless, the pick of Connaught would not bother the good teams like cork and Kerry.
Maybe you are right.
At a quick guess,I'd put Armagh, Down, Tyrone and probably Monaghan from Ulster in front of any Connacht county at the moment. In Leinster, I'd say the same about Dublin and Kildare and, down south, I'd opt for Kerry, Cork and maybe Limerick as well.
But Mayo, Roscommon and Galway in particular have had fine u21 sides in recent times and all have a good sprinkling of experienced hands on board as well while Sligo may well recover their form of last year. I know Mayo  were awful last Sunday but I was genuinely impresssed by some of the London players on show  as well. They played far  better  as a unit than their league form suggested.
Last Sunday's display may yet prove to have been a blessing in disguise for Horan's Hopefuls.
Galway appear to have sorted out their internal divisions and had a great u21 season this year. I expect  a cracker of a game in three weeks' time and maybe we'll have a number of them in Connacht yet. The season  doesn't look too bright at the mo but I'll wait until all concerned play their next matches before I get truly depressed. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Hmmm, championship time and before Sunday I was looking forward to a good campaign, winning Connacht and who knows who we might get in Croke Park afterwards. Now it has all changed, changed utterly. It appears that the players who were out there on Sunday still have Sligo and Longford 2010 ingrained in their systems despite the lot of newcomers. Le cúnamh Dé I'm totally wrong and the same boys will bring a bit of pride into the jersey the next day out.

Hard to know what to expect to be honest. What Galway side will turn up? What Mayo side will turn up? Will London be a blessing in disguise or will we sink into a deeper malaise after another poor performance? But obviously those three questions will have the big baring on how this game goes.

I think people are reading too much into that London game. I just highlighted that bit above Farandeelin cause I d go the opposite. I dont think that we have a crisis of confidence from last years losses to Longford and Sligo but, on the contrary, we still don t take what we consider our lessers seriously. Call it complacancy if we want but it wont change any time soon. If we had to go to London next year again, we would want to come away with as little effort as possible. We have habit of repeating mistakes and not learning here. We learned f**k all from AI finals 04 to 06. Same shite repeated. JH is taking flak now for his so-called sweeper system and is being advised to drop it and go back to the football equivalent of the 4-4-2. It may take a while but things have to change. We were not exactly successful from 51-11 with the off-the-cuff Mayo style. Lovely to watch on the good days that were few and far between. This change may take time but it has to happen.
Also when you think about it few players would want their summer to finish in Ruislip gettin their head taken off or by putting in a bone crunching hit. Stuff they will be doing against Galway. Imagine if we beat London well and lost a player like Dillon, Moran or Freeman for months. Would we be better off? London s performance means f**k all. We dodged a bullet and a disaster but it has no bearing on what is to come.
Barney made a point in another thread about how much some of our lads want to play for Mayo - I mean really play. I wouldn t judge too many on the London display. I mean Campbell seems to have had a nightmare in Ruislip but I would not question his desire - in fact he may have been a bit too tight by all account. And he had a fine league. On the other hand one that was culled from the panel said that it was a relief. Going to training was a 'chore'. Even if he was saving face fair play to JH for identifying a lack of desire. Looking at the panel as presently constituted I dont see any gluggers to be honest. I think we could be ok when it starts for real.

muppet

The loser of this one could suffer a serious blow to their All-Ireland ambitions.
MWWSI 2017

Blowitupref

PP odds Mayo 4/5 Draw 7/1 Galway 11/8

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on June 01, 2011, 01:32:44 AM
The loser of this one could suffer a serious blow to their All-Ireland ambitions.

If Mayo lose they will probably get sucked into an IMF bailout.
They would be kept out of the market for 2 years while they restructured the heads
and then they might be back by 2014 depending on how things went in Greece.   

The IMF are very strict on the number of wides allowable on the nearest side per
half and  on aimless handpassing that never goes anywhere.   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: ross4life on May 31, 2011, 08:50:08 PM
Hmmm, championship time and before Sunday I was looking forward to a good campaign, winning Connacht and who knows who we might get in Croke Park afterwards. Now it has all changed, changed utterly.
Don't know Farrandeelin weren't you the guy that was tipping us for Connacht or maybe pardon the pun you were trying to "pull the wool over our eyes".

As i said over on the other thread i expect household changes,much improved performance & a win for Mayo.

the type of household changes you would need would be ethnic cleansing and the transfer of half of population of Kerry into Mayo .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

southsidejohnny

Instead of Maurice Sheridan teaching 28/29 year old men how to kick a ball over the bar from 21 yards perhaps we might be better off if we got Maurice fit enough to play and take the frees himself.
Would any of the four Mayo players on the London team make our Junior team? Probably not. Are they good enough for the our senior team? Why not.
When you fail in succesive years to beat Sligo and Longford and London forces you to extra time then shuffling the sad pack we have wont do the trick.
BJ Padden, Austin O Malley and Alan Costelloe had to get out of the rags of misery before they were appreciated. James Horan has a thankless task. Its not his fault that the standard of football in the county is dire. However those charged with running the game in Mayo need to look at themselves.

highorlow

QuoteWhen you fail in succesive years to beat Sligo and Longford and London forces you to extra time then shuffling the sad pack we have wont do the trick

This was my point on another thread and I got a roasting for it. We don't have the natural footballers, bar a few like Dillion, O'Shea, Doherty and Moran, on the panel and the correct skill set to contest at any level currently.

We may aswell forget this year now and re-focus on oh12.

It's time for a radical call by Mayo football. I for 1 after this year would drop all players over the age of 24 outright from the Mayo panel / senior set up. I don't care who they are. Start from scratch with a gang of young lads and train them in football and forget all this fitness and weights craze.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Tubberman

Quote from: highorlow on June 01, 2011, 02:02:49 PM
QuoteWhen you fail in succesive years to beat Sligo and Longford and London forces you to extra time then shuffling the sad pack we have wont do the trick

This was my point on another thread and I got a roasting for it. We don't have the natural footballers, bar a few like Dillion, O'Shea, Doherty and Moran, on the panel and the correct skill set to contest at any level currently.

We may aswell forget this year now and re-focus on oh12.

It's time for a radical call by Mayo football. I for 1 after this year would drop all players over the age of 24 outright from the Mayo panel / senior set up. I don't care who they are. Start from scratch with a gang of young lads and train them in football and forget all this fitness and weights craze.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AbbeySider

Quote from: highorlow on June 01, 2011, 02:02:49 PM

ah stop.... 3 and a half hours earlier you said:

Quote from: highorlow on June 01, 2011, 10:30:05 AM
We would be aswell to start the O'Shea brothers in mid-field the next day, trevor mort at CHF, and howley at full back and bring back Geraghty. I would start Gardiner and McLoughlin also. Luck enough that panels are so big these days.

First your on about having most of the old guard back (Trev, Geraghty, SOS, Gardnier etc) and now your on about cutting everyone over 24 years of age?

We dont need to argue with you at all, your doing fine all by yourself!  :D

highorlow

Read my comments before posting any criticism. What I have said is...

QuoteWe may aswell forget this year now and re-focus on oh12.

QuoteI for 1 after this year would drop all players over the age of 24 outright from the Mayo panel / senior set up.

The 3 and a half hours earlier quote was in relation to this year and to try and avoid another humiliation to the hands of Wicklow or Offaly or the like in the back door because if we stick to what we have that's what is going to happen.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go