Wonders of the Universe

Started by gallsman, March 08, 2011, 12:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Anyone see this show last night? Professor Brian Cox's follow up to the excellent Wonders of the Solar System from last year.

Looks very good again.

ziggysego

Sky+ it. Looking forward to sitting down to watch it, hopefully tomorrow night.
Testing Accessibility

highorlow

It will never top an idiot abroad...
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

theskull1

A bit to much posing on top of things whilst the helicopter panned around him for my liking. Do we really need that much "style" to encourage people to absorb the "substance"? Maybe we do

Still enjoyed it though
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

deiseach

I can't watch it. Brian Cox's manner gets on my wick. Pity

Tony Baloney

Quote from: theskull1 on March 08, 2011, 11:51:30 AM
A bit to much posing on top of things whilst the helicopter panned around him for my liking. Do we really need that much "style" to encourage people to absorb the "substance"? Maybe we do

Still enjoyed it though
Same as that. He must have blown the BBC budget for the year. Did enjoy it even though some of the stuff would make your brain hurt.

Olly

Green eyed monster on this thread.

He's such a dreamboat.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Hardy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 08, 2011, 12:10:13 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on March 08, 2011, 11:51:30 AM

Still enjoyed it though
Same as that. He must have blown the BBC budget for the year. Did enjoy it even though some of the stuff would make your brain hurt.

That stuff gets irritating OK. I don't see the point in flying to South America just to walk along a beach towards a hill. The whole presentation style seems to be about scenery. It seems stupid to me to be showing panning shots of a mountain range while trying to explain entropy when you should be maximising the power of the visual medium you're using by deploying computer graphics and animation to illustrate the concept. 

As regards his personal presentation, he seems to be trying hard to lose the smirk, so a B+ for effort.

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on March 08, 2011, 02:52:34 PM
As regards his personal presentation, he seems to be trying hard to lose the smirk, so a B+ for effort.

Might give it a second chance then, previously he came across like a used car salesman

Hardy

A word of warning, though - he hasn't fully succeeded.

deiseach

When I'm driving around in a lovely litle mo'ar only ever owned by a little ol' lady who used it to go to the shops, then the exhaust falls off, I'll come gunning for you Hardy

AFS

Really like Brian Cox, unsettling smirk and all, but was disappointed by the show. While there was the odd interesting bit, far too much of the hour was taken up by very tenuously related scenes of glaciers and shipwrecks and turtles. Cox needs to lay off the Sagan DVDs too, there are only so many millions and billions that you can throw out there before people stop even trying to compute.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: highorlow on March 08, 2011, 11:28:09 AM
It will never top an idiot abroad...
Millions and billions?! He used the following sentence "It's 10,000 trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion years". He could have just said a long time - who can prove it will be that long?

bennydorano

Quote from: AFS on March 08, 2011, 05:57:31 PM
Really like Brian Cox, unsettling smirk and all, but was disappointed by the show. While there was the odd interesting bit, far too much of the hour was taken up by very tenuously related scenes of glaciers and shipwrecks and turtles. Cox needs to lay off the Sagan DVDs too, there are only so many millions and billions that you can throw out there before people stop even trying to compute.
As someone who watches anything cosmologically related on the Documentary channels I have to agree, I dont know how he's going to stretch it to four shows either, there's going to be some fierce padding.  Still a relaxing hour's viewing thou.

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: deiseach on March 08, 2011, 11:57:38 AM
I can't watch it. Brian Cox's manner gets on my wick. Pity

http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/

On the right hand side.. "Jon Culshaw mimics Ricky Gervais".. Does a good Brian Cox.