FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulick

Don't know that much about the form of those teams but Slovakia look to have the tougher run-in. So why was this being billed as a "must win".

laoislad

Quote from: Ulick on September 02, 2011, 10:02:03 PM
Don't know that much about the form of those teams but Slovakia look to have the tougher run-in. So why was this being billed as a "must win".

In terms of qualifying automatically it probably was a must win tonight.
Playoffs as good as we can hope for now I reckon unless a miracle happens in Moscow
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AFS

Quote from: laoislad on September 02, 2011, 10:04:11 PM

Playoffs as good as we can hope for now I reckon unless a miracle happens in Moscow

Yeah, top spot is out of the question without winning in Russia, which is extremely unlikely given Ireland's away form in the last... well, for as long as I can remember. Need a draw in Russia for second spot too, which wouldn't have been necessary with a win tonight. Bad result, although the real damage was probably done in Slovakia when we had them on the rack and couldn't put them away.

Capt Pat

We lost against Russia at home. So we should lose the away game as well. We really needed a win tonight to ensure a playoff and the chance of topping the group. We are in trouble now.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AFS on September 02, 2011, 10:36:51 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 02, 2011, 10:04:11 PM

Yeah, top spot is out of the question without winning in Russia, which is extremely unlikely given Ireland's away form in the last... well, for as long as I can remember. Need a draw in Russia for second spot too, which wouldn't have been necessary with a win tonight. Bad result, although the real damage was probably done in Slovakia when we had them on the rack and couldn't put them away.

Familiar story.

Shamrock Shore

Sadly I was right in my earlier prediction.

The Pipe band were awful, Ireland were awful, in fact, everything was awful.

Can we sell McGeady off back to Scotland or Russia. He has never cut it at this level and never will.

NetNitrate

As bad as the performance was, the Irish supporters showed themselves as nothing but a gang of gobshites to boo the team.

The Worker

Quote from: NetNitrate on September 03, 2011, 09:56:44 PM
As bad as the performance was, the Irish supporters showed themselves as nothing but a gang of gobshites to boo the team.

were you at the game?

only a small minority booed

Orangemac

Quote from: SHEEDY on September 02, 2011, 09:57:23 PM
hunt should have been on at least 10 mins earlier, mcgeady was obviously tiring. disappointing night, we need to get at least a draw in moscow. st ledger will be a big miss. think this ireland team is better equipped for getting results away from home, heres hoping.
Would agree on this last point. Team is better set up to play on the break, when they have to break a team down there is no creativity in midfiled. Hunt should definitely start.

Draw on Tuesday and wins from last 2 games should clinch 2nd. Don't think Slovakia will win all their games but given the lack of quality in a lot of positions it would hard to win a play off, maybe against the likes of Norway would be the best bet.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

red hander

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 03, 2011, 12:19:08 AM
Sadly I was right in my earlier prediction.

The Pipe band were awful, Ireland were awful, in fact, everything was awful.

Can we sell McGeady off back to Scotland or Russia. He has never cut it at this level and never will.

Not everything was awful ... the large number of female Slovakian fans were lovely

Blowitupref

Team to play Russia, Shay Given, Stephen Kelly, Richard Dunne, Darren O'Dea, Stephen Ward, Damien Duff, Glenn Whelan, Keith Andrews, Aidan McGeady, Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

J OGorman

Russia have been ropey enough since the match @ Lansdowne. But I'd tend to agree with LL, will be good going to get a draw, a win and 3 points would be unreal

Plus, cannot believe an international football match of this importance is allowed to be played on a plastic pitch. What next, playing with a half pumped ball?

'mon to feck Ireland!

AFS

Russia were as useless as ourselves last Friday, so there's a bit of hope to cling onto in that. This is turning out to be a pretty shite group.