BBC Newsline - Flags

Started by gallsman, September 28, 2010, 06:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Did anyone just see that disgrace of a report on the status of what was referred to as the "Ulster Flag" (the Norn Iron fleg) on the news? At the start of the programme it was described as "as Ulster as Carson". It's astonishing some of the shit this programme continues to publicise. The report even paid a visit to the Union Jack Shop to get the insightful views of whoever the f**k the proprietor is.

News Worth Watching me hole.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: gallsman on September 28, 2010, 06:48:42 PM
Did anyone just see that disgrace of a report on the status of what was referred to as the "Ulster Flag" (the Norn Iron fleg) on the news? At the start of the programme it was described as "as Ulster as Carson". It's astonishing some of the shit this programme continues to publicise. The report even paid a visit to the Union Jack Shop to get the insightful views of whoever the f**k the proprietor is.

all local news is the same - you should see the shit that bes on the local news here....
missing cat was found, dustbin was stolen, flower pot was broken in outrageous act of vandalism - that type of thing...
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

gallsman

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 28, 2010, 06:51:42 PM

all local news is the same - you should see the shit that bes on the local news here....
missing cat was found, dustbin was stolen, flower pot was broken in outrageous act of vandalism - that type of thing...

I know and Newsline has always been shite, but this was f**king ridiculous. The constant references to it as the "Ulster Flag" were particularly grating.

Reporter walked about the streets of East Belfast somewhere with a potential design for a new flag (four white triangles - green, white, orange and blue with the Red Hand superimposed on it) asking pedestrians what they thought of it. One guy said he liked the Red Hand and then the reporter had a wee joke with him pointing out that there was also green, white and orange.

Hereiam

Don't watch bbc newsline anymore. Cannot stand it. As I have said before its as one sided as it comes.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on September 28, 2010, 06:59:20 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 28, 2010, 06:51:42 PM

I know and Newsline has always been shite, but this was f**king ridiculous. The constant references to it as the "Ulster Flag" were particularly grating.

Reporter walked about the streets of East Belfast somewhere with a potential design for a new flag (four white triangles - green, white, orange and blue with the Red Hand superimposed on it) asking pedestrians what they thought of it. One guy said he liked the Red Hand and then the reporter had a wee joke with him pointing out that there was also green, white and orange.
Seen the tail end of it and the reference to the Ulster flag was particularly annoying. You'd think the public service broadcaster would check a few facts and show that there is already a once yellow and red ulster flag and that what themmuns call the Ulster fleg is actually a Norn Iron flag not recognised by several hundred thousand residents of "Ulster".

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

swing-er-over

interesting topic though....if there is to be a united ireland, there most likely would have to be a new flag....(i know some ppl may dispute this) but its a sad reality

ziggysego

Caught the tail end of the piece. I was surprised to find that the shop owner, who primarily sells Norn Iron tat, didn't know the northern flag wasn't official.
Testing Accessibility

Hurler on the Bitch

The fleg of the Northern Ireland State became obsolete in 1972 with the end of Stormont. The flag of Ulster is of course the yellow and red one - good to see the rugger fans at Ravenhill giving it a go! Finally, 'as Ulster as Carson' ...? for a man born and educated in Dublin to an Anglo-Irish family, that's a bit rich. That's like saying as Irish as Daniel Day-Lewis or as Black as Michael Jackson or as Pure as Iris Robinson OR as Armaghish as Paddy O' Rourke.

T Fearon

Good God, some of you are easily offended! What the reporter, Conor Mc Cauley (a good Crossmaglen man) was explaining was the fact the North of Ireland flag (Ulster Flag) had no official status or recognition, and hasn't had since 1972 and emphasised that perhaps it was time for a new flag that would command cross community support. Surprise surprise a couple of people interviewed in East Belfast didn't like the green white and orange on one new design, one other was indifferent, and saliently the last interviewee said in his best John Hume imitation "You can't eat flags!"

I saw nothing to take umbrage with at all, the piece was informative particularly to unionists, in that it informed them that a flag they recognise and cherish has no official status whatsover. If anything it should raise a smile with nationalists far from causing offence

gallsman

Quote from: T Fearon on September 28, 2010, 09:36:32 PM
Good God, some of you are easily offended! What the reporter, Conor Mc Cauley (a good Crossmaglen man) was explaining was the fact the North of Ireland flag (Ulster Flag) had no official status or recognition, and hasn't had since 1972 and emphasised that perhaps it was time for a new flag that would command cross community support. Surprise surprise a couple of people interviewed in East Belfast didn't like the green white and orange on one new design, one other was indifferent, and saliently the last interviewee said in his best John Hume imitation "You can't eat flags!"

I saw nothing to take umbrage with at all, the piece was informative particularly to unionists, in that it informed them that a flag they recognise and cherish has no official status whatsover. If anything it should raise a smile with nationalists far from causing offence

The fact that the reporter is a "good Crossmaglen man" (what you really mean is because he's from Cross he's automatically goo) has no bearing on the matter. It was a shitty piece of journalism and a waste of taxpayer money.

ziggysego

It's local news, what else do you expect? Because of the Troubles, we haven't had to put up with this nonsense before. It's "... and finally" kind of stuff.
Testing Accessibility

gallsman

Quote from: ziggysego on September 28, 2010, 10:13:40 PM
It's local news, what else do you expect? Because of the Troubles, we haven't had to put up with this nonsense before. It's "... and finally" kind of stuff.

It was the second or third feature on the programme.

ziggysego

Quote from: gallsman on September 28, 2010, 10:21:15 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on September 28, 2010, 10:13:40 PM

It was the second or third feature on the programme.

What I meant was, the majority of local news could fit into "... and finally".
Testing Accessibility

winsamsoon

what was shocking about the piece was the fact that some guy is able to make a living out of selling union jacks and the rest( no tricolours of course). Just goes to show how bitter the other side are when they can provide someone with yearly living selling items that are no longer recognised
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.