Ulster venue to host International Rules first test in 2013

Started by BennyCake, January 31, 2013, 01:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Ulster venue should host the first Rules test in 2013?

Athletic Grounds, Armagh
Breffni Park, Cavan
Celtic Park, Derry
Pairc Esler, Newry

BennyCake

What are your thoughts on the next International Rules series coming to Ulster? According to yesterdays Irish News, four venues are being considered, with Breffni Park looking the favourite to host the first test in October.

Which venue would you like to see host it? And why?

fitzroyalty

I would have thought the Athletic Grounds or Newry be the best bet. Why on earth have it in Breffni Park?

tommysmith

Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 31, 2013, 01:50:13 PM
I would have thought the Athletic Grounds or Newry be the best bet. Why on earth have it in Breffni Park?

Why not?

rodney trotter

Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 31, 2013, 01:50:13 PM

Apart from the fact that Breffni holds 32,000 and the Athletic grounds holds 16,500. Newry holds 20,000. Probaly wouldn't get 32,000 tickets sold, but Breffni would be the most likely.

fitzroyalty

Not that accessible would you not say? What's the point in having it in a 32,000 stadium when it will probably be half empty?

rodney trotter

Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 31, 2013, 02:02:17 PM
Not that accessible would you not say? What's the point in having it in a 32,000 stadium when it will probably be half empty?

Not that accessible as in for the rest of Ulster? Its the Irish team, people from other parts of Ireland might go and watch it, if somebody from Galway was going, it would be easier than going to Armagh. The stadium is never full, too big,they must have been expecting bumper crowds when it was developed.

LeoMc

It wouldn't just be for Ulster supporters. Breiffne would be a lot more accessible for Sligo, Mayo, Leitrim, Longford, etc.

Rossfan

Have it in Breffni Park please.
Sure going by this Board nobody in Ulster has any interest in the Intl Rules anyway... going by all the disparaging references to it here plus Micky Harte's rubbishing of it.  :-*
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

fitzroyalty

Quote from: LeoMc on January 31, 2013, 02:11:33 PM
It wouldn't just be for Ulster supporters. Breiffne would be a lot more accessible for Sligo, Mayo, Leitrim, Longford, etc.
I realise that. In the same way that Armagh/Newry would be a lot more accessible for Armagh, Antrim, Tyrone, Derry, Down, Louth etc.
Just don't see much point in hosting it in Ulster if it's going to be i one of the least accessible parts of the province!

rodney trotter

Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 31, 2013, 02:35:55 PM
I realise that. In the same way that Armagh/Newry would be a lot more accessible for Armagh, Antrim, Tyrone, Derry, Down, Louth etc.
Just don't see much point in hosting it in Ulster if it's going to be i one of the least accessible parts of the province!

How is it least accessible, Armagh to Cavan is an hour an 10 minutes, Armagh to Derry is 1 hour 35 minutes, Louth is an1  hour 20 minutes from Cavan. Cavan to Newy is 1-30minutes. That is still the same distance as Sligo and Roscommon both 1 hour -30 minutes give or take. Galway is 2 hours 10 minutes.

Rossfan

Is there latent partitionism afoot from some of our contributors?  :P
Is Cavan not "real " Ulster?

Anyway 32,000 capacity against 16/18/20 is surely the clincher here.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tommysmith

While it can hold 32,000 i think that the H&S crowd have it limited to some thing like 24,000.

And yes Rossfan i think some think that we are not real Ulster down here.

BennyCake

Personally, I'd prefer it in Armagh or Newry. Better roads in and out than there is in Cavan.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 31, 2013, 02:58:09 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 31, 2013, 02:35:55 PM

How is it least accessible, Armagh to Cavan is an hour an 10 minutes, Armagh to Derry is 1 hour 35 minutes, Louth is an1  hour 20 minutes from Cavan. Cavan to Newy is 1-30minutes. That is still the same distance as Sligo and Roscommon both 1 hour -30 minutes give or take. Galway is 2 hours 10 minutes.
Quote from: Rossfan on January 31, 2013, 03:03:32 PM

Is there latent partitionism afoot from some of our contributors?  :P
Is Cavan not "real " Ulster?

Anyway 32,000 capacity against 16/18/20 is surely the clincher here.
Just because Cavan is closer to Connacht does not make it more accessible! Galway had it a few years ago, that was hardly accessible to the whole of the island.
Newry is on the main aerterial route between the two major population centres on this island. Armagh is 20 mins away from that.

People will be more inclined to go to a game if it's just an hour driving on motorway/dual carriageway. If it's some oul trek across poorer roads they might not be as keen to travel!

PS if we're discussing partitionist attitudes, I do believe rodney trotter got upset at a so-called 'Northern' ref in the Ulster intermediate late last year!