Unpaid M50 toll - advice needed!

Started by gallsman, December 04, 2012, 08:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Called down to my old house today to pick up some post. There was a series of communications from e-Flow and finally one from Pierse & Fitzgibbon solicitors in Listowel regarding an unpaid M50 toll from August. Given escalations, the fine is now nearly €150.

They were sending letters to my old address as that's where the car was last registered (they use the tax database to take the address). I moved house on the 3rd of July and never got around to changing the registered address of the car as, frankly, down here it's an absolute pain in the hole which involves filling out various forms and sending them off to Shannon. You can only update online when paying your motor tax (not due until February). I have previously paid a fine of €3 for a separate incident when the notification letter arrived at the house I was living at, if that will stand to me at all.

Have I any chance of getting away with it or will I just have to bite the bullet and pony up?

DuffleKing

Quote from: gallsman on December 04, 2012, 08:55:37 PM
Called down to my old house today to pick up some post. There was a series of communications from e-Flow and finally one from Pierse & Fitzgibbon solicitors in Listowel regarding an unpaid M50 toll from August. Given escalations, the fine is now nearly €150.

They were sending letters to my old address as that's where the car was last registered (they use the tax database to take the address). I moved house on the 3rd of July and never got around to changing the registered address of the car as, frankly, down here it's an absolute pain in the hole which involves filling out various forms and sending them off to Shannon. You can only update online when paying your motor tax (not due until February). I have previously paid a fine of €3 for a separate incident when the notification letter arrived at the house I was living at, if that will stand to me at all.

Have I any chance of getting away with it or will I just have to bite the bullet and pony up?

If you don't live or work in the south you can happily ignore, irrespective of scare tactics or solicitor letters

the Deel Rover

Quote from: gallsman on December 04, 2012, 08:55:37 PM

Happened to me a while ago ,  it didn't go as far as the letter from the solicitors but i had received the 2nd warning letter where the fine had got to €46 each way €92 euro in total . Anyway rang the tolls number explained that i had not received the post as i had been out of the country for a few weeks . The girl i was speaking to was very helpfull checked that i had not done this before and allowed me to settle for €12. There is a section on the boards.ie about similiar situations and they have representives on there as well.   
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

gallsman

Rang them this morning and they agreed that I could just pay the standard fine of €3 along with the unpaid toll of €3 on the condition that I registered with them (the guy on the phone knew the story and it's clearly the protocol - the "only way" he could do it was if I agreed to register).

Because it got as far as the solicitor I had to pay them €46. Could have been worse I guess.

amallon

I've been using the M50 toll a few times a year since etoll came in and have never paid.  Should I expect something in the post sooner or later?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

T Fearon

For peace of mind register with Eflow.All you need is your car erg and credit card no.You get a statement every mail,whether you pass the toll or not,and save money as the cost of each passing is 50 cents less than the actual cost per journey and you get loads of retail offers as well as complete peace of mind.

5 Sams

No call to register with E Flow. Every garage in Ireland sells M50 tickets. When you need one buy one. Simple.
The Aristocrat Years

T Fearon

Yeah true.It's far more convenient to buy tokens at full price for every journey rather than simply registering once with Eflow and have your credit card automatically charged at a lesser rate for every use and a monthly statement by email ::)

oakleafgael

Quote from: T Fearon on December 05, 2012, 10:32:58 PM
Yeah true.It's far more convenient to buy tokens at full price for every journey rather than simply registering once with Eflow and have your credit card automatically charged at a lesser rate for every use and a monthly statement by email ::)

Its handier again to just sail on through and not worry about it.

comethekingdom

For the few times a yr that I'd use the m50 I have registered with eflow and it's a great job - €2.50 each time as worrying about forgetting to pay 3 quid in a shop is hard to beat!

T Fearon

I prefer contributing to the upkeep of my country's infrastructure,and peace of mind! ;D

T Fearon

Exactly cometothekingdom.But don't forget,according to some it's far more convenient to buy tokens at full price for every single journey ::)

johnneycool

Quote from: T Fearon on December 05, 2012, 10:50:50 PM
I prefer contributing to the upkeep of my country's infrastructure,and peace of mind! ;D

You'll also be lining the pockets of foreign investors as the M50 toll is a public private partnership, but the right and honest thing to do.

orangeman

Sound like this driver needs more than a bit of advice -

A brazen driver owes the State more than €155,000 for refusing to the pay the M50 toll fee, despite travelling on the busy road 1,018 times last year.

This motorist was just one of the hundreds who didn't pay the toll fee after travelling through the barrier-free collection point on the M50 in 2014, costing the State a potential €5m in revenue.
Almost €100m was collected from the 43 million journeys which were made through the toll point on the M50 in Dublin in 2014, according to the National Roads Authority (NRA).

From the Indo

Hardy

Quote from: orangeman on July 06, 2015, 08:54:43 AM
Sound like this driver needs more than a bit of advice -

A brazen driver owes the State more than €155,000 for refusing to the pay the M50 toll fee, despite travelling on the busy road 1,018 times last year.

This motorist was just one of the hundreds who didn't pay the toll fee after travelling through the barrier-free collection point on the M50 in 2014, costing the State a potential €5m in revenue.
Almost €100m was collected from the 43 million journeys which were made through the toll point on the M50 in Dublin in 2014, according to the National Roads Authority (NRA).

From the Indo

I have a certain amount of sympathy with him and a large amount of admiration for the dimensions of his testes, given how we were gang-raped three times by the state and the Roches with the M50 charges.

Oxi.