FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

mouview

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on March 31, 2021, 11:28:23 AM
Qatar are the current Asian champions, having beaten Saudi Arabia, South Korea, and Japan on the way to that title - all World Cup regulars. They're ranked in the mid-50s in the world, just about a dozen places below Ireland and in and about the likes of Israel, Finland and Bulgaria - countries that we've always struggled with, under every manager. Anyone expecting us to rock up and trounce them just hasn't being paying attention to the trajectory of either country over recent years.

It begs the question, how can we be ranked so highly? It must be gravity alone keeping us afloat.

shark

Quote from: mouview on March 31, 2021, 12:20:32 PM
Qatar are the current Asian champions, having beaten Saudi Arabia, South Korea, and Japan on the way to that title - all World Cup regulars. They're ranked in the mid-50s in the world, just about a dozen places below Ireland and in and about the likes of Israel, Finland and Bulgaria - countries that we've always struggled with, under every manager. Anyone expecting us to rock up and trounce them just hasn't being paying attention to the trajectory of either country over recent years.

It begs the question, how can we be ranked so highly? It must be gravity alone keeping us afloat.

4 year time span. The good start made to the 2018 qualification is now out of scope, so can expect a rapid drop in places.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: mouview on March 31, 2021, 12:20:32 PM

Its a rolling 4 years and we didn't lose many games back then. It will fall fast over the next 28 months

Rudi

German manager contacting Mick McCarthy to see if he has got any "I had a Macedonia" T-Shitrts for his players.

Angelo

Chris Sutton destroyed that eejit Ken Early on radio during the week.

The lengths the Irish football journalist clique are going to excuse Kenny is beyond belief.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Angelo on April 01, 2021, 01:13:09 PM

The lengths the Irish football journalist clique are going to excuse Kenny is beyond belief.

Its not Kenny's fault
Its in no particular order

The players
Covid
The weather
The size of the pitch
Every Irish manager since Eoin Hand
John Delaney
The FAI
No fans
The physios
Qatar and Luxembourg becoming Brazil on the sly
The press
The pundits
The draw.
He is just unlucky

I mean the list goes on and on. There might be about 2 ie Delaney and the FAI that have some merit the rest is a load of shit. The unlucky one really gets me. If he really is that unlucky then even more reason to get him the fook out

Angelo

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on April 01, 2021, 01:24:47 PM

Its not Kenny's fault

The players
Covid
The weather
The size of the pitch
John Delaney
The FAI
No fans
The physios
The press
The pundits
The draw.
He is just unlucky

I mean the list goes on and on. There might be about 2 ie Delaney and the FAI that have some merit the rest is a load of shit. The unlucky one really gets me. If he really is that unlucky then even more reason to get him the fook out

The same crew have had the pitchforks out for Trap, MON and McCarthy for the past decade when they were pulling off some big results against better teams with a squad not notably more talented or capable.

That's the Ireland team that beat Italy in the Euros.

At that time you had:

Randolph - back up keeper for West Ham
Coleman - regular at Everton
Duffy - regular at Blackburn in the Championship
Keogh - regular at Derby in the Championsip
Ward - bit part player at Burnley in the Championship
Hendrick - regular for Derby in the Championship
McCarthy - regular at Everton
Brady - just got relegated for second season in succession at Norwich (Hull the season before)
McClean - regular at West Brom
Murphy - regular at Ipswich in the Championship
Long - regular at Southampton

Half the outfield players were Championship players then.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Angelo on April 01, 2021, 01:34:20 PM

Its not Kenny's fault

The players
Covid
The weather
The size of the pitch
John Delaney
The FAI
No fans
The physios
The press
The pundits
The draw.
He is just unlucky

The same crew have had the pitchforks out for Trap, MON and McCarthy for the past decade when they were pulling off some big results against better teams with a squad not notably more talented or capable.

At that time you had:

Brady - just got relegated for second season in succession at Norwich (Hull the season before)

italy had already qualified and rested 8 starters that night remember

JPGJOHNNYG

The players are poor but exactly that point Mick had the same squad to deal with and yes the football was dung to watch but compared to the last 11 results it was total football. Yes they struggled to score against Gibraltar but they won and they got results against Denmark and Switzerland which now look miraculous. In isolation some of the results under Kenny could be passed as unlucky etc etc but not after 11 matches and zero to show.

bigarsedkeeper

Its not Kenny's fault

The players
Covid
The weather
The size of the pitch
John Delaney
The FAI
No fans
The physios
The press
The pundits
The draw.
He is just unlucky

At that time you had:

Was MON getting much stick at that time? They weren't great in most games in that tournament but compared to Traps euros it was a relative success. I know it all went to shit towards the end of MON's (and nearly every manager they've had) time.

Angelo

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on April 01, 2021, 01:42:13 PM

Its not Kenny's fault

The players
Covid
The weather
The size of the pitch
John Delaney
The FAI
No fans
The physios
The press
The pundits
The draw.
He is just unlucky

At that time you had:

italy had already qualified and rested 8 starters that night remember

Great.

That squad actually qualified for the Euros though beating the then World Champions enroute to qualification.

clarshack

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on April 01, 2021, 01:53:08 PM
Was MON getting much stick at that time? They weren't great in most games in that tournament but compared to Traps euros it was a relative success. I know it all went to shit towards the end of MON's (and nearly every manager they've had) time.

Apart from his last year MON's reign was successful enough iirc

Armagh18

Its not Kenny's fault

The players
Covid
The weather
The size of the pitch
John Delaney
The FAI
No fans
The physios
The press
The pundits
The draw.
He is just unlucky

The players, the FAI and John Delaney are all valid reasons. I'd be critical of Kenny but the issues go far deeper. I wouldnt sack him

Angelo

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on April 01, 2021, 01:53:08 PM

Its not Kenny's fault

The players
Covid
The weather
The size of the pitch
John Delaney
The FAI
No fans
The physios
The press
The pundits
The draw.
He is just unlucky

At that time you had:

From the Irish football journalist clique it was pretty relentless.
The same crowd who were on Trap's back from the start and also with McCarthy.

The same crowd who are falling over themselves trying to make excuses for Kenny.