Front or back door for All Ireland success?

Started by Blowitupref, May 11, 2011, 06:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you reckon gives your team a better chance to win the All Ireland?

Front Door
11 (44%)
Back Door
9 (36%)
We'll do well to win a game!
5 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Blowitupref

Galway,Cork & Kerry have won All Irelands coming in the back door & Down almost did it last year
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

Yes how did i forget those bearded Tyrone men.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Farrandeelin

If Mayo can win an AI by going in any door I'd be a happy man :), however in my opinion, front door will always be no 1 with me.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Front door ,back door, in the window, down the chimney , a bye to the Final .... Who gives a tuppent **** if Sam is coming home on the 3rd Monday of September   8) 8)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

I'm a traditionalist so front door>unbeaten>All Ireland champions. though saying that.. I'm with the last two poster & won't complain if we won it through the back door.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Tubberman

Jesus, any Mayo person would go through any door or wall you want if it meant Sam Maguire would be brought back to Castlebar.
Traditionally (well, since the back door came in), we do much better when we win Connacht, so I'd say the front door.
Ideally, you'd like to go unbeaten so the front door would be anyone's preference.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

maddog

PAULD123

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 11, 2011, 06:58:00 PM
Galway,Cork & Kerry have won All Irelands coming in the back door & Down almost did it last year

It doesn't matter if we got to the final we didn't win it. However since qualifiers began there have been ten finals. Six have been won by back-door teams. Starkly, this includes the last three finals in a row!

Kerry Mike

I have sampled both doors, the front door has a much better view, the back door can take you to all sorts of god forsaken places that you might never get to see but thats interesting too.

But however you get to the 3rd Sunday in September and when you have that big Silver Bucket in your grasp around 5.30 that evening you won't give one continental fiddler's shite, no one will be talking about doors, only getting into a pub that won't close their doors that night !!
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

AZOffaly

Lads I couldn't give a shite if we staged a holdup in Moneygall and robbed Sam off the Kerry lads on the way home. If Sam or Liam comes to Offaly, I couldn't care less whether it's through the front door, back door, side door or service entrance.

seafoid

I don't think the provincial winners medals have any bearing on the 3rd Sunday in September. 
Sometimes getting knocked out early is a wonderful wake up call. Galway lost to Roscommon in June 01 and by early August  they wiped the floor with them.   Which prepared the way for the putting of Meath to the sword. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Greenabovethered

I'm a purest, front door or nothing for me.  A back door all Ireland is one that will forever have an * over it.

Kerry Mike

QuoteLads I couldn't give a shite if we staged a holdup in Moneygall and robbed Sam off the Kerry lads on the way home

The last time ye fecking pulled that stunt, getting as far as Moneygall would have been a fine thing !!

Better be carefull of using the words "Moneygall" and "Hold Up" in the same thread, you never know what Big Brother USA might be looking at for the next few weeks  ;)
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

rrhf

People who wish for front door success only must realise that whilst the back door aint perfect, the front door with some counties playing less games than others is equally if not more imperfect (or less perfect).  There is a strong arguement to suggest that since the backdoor came in, the teams who have won the ai regardless of route have been the best team that year, having overcome the best that others could come up with, at least once and sometimes twice.  Armagh and Derry people tend to think that a front door win is the only show in town, well it is for them i suppose.