The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: johnnycool on November 05, 2020, 08:28:19 AM
What's this shít about news networks "calling it" in certain states?

Is this just them trying to get the jump on their competitors or what?

No- some claims it impacts turnout

For example, the Republicans would claim that Florida should have been called for them early (and it wasn't)

If it had gotten called, and the polls were still open in AZ and NV, then that encouraging sign would help drive their supporters to the polls in greater numbers

johnnycool

Quote from: whitey on November 05, 2020, 11:33:47 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on November 05, 2020, 08:28:19 AM
What's this shít about news networks "calling it" in certain states?

Is this just them trying to get the jump on their competitors or what?

No- some claims it impacts turnout

For example, the Republicans would claim that Florida should have been called for them early (and it wasn't)

If it had gotten called, and the polls were still open in AZ and NV, then that encouraging sign would help drive their supporters to the polls in greater numbers

The Brits don't get much right but their moratorium on reporting polls and the likes on election day is right as fake news being reported could sway the less vigourous voter from going to vote.

Think theres also a moratorium in the south too IIRC.

RedHand88

Its a sensitive issue when you're voting across 4 (or technically 6) time zones. Folks out west can see how states in the east have voted before even going to the polls themselves!
In reality they should have to wait until hawaii have closed their polls, but that will never happen

LCohen

That Paula White s the quare girl. That footage of her is doing Trump a lot of good. He did after all see fit to appoint her. I know some want 4 more years of this batshit but come on

sid waddell

Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 05, 2020, 12:23:33 AM
Kayleigh McEnany on Fox news now, the very definition of a blonde bimbo.
Don't think that sort of language helps, there's more than enough about her horrible politics and her horriible, arrogant, manner to ridicule

That said, Republicans really do have an almost creepy fetish for pushing women who look like McEnany and have her horrible manner out front and centre

Quote from: whitey on November 05, 2020, 12:35:42 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 05, 2020, 12:23:33 AM
Kayleigh McEnany on Fox news now, the very definition of a blonde bimbo.

Georgetown , Oxford University and Harvard Law

She must have a few brain cells to rub together
Oh I've no doubt she's not stupid

But she's a peddler of a fantasy world of make believe that is designed to serve fascist kleptocracy

She does not believe any of the nonsense she spouts and is merely doing it out of a deep hatred of the poor and minorities, a total lack of principle and moral fibre, and shameless careerism and notoriety

If she did believe any of the nonsense she spouts, well, that would certainly make her thick as shit

But she doesn't believe it, does she

Corkscrew

This could drag out. This will come down to the non-radioactive isotope watermark on official ballots. Rest will be weeded out.

sid waddell

Quote from: LCohen on November 05, 2020, 11:58:14 AM
That Paula White s the quare girl. That footage of her is doing Trump a lot of good. He did after all see fit to appoint her. I know some want 4 more years of this batshit but come on
Paula White is the true essence of Trumpism

It really is a cult

It's like ISIS

screenexile

Nobody is really mentioning it but is there a chance these legal challenges could affect things in Pennsylvania or Georgia??

J70

Quote from: screenexile on November 05, 2020, 12:11:06 PM
Nobody is really mentioning it but is there a chance these legal challenges could affect things in Pennsylvania or Georgia??

Unlikely from what I've read.

One might get past one judge, but then there'll be an appeal and so on and on.

Apparently Trump himself is less than impressed with the challenges, questioning why now, AFTER the election.

He must have missed all the losses last week I guess.

All that said, you never know what one of these Trump judges might do.

J70

Apparently 25K more votes left in GA, with Trump 18K ahead.

Hard to see Biden getting enough of those to win.

This f**ker's going to come down to PA.

Anyone else getting nervous about Trump eking out another razor-thin series of victories across multiple states like he did four years ago?

delgany

Quote from: J70 on November 05, 2020, 12:29:19 PM

Anyone else getting nervous about Trump eking out another razor-thin series of victories across multiple states like he did four years ago?

Georgia is crucial . 60K votes for 3rd candidate- Jorgensen could be the difference for Trump hanging on but Atlanta could get Biden over the line

bennydorano

Biden us 1/5 to win on Oddschecker, that looks fairly solid.

Boycey

Quote from: bennydorano on November 05, 2020, 12:47:16 PM

1/7 in places or tighter but bear in mind when I gave up on it and went to bed on Tuesday night Trump was in a similar spot

Maiden1

Quote from: bennydorano on November 05, 2020, 12:47:16 PM
Saw that.  Surely has to be as close to a cert as can get.  Half tempted to cash all my imaginary ISAs and stick everything on Biden.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: J70 on November 05, 2020, 12:29:19 PM

NYT tracker I'm looking at right now has Trump less than 20k in the lead with 96% of 4.9m votes counted - so there should be about 200k left? Though I appreciate that might have been as of an hour or two ago.

If the Republican senator there drops beneath 50% of votes (looks possible) then there's a run off in January for his seat (might that be the extra seat the Dems need?).