Joey Dunlop Remembered

Started by gallsman, July 07, 2010, 10:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Anyone catch this show last night? Saw the last 20 minutes myself. I know sweet FA about bike racing, but Joey Dunlop was an absolute superstar and by all accounts a gentleman to boot. Thought it was great to see the regard he's still held in ten years after his death.

Aerlik

Both Joey and Robert were superstars and gentlemen.  I have both their autographs on a bit of paper.  They were so approachable and friendly.  Used to see them both regularly driving through Kilrea and they always acknowledged you.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

ziggysego

Has it really been 10 years?  :o
Testing Accessibility

the colonel

I watched it myself and thought the whole show was great, and I also know nothing about bike racing. Never forget the shock when it was announced at Casement that he died that day in Estonia. Must have been at an Ulster Final
the difference between success and failure is energy

quit yo jibbajabba

Colonel; think it was doire v antrim in the football that year;

ye hear tell of him bein a legend in other countries; and ive sometimes had my doubts; so it was good to see that they thought of him as a legend over in japan

Banana Man

I remember all of the bikes coming up from the south with his racing number on them (think it was 3). I was heading down A1 towards NEwry and there was what seemed like an endless stream of motorbikes coming up from the south. I knew/know very little about bikes but it was obvious then and still is that he had the ability to unite everyone on the island.

Met his brother Jimmy, the one who builds sheds/steel erector - absolute gent

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 07, 2010, 01:32:16 PM
Colonel; think it was doire v antrim in the football that year;
ye hear tell of him bein a legend in other countries; and ive sometimes had my doubts; so it was good to see that they thought of him as a legend over in japan

It was one of the Antrim v Derry games that year...the replay??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

quit yo jibbajabba

Was that the year of the famous draw??  If so, it was definitely the replay; as i missed the first match;

have a feeling it was after that though...

Doogie Browser

Was a great show and nice tribute to a very shy and retiring person.  Will def have to have a pint in his pub sometine.