Connacht SFC Q/Final London v Mayo 29.5.11 in Ruislip

Started by RedandGreenSniper, April 12, 2011, 01:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

QuoteMayo complacent

Nothing to do with complacency. It's the players and skill set that was wrong. JH needs to drop at 7 to 10 players from that starting team / panel. In fact a team that goes out and disgraces the jersey the way they did on Sunday all need to be dropped aka the Mayo team v Sligo (and lost) in the 70's. However that is too much a nuclear option in the modern era.

Its probably too late in the day to recruit a whole new panel so he might just have to do a Mick O'Dwyer this year and leave the 7 to 10 poor players on the bench for the rest of the season.

Bottom line is we still don't have a championship standard full back line, midfield, CHB, CHF or full forward.

We would be aswell to start the O'Shea brothers in mid-field the next day, trevor mort at CHF, and howley at full back and bring back Geraghty. I would start Gardiner and McLoughlin also. Luck enough that panels are so big these days.

p.s If someone can re-edit this topic to Connacht SFC Q/Final London v Mayo 29.5.11 in Ruislip only people who attend the match can comment this will clarify things.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

AbbeySider

Quote from: highorlow on June 01, 2011, 10:30:05 AM
QuoteMayo complacent

Nothing to do with complacency. It's the players and skill set that was wrong. JH needs to drop at 7 to 10 players from that starting team / panel. In fact a team that goes out and disgraces the jersey the way they did on Sunday all need to be dropped aka the Mayo team v Sligo (and lost) in the 70's. However that is too much a nuclear option in the modern era.

Its probably too late in the day to recruit a whole new panel so he might just have to do a Mick O'Dwyer this year and leave the 7 to 10 poor players on the bench for the rest of the season.

Ah you winding us up now !  ;)

Bottom line is we still don't have a championship standard full back line, midfield, CHB, CHF or full forward.
Total exaggeration

Full back: Alan Feeney (probably Higgins in one corner and we have options in the other)
Center back: Maybe Ger Cafferkey
Midfield: McGarity and Aidan O Shea
Center Forward: Alan Dillon
Full Forward: Alan Freeman

We would be aswell to start the O'Shea brothers in mid-field the next day, trevor mort at CHF, and howley at full back and bring back Geraghty. I would start Gardiner and McLoughlin also. Luck enough that panels are so big these days.
Howley full back? You just lost all credibility

p.s If someone can re-edit this topic to Connacht SFC Q/Final London v Mayo 29.5.11 in Ruislip only people who attend the match can comment this will clarify things.
Finally we agree, you just redeemed yourself again

highorlow

QuoteHowley full back? You just lost all credibility

Almost as incredible as playing him as a sweeper against London.

QuoteTotal exaggeration

If its a total exaggeration then you need not have bothered listing out. You are doubting your own opinion. I'm not.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ballinaman on June 01, 2011, 10:11:54 AM
Quote from: highorlow on June 01, 2011, 09:57:02 AM
QuoteAye after being relegated I doubt we would be cocksure of beating anyone let alone Mayo on their own patch.

If ye can't beat a team that couldn't beat a group of part timers then ye should pack in the football and concentrate on the hurling full time. Dosn't matter if the match is in castlebar or caslegar, Galway by double scores.
Perhaps it was attitudes like that that made Mayo complacent in the first place? Team with former Dr Crokes players should never have been taken that lightly.

I think you are dead right about this. I'd go further and say that this is a young and relatgively inexperienced team and the lads picked up the vibes from the fans.
I was back in Mayo over the weekend and it's fair to say that anyone I met, who had any interest at all in the game,  was taking the result for granted. Mind you, I also expected Mayo to win with a bit to spare.
Down at home, same as  here, there was consternation after the game and it was a case of doom and gloom all over the place.
IMO, this is a bit unfair and certainly won't help the team prepare for the Galway game. London proved to be better than anticipated and maybe too many of Mayo's young lads took the result  for granted and were looking forward to meeting up with old friends over there and having the craic.
Whatever the reason for the way we played, it's history now and it's time to get behind the lads as the Galway gane gets closer.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

AbbeySider

Quote from: highorlow on June 01, 2011, 10:59:41 AM
QuoteHowley full back? You just lost all credibility
Almost as incredible as playing him as a sweeper against London.
Not quite that incredible actually, it would be incredible to play Howley fullback though.

I dont know if the word sweeper was the term of the role Howley seemed to play. A sweeper would sweep in front of a back line but Howley spent all his time around or just behind midfield. Im not sure if he had a roving role which worked for him against Antrim in Kiltimagh or not but he certainly wasnt helping out the defence or fullback line.

In any case it didnt really work as he wasnt getting in on the breaks and his man was causing damage. However there are days when it may work better, like the times we were crying out for a sweeper against Kerry in 04 and 06.

QuoteTotal exaggeration
If its a total exaggeration then you need not have bothered listing out. You are doubting your own opinion. I'm not.
I was listing examples to disprove what you said.

By your logic, I could say with confidence that to bring back McDonald will win Mayo an All Ireland and argue that whoever lists reasons I am wrong are doubting their own opinion? Thats hilarious!

So Im saying it....

Bring back McDanger and Sam Maguire is coming home to Mayo!  :D
(by the way of anyone disagrees with me and starts listing reasons then they are doubting their own opinion so dont bother  ;)

Davitt Man

The Committee Room - Tonight

Marty is joined in studio by Mayo footballer Conor Mortimer, who is currently nursing himself back to full fitness after undergoing a cruciate knee operation. He will share his thoughts on the Mayo versus London game at the weekend as well as what is occupying him away from the pitch.

The Committee Room is broadcast live on RTÉ Two at 8.00pm tonight, Wednesday.

muppet

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 01, 2011, 11:42:45 AM

Bring back McDanger and Sam McGuire is coming home to Mayo:D
(by the way of anyone disagrees with me and starts listing reasons then they are doubting their own opinion so dont bother  ;) )

Where does he play?
MWWSI 2017

Tubberman

Quote from: Davitt Man on June 01, 2011, 01:34:32 PM
The Committee Room - Tonight

Marty is joined in studio by Mayo footballer Conor Mortimer, who is currently nursing himself back to full fitness after undergoing a cruciate knee operation. He will share his thoughts on the Mayo versus London game at the weekend as well as what is occupying him away from the pitch.

The Committee Room is broadcast live on RTÉ Two at 8.00pm tonight, Wednesday.

Brutal programme, but can't miss MJ Mort lettin' loose!  :D
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

highorlow

QuoteRT @Conmort: Am on the new GAA show on RTE at 8 bells wednsday night . Tune in should be interesting #mayogaa

Aye he tweeted on the club mayo dublin website that he was on this.

seafoid

Jesus, the Mayo nihilism thread sprouted early this year. It couldn't even wait until June. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on June 01, 2011, 10:28:53 PM
Jesus, the Mayo nihilism thread sprouted early this year. It couldn't even wait until June.

The Galway lack of accuracy has arrived. It already is June.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on June 01, 2011, 10:57:09 PM

The Galway lack of accuracy has arrived. It already is June.
Noblesse oblige  ;)

The moaning and self loathing are already evident on page 30 which predates June.

moysider

Aye, and our team could barely wait around until June either  :)

Seriously though, not sure about nihilism but it is all very bizarre. And I m not sure which is more bizarre - the performance in London or the reaction to it. I also think that it is off the mark to lump together the 'Horan Review' rejection by the board and all that has gone wrong on the pitch together.

seafoid

Quote from: moysider on June 01, 2011, 11:01:29 PM

Seriously though, not sure about nihilism but it is all very bizarre. And I m not sure which is more bizarre - the performance in London or the reaction to it. I also think that it is off the mark to lump together the Horan review rejection by the board and all that has gone wrong together.

I agree. I think it is over the top.  Mayo were quite good in the league.
They were much better than Galway. Why would it all go to pot now ? 

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on June 01, 2011, 11:03:21 PM
Quote from: moysider on June 01, 2011, 11:01:29 PM

Seriously though, not sure about nihilism but it is all very bizarre. And I m not sure which is more bizarre - the performance in London or the reaction to it. I also think that it is off the mark to lump together the Horan review rejection by the board and all that has gone wrong together.

I agree. I think it is over the top.  Mayo were quite good in the league.
They were much better than Galway. Why would it all go to pot now ?

It shouldn t and I dont think it will. No reason why it should. There has been a good shape of a team there during the Spring when a certain combination of players was on the field, maybe - 33% of the time. The Ruislip team bore little resemblance to that, due to a combination of injury and maybe the management wanting to use the game look again at players. There is a very good team there if we get it on the pitch.